BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

11-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
San Antonio bound

Hey all
Am PCS'ing to San Antonio next Spring and having never been to Texas for more than a few weeks (on base usually and without transportation) I just thought I'd post up and see what the pros and cons of re-locating my M3 to Texas and also what shops folks use in the San Antonio area? I have used my current shop in Maryland for 9+ years and am quite impressed with them and the relationship I've build up with the dealer/sales folks/shop & service folks so would want much of the same. Anything I definately need for an M3 in S.Texas or any vehicle as far as ownership goes?

Anyway..any tips on transporting my M3 down to SA (plan to drive it for now) and servicing it while I am there are more than welcome. Also hope you guys do informal meets occasionally like we do up here in VA/MD/DC...I suspect so...but here's pics from our most recent one...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312417

See ya in the spring.
Md
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i lived there for 2 months recently...i only saw 2 other m3's every down there (one of them was member dosserj). i had some experiences with bmw of san antonio service and i was less than impressed coming from my preferred bmw dealership here in dallas. as far as really good independent bmw/euro service shop, i never really looked, although there are few m3post'ers from the san antonio area that might know better. the roads are awful in san antonio, as well as traffic light timing (it's awful enough to remember). oh, and i hope you like mexican food, because 3/4 of the restaurants are mexican food (i love it, but it gets really old). i could go on a san antonio rant, but i'll save it for discretion.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

BMW of SA is possibly the worst dealership in Tejas. They are so bad, that I know many BMW owners who live in SA and drive to Houston, Austin, or College Station to buy or service their BMWs.

You will need a clear bra or some sort of paint protection to drive on I-35 or in the SA area generally.

I wouldn't park my M3 in at least half of SA.

The upside is that you'll be very close to Texas hill country which has some of the most fun roads in the country.
      11-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Yea I would probably take into Austin, it is about an hour away. SA is exactly what it sounds like esse
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Hmm what about Galveston? Corpus Christi? I think I'll plugg in BMW of Houston dealers into the NAV now. Clearbra too? Dayum is it that bad? I thought DC roads were bad! Any recs as to full front clear bra or what to cover? Guess I should do it before I go down huh? Am familiar with the food choices...been there many times for TDY and yes the Riverwalk does get old after the 3rd or 4th trip! LOL Too bad it that I can't get orders changed to Dallas, Houston, or Austin it sounds like me and my M3 will be all by our lonesome in the Lone Star state...at least this part of it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Hmm what about Galveston? Corpus Christi?
As far as dealerships are concerned, no dice. San Antonio is only about 45 minutes down 35 from Austin and I may be spending a lot more time there if I end up getting into grad school. If so, joining Harris Hill Road is the first thing on my list.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Hmm what about Galveston? Corpus Christi? I think I'll plugg in BMW of Houston dealers into the NAV now. Clearbra too? Dayum is it that bad? I thought DC roads were bad! Any recs as to full front clear bra or what to cover? Guess I should do it before I go down huh? Am familiar with the food choices...been there many times for TDY and yes the Riverwalk does get old after the 3rd or 4th trip! LOL Too bad it that I can't get orders changed to Dallas, Houston, or Austin it sounds like me and my M3 will be all by our lonesome in the Lone Star state...at least this part of it!
well as a native texan, i've been to the riverwalk a few times for pleasure, but didn't even go once while i was working down there. it's a crowded tourist trap and nothing else. but if you're going to be stationed in san antonio, you might as well take your bimmer to austin for anything greater than an oil change or brake service. it's closer than houston, and cooler, too. and echoing tom, i-35 between dallas and the mexican border is probably the worst stretch of road in the united states. not only is the highway in shoddy disrepair, but it needs to be 8 lanes all the way from dallas to mexico. the amount of 18-wheeler NAFTA traffic is staggering. san antonio is like a big small town. the best thing SA has got going for them are the spurs and the alamo. that's really the only two things to call home about. (and as a mavs fan, i HATE the spurs ) the town is compiled with a bunch of rough neighborhoods with a couple good neighborhoods scattered in the mix. most of the good areas are far outside of the city center (near and north of 1604), with the exception of alamo heights. but yes, clear bra is highly advisable. full front and fenders is what i'd recommend. san antonio is not an m3 friendly city. /end rant haha
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
new2bmw
Rep
Drives: '10 M3 - LMB - DCT

Uhhh ohh... I regret stumbling onto this thread. I live in SA, and just ordered my new E92 today. Now I'm gonna be scared to drive it here!

I will echo the sentiments above, regarding the Austin dealership... thats where I ordered mine, and will take it for service. (plus I have heard that they do a good job installing Dinan products)

Stay far away from BMW of San Antonio for either sales or service!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
getlucky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan

I'v been stationed in DC and just left San Antonio (Lackland) SA is by far, better than DC. Stay away from the BMW dealer. If you need some parts I have some friends that have a Aftermarket truck shop. They just ordered me a air filter for my M3. PM me if your interested. What branch are you?? You must do the Hill Country between Bandera and Medina just watch out for my brothers on the Harleys. And if you like beer go to Hills and Dales. Tell you what just shoot me a email lhardy5@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Here is a link to the local euro club: www.strictlyea.com

They are pretty cool. I joined them for a dyno day. If you go to BMW of Austin, stay away from Stan in service...total douche bag.

+1 on the clear bra. The body count from debris on TX highways is 4 windshield chips, 5 foglights and now a new windshield. Oh, and 1 bumper cover.

There are a couple of cool tracks in the area. Texas World Speedway is one of the faster ones. Plus there's an auto-x club in SA somewhere, SPOKES I think.

Tejas BMWCCA chapter is OK. They just do a monthly meet and some country cruises. No drivings schools or auto-x.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
dosserj
FOR SALE
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3

As a resident of SA and a Spurs fan I guess I should give my input. I agree the traffic is ridiculous and could easily by improved with better timed lights. I think the roads themselves are OK, however I do have sizable rock chips in my front bumper so I clear bra is not a bad idea.

I have been rear-ended 5 times in my 7 year stay in SA. Luckily only 1 was in my M3. But I got a RD Sport rear out of the deal so it's OK I guess. But seriously, people do not pay attention during peak traffic times and there is a wreck pretty much every day on my way to or from work. From 7-9AM and 4-6PM, the major highways turn into parking lots b/c of said wrecks and/or weather slowing traffic.

SA is in the top 3 most obese cities in the nation and that can be directly attributed to the Mexican food restaurants. You cannot go out without having at least 1 basket of chips and salsa. Then they bring the tortillas. And you have to finish with the delicious sopapillas. So it is easy to exceed your daily carb intake in one sitting.

The closest track is near San Marcos called Harris Hill and it is a lot of fun (about 35-40 minutes away). I'd also recommend Texas World Speedway in College Station (around 3 hours away). The M3 is a blast on both.

As every one else has mentioned, BMW SA is terrible. I ordered and service my M3 at BMW of Austin. It is only about an hour and a half away and worth the drive. I try to avoid BMW SA at all costs. I have only gone in to top off my oil. Everything else is done in Austin.

Blake hit the nail on the head about the Riverwalk. It is a complete tourist trap. There are much better (and cheaper) bar scenes elsewhere.

For any aftermarket goodies, I'd recommend The Max on San Pedro. They are mainly a tire shop but can get anything. They installed my Remus exhaust and HRE wheels. They are registered vendors for both. They'll do a good job and not cheat you on the price. In fact, I went in for tires a few weeks back and they told me to order directly from Tire Rack and ship to them because they could not beat their price. So I did and had them install them.

Hope you like it down here!
      11-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking Hey what's up Rob

Austin BMW is the best place to get your M3 taken care of. They are the only stealership I trust to take care of my M3 . You might want to go on ahead and invest in a V1. If you don't have one get one and maybe a laser jammer because the police out there use laser guns and the state troopers use instant on radar . I look forward to your arrival in spring .

Here is some helpful sites to help you counter the police

Blinder laser jammer video

http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2009/05/...treme-new.html new blinder

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/ radar detector combo and stuff

http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html Spectra radar detector detector

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/index2.html laser interceptor

http://www.laserveil.com/laser/detectors/performance/

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
well as a native texan, i've been to the riverwalk a few times for pleasure, but didn't even go once while i was working down there. it's a crowded tourist trap and nothing else. but if you're going to be stationed in san antonio, you might as well take your bimmer to austin for anything greater than an oil change or brake service. it's closer than houston, and cooler, too. and echoing tom, i-35 between dallas and the mexican border is probably the worst stretch of road in the united states. not only is the highway in shoddy disrepair, but it needs to be 8 lanes all the way from dallas to mexico. the amount of 18-wheeler NAFTA traffic is staggering. san antonio is like a big small town. the best thing SA has got going for them are the spurs and the alamo. that's really the only two things to call home about. (and as a mavs fan, i HATE the spurs ) the town is compiled with a bunch of rough neighborhoods with a couple good neighborhoods scattered in the mix. most of the good areas are far outside of the city center (near and north of 1604), with the exception of alamo heights. but yes, clear bra is highly advisable. full front and fenders is what i'd recommend. san antonio is not an m3 friendly city. /end rant haha
Okay...i hear most of the military types live up north then. Make note to myself call the realtor early regarding rentals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw View Post
Uhhh ohh... I regret stumbling onto this thread. I live in SA, and just ordered my new E92 today. Now I'm gonna be scared to drive it here!

I will echo the sentiments above, regarding the Austin dealership... thats where I ordered mine, and will take it for service. (plus I have heard that they do a good job installing Dinan products)

Stay far away from BMW of San Antonio for either sales or service!!
Note to self...look at BMW SA for parts pickup ONLY unless the M3 implodes on I-10 or something! Otherwise wave at it as you head to the SA Airport or something! Dayum guys how can they be THAT bad and be the only BMW dealership in the city? I guess Austin and/or Houston are my alternatives. Anyone have address/contact info for good folks at either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlucky View Post
I'v been stationed in DC and just left San Antonio (Lackland) SA is by far, better than DC. Stay away from the BMW dealer. If you need some parts I have some friends that have a Aftermarket truck shop. They just ordered me a air filter for my M3. PM me if your interested. What branch are you?? You must do the Hill Country between Bandera and Medina just watch out for my brothers on the Harleys. And if you like beer go to Hills and Dales. Tell you what just shoot me a email lhardy5@gmail.com
Okay thanks for the tip. Will shoot you and email. I am AF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Here is a link to the local euro club: www.strictlyea.com

They are pretty cool. I joined them for a dyno day. If you go to BMW of Austin, stay away from Stan in service...total douche bag.

+1 on the clear bra. The body count from debris on TX highways is 4 windshield chips, 5 foglights and now a new windshield. Oh, and 1 bumper cover.

There are a couple of cool tracks in the area. Texas World Speedway is one of the faster ones. Plus there's an auto-x club in SA somewhere, SPOKES I think.

Tejas BMWCCA chapter is OK. They just do a monthly meet and some country cruises. No drivings schools or auto-x.
will check out all the above. Also note to self clear bra...look up links! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosserj View Post
As a resident of SA and a Spurs fan I guess I should give my input. I agree the traffic is ridiculous and could easily by improved with better timed lights. I think the roads themselves are OK, however I do have sizable rock chips in my front bumper so I clear bra is not a bad idea.

I have been rear-ended 5 times in my 7 year stay in SA. Luckily only 1 was in my M3. But I got a RD Sport rear out of the deal so it's OK I guess. But seriously, people do not pay attention during peak traffic times and there is a wreck pretty much every day on my way to or from work. From 7-9AM and 4-6PM, the major highways turn into parking lots b/c of said wrecks and/or weather slowing traffic.

SA is in the top 3 most obese cities in the nation and that can be directly attributed to the Mexican food restaurants. You cannot go out without having at least 1 basket of chips and salsa. Then they bring the tortillas. And you have to finish with the delicious sopapillas. So it is easy to exceed your daily carb intake in one sitting.

The closest track is near San Marcos called Harris Hill and it is a lot of fun (about 35-40 minutes away). I'd also recommend Texas World Speedway in College Station (around 3 hours away). The M3 is a blast on both.

As every one else has mentioned, BMW SA is terrible. I ordered and service my M3 at BMW of Austin. It is only about an hour and a half away and worth the drive. I try to avoid BMW SA at all costs. I have only gone in to top off my oil. Everything else is done in Austin.

Blake hit the nail on the head about the Riverwalk. It is a complete tourist trap. There are much better (and cheaper) bar scenes elsewhere.

For any aftermarket goodies, I'd recommend The Max on San Pedro. They are mainly a tire shop but can get anything. They installed my Remus exhaust and HRE wheels. They are registered vendors for both. They'll do a good job and not cheat you on the price. In fact, I went in for tires a few weeks back and they told me to order directly from Tire Rack and ship to them because they could not beat their price. So I did and had them install them.

Hope you like it down here!
Okay additional note.. I think I'll clear bra both the M3 and my Boxster before I arrive. May also do the wife's SUV too but then its a lease so I likely will not since its going back to the dealer likely when its time is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Austin BMW is the best place to get your M3 taken care of. They are the only stealership I trust to take care of my M3 . You might want to go on ahead and invest in a V1. If you don't have one get one and maybe a laser jammer because the police out there use laser guns and the state troopers use instant on radar . I look forward to your arrival in spring .

Here is some helpful sites to help you counter the police

Blinder laser jammer video

http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2009/05/...treme-new.html new blinder

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/ radar detector combo and stuff

http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html Spectra radar detector detector

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/index2.html laser interceptor

http://www.laserveil.com/laser/detectors/performance/
Shady I have an Escort Solo already but hmm a V1 and hardwire install may be warranted. What is the radar policy/law in Texas? Legal in MD but illegal in Texas in this area. What about GPS radar detectors...any good?

Wow...thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Also note to self clear bra...look up links! LOL
I'm not sure what's in SATX but there's a place in Austin that's pretty awesome and they really like military there.

http://www.suntint.com/

The owner is really cool and they do pretty good work. The best is that they are really good at taking care of you after the sale. And they have wireless internet while you wait.

I had my front bumper done and then brought in some headlight trims to get clear bra'd a couple of months later. He did it for free.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

hey mdrobc13, do you work at ft. sam?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel