BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Sun visors

Am having trouble finding replacement sun visors which are:
- anthracite (black)
- cloth
- with mirror
- no safety label

I tried one from ECS which looked great and fit perfectly, but it would not trigger the light when the cover was opened.

Has anyone had issues finding working replacements? Mine are very old now and looking pretty nappy...
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:
Found some new sun visors from GetBMWParts.com. They look GREAT...but as with the ECS sun visor it will not turn on the light.

Any thoughts for how to troubleshoot? have tried both sides...have tried with car on/off...have rechecked that old visors both DO tun the lights on and off.

Pin connectors seem identical...am really mystified. Help!?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

And the old ones triggered the light? Doesn't make any sense if they did because these parts don't require coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

use a multimeter and confirm continuity.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Am having trouble finding replacement sun visors which are:
- anthracite (black)
- cloth
- with mirror
- no safety label

I tried one from ECS which looked great and fit perfectly, but it would not trigger the light when the cover was opened.

Has anyone had issues finding working replacements? Mine are very old now and looking pretty nappy...
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I think I have the easiest solution for you that I found yesterday installing my new sun visors!
      04-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Have not had time to do any troubleshooting since my post. Yes...the old visors DO trigger the light. Checking continuity is a good idea...will try it in a day or two when I get some time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I think I have the easiest solution for you that I found yesterday installing my new sun visors!
Let's hear it!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #8
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
Let's hear it!
The car runs off of memory. As I swapped in my new visors I thought about your post and sure enough as I connected my visor and slid the door to activate the light nothing happened. I disconnected and reconnected my old visor and presto!, light works again! So I just decided to go ahead and install the new visors and search online for possible answers. During this time, I locked my car to allow it to go to sleep. 15 min later, I return to wake up the car and recheck the visors. This time they both worked. So my hypothesis is that you have to allow the car to sleep so that it can adapt to whatever was added.
      04-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

So...I reinstalled both of the new sun visors and things worked just fine. I did not perform a reset on the car of any sort (installed them with key present but ignition off). The only difference might have been that the doors were open...maybe having the dome light on energized a circuit somewhere? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I do think Atomicteal_M3 is on to something. I just did not need it for my particular circumstance.

But at least they are working! Only downside now is that they still have the really ugly warning sticker on them (I sent the non-sticker one from ECS back since I thought it was faulty...doh!).
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #10
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
So...I reinstalled both of the new sun visors and things worked just fine. I did not perform a reset on the car of any sort (installed them with key present but ignition off). The only difference might have been that the doors were open...maybe having the dome light on energized a circuit somewhere? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I do think Atomicteal_M3 is on to something. I just did not need it for my particular circumstance.

But at least they are working! Only downside now is that they still have the really ugly warning sticker on them (I sent the non-sticker one from ECS back since I thought it was faulty...doh!).
Glad you got it sorted. Yeah I had mine alcantara wrapped. Can't stand the warning stickers!
Attached Images

05-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #11
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Just to add to this... I recently installed some new euro sun visors, and they worked immediately after plugging them in. Car did not have to go to sleep.
Appreciate 0