BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
Immy68
Rep
Drives: m3

New owner.. But not very happy?

Hey guys..so I finally bought my first EVER 2 door sports car, a 2011 e92 m3 with 50k miles on it in Jet black. I've been looking to get a new car for over 2 months and finally found this one for relatively cheap. It's been a couple of days now and I'm kind of overwhelmed..and underwhelmed as well. To be honest I'm having some buyers regret right now.

A little backround. I'm 29 years old and in my whole life all I've been driving are hondas, toyotas, lexus and such. You get the picture. Boring slow cars that have no personality or emotion to them.

Well to celebrate my new job I wanted to get a 2 door sports car while I'm young. After many research and reviews I've decided on the e92 m3. I don't think i've EVER driven a real sports car before. I just wanted a "trophy" car for my new job and honestly wanted to look cool in a 2 door sports car while I'm young. I drive around the city a lot. Anyways after purchasing the car and driving it around the city for a few days I'm not really sure if this car was the right car for me. I did test drive this car in the highway but not very much around the city. I probably should of done that before buying..

Anyways here are some problems I have with the car.

1. Ride quality. I honestly could not have imagined this would be a big problem, but it is. Is it supposed to be this uncomfortable? I have the ZCP option and driving around town even in comfort mode is terrible...I feel every bump and the car is just very jerky and rough, especially at stop and go traffic..Is this normal? Again I never driven a "real" sports car in my life.

2. Low torque. Not to much of a big deal but its a shame that it is there. You can totally feel the power at the high end but by that time you reach the high end you are totally going past city speed limits...which is a big big shame.

3. Speakers. I know this is a performance sports car and you should be listening to the engine. But to be honest sometimes I just want to cruise around town playing my favorite songs. It's very therapeutic for me and sadly the speakers in this car is a big dissapointment. I'm not sure if it's because of my EQ settings (I'm using the ones from this forum) but it's simply underwhelming compared to many cheaper cars. My car has EPS as well (the gold speakers)

Some suprisingly good things about this car that might suprise people...

1. Fuel economy. It's terrible but I don't think its THAT bad for a sports car. I've driven a lot and in 3 days I'm still in my first fuel tank. I don't drive spirited like most people so it's pretty good for me!

2. Cup holders. Why do people say it suck? I've used it a couple times now and it holds it just in place. Don't see what the problem is here..

3. The exterior of the car is simply amazing. It is truly a timeless car and it just looks so sexy in jet black. This car will NEVER go out in style.

Well what do you guys think? I know it is my fault that I should of test driven it more. I did a TON of research before buying this car and thought it would be a good car for me. The ride quality is just killing it for me right now. I'm going to keep driving it for a couple days to see if I can get used to it.

(I will upload pictures tomorrow)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:11 AM   #2
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

1) You could always get coilovers, though on stock I agree it is pretty bumpy but that the best part! You feel more of the road.

2) SUPERCHARGER!!

3) Are you sure you have individual audio? Run your VIN.

Cup holders suck ass on BMWs
IanMan384.00
Makaveli7116.50
      11-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
The comfort mode with ZCP is, in terms of sports/sporty cars, reasonable. If your benchmark was a Civic, you will be disappointed. I think something like an Audi S4 would be more to your liking. Or you can go drive a 911 and think your M3 is a Buick in comparison.

I’m chuckling that you selected an M3, given that your normal profile is cruising around listening to music. I’m one of the older guys on this forum and take it easy most of the time, but I think the ride quality is the perfect compromise between handling and comfort and think the S65 is the best song on the radio.
Appreciate 14
      11-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You’re coming from Lexus’ which are numb in feeling with zero road feedback, you wanted a sports car and it’s exactly what you got.

You probably had the typical test drive where you trashed the car at 6k rpm and thought it’s great, people need to realize a test drive should reflect the way the car performs in the manner of which you drive the car 90% of the time.

Maybe you should’ve bought an F82
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
You’re coming from Lexus’ which are numb in feeling with zero road feedback, you wanted a sports car and it’s exactly what you got.

You probably had the typical test drive where you trashed the car at 6k rpm and thought it’s great, people need to realize a test drive should reflect the way the car performs in the manner of which you drive the car 90% of the time.

Maybe you should’ve bought an F82
F82 is even stiffer in terms of ride quality. It’s bordeline bad.

The e92 is surprisingly raw, especially when put in context with a normal car. I love that about it, and it’s not my daily driver.

I guess the car has low torque, but I like revving it out (manual).

One thing you could try is having the gts dct tuning done, which helps the transmission be snappier and doesn’t get lost as much as the stock programming.

Overall it is a little rough and edgy, and if that’s not a good fit for you, I can see how that would be possible.

Something like an Audi s4 may be a better fit.

Of if you want to stick with the e92 body style, I would bet a 335is would be a perfect fit for you. Maybe try to find one to test drive. The n54 is a great engine that sounds great in the 335is, and the e92 cars all have really good steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
LostPanda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 M3 , 02' E46 M3

Lol wants a trophy car and gets a E92 M3, big mistake.
Appreciate 4
wfdeacon881104.00
94jedi829.00
6ixSpd6011.50
      11-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #7
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I love the low torque complaints.
>buy a small displacement NA V8 with 8400rpm redline
>wonder why it doesn't pull like mad at 2k rpm

LOGIC

I think the ride quality in comfort mode with stock zcp setup is great, probably better than my previous e92 325i M sport with eibach springs. Maybe you have lowering springs installed and are not aware?
M3LVIN11.00
scrammer421.50
      11-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Yeah I was going to suggest the 335. It's a refined ride appropriate for a daily. Completely different feel.

For the torque, I suggest the alpine tune from alex. It helps.

In terms of rigidity, you'll love it on the highway. On crappy city roads not so much. If you are only doing city all the time you could change to 18 rims, I personally like the 219s (sell me your 359s :-D) But then you get into modding.

This is a car if you're not used to you will learn to love but you may need a reference to truly appreciate what it really is. I still have my old 330 around as it was almost a loss to sell, I fixed it up and time to time I enjoy getting into a still sporty but much quieter ride.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

The E92 has a harsh ride? Go drive a 911!

If you aren't happy sell and move on.
My M3 is great to me and NOT for sale.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
DrFerry6727.00
      11-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

This is an odd post to be honest. You are going to get crucified here for your naivete.

Lets get honest about sports cars. The ride is rougher than a regular car. Thats on purpose. The ride on the M3 is not rough for a sports car. Its a good balance between a luxury car and a sports car. Turn EDC off and learn to get used to it if you decide to keep the car. I think the comfort of the m3 seats is excellent. I have a bad back and I can do long drives in this car no problem.

The torque issue on the low end you are calling out is real. The car needs to be wound out to get all the power out of it when in stock form. Its a driving style thing and you will learn to keep the car in the middle of the RPM band to get the power you want when you want it. As mentioned you can rid yourself of this issue if you supercharge the car. But really, you dont need to to get a lot of driving enjoyment out of the car. It takes some time to learn how to manage the linear power band of the s65 motor.

Stereos are something you can easily swap out to your taste. I find the stock radio to be fine overall.

I think you may need to drive more sports cars and determine if your dream car is really a sports car or a sporty luxury car. On paper, cars may look great, but the best research is driving them. Its easy to get an idea in your head that is not in tune with the reality of owning it. You sound like someone who might better enjoy a Tesla or an M ized SUV.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 11-15-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6727.00
Aries326195.00
scrammer421.50
saaron1.50
      11-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Yeesh. And my biggest dilemma is do I crank the tunes or listen to the engine.

I live in a city as well. I can tell you I totally get what you're talking about with feeling like the experience of the car is baffled by city driving. Ive always been the type of person who will get in a car and drive because I'm bored and am no stranger to doing loser laps around town. I've never been one to get on the highway to cruise, but I find myself regularly jumping on the interstate. We have some beautiful highways down where I am tough (275 between Tampa and St Pete, skyway bridge, Courtney Campbell causeway, etc).

I'm struggling with finding good quiet roads to enjoy the car on. Fortunately my exhaust is really loud so I get to really be a dick when going under overpasses.

Anyway- I get you on the city driving thing and for the last month and a half It's been really bothering me, to the point where I started looking at houses in the middle of nowhere on Zillow. Haha.
      11-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

did you do even a minute of research before you bought this car??
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      11-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Anyway- I get you on the city driving thing and for the last month and a half It's been really bothering me, to the point where I started looking at houses in the middle of nowhere on Zillow. Haha.
I feel you on this, Philly traffic/city driving was brutal. I put up with it til my lease ran out, but I wanted more space and a garage so moved out to Jersey. I still work in Philly, but right next to the highway so fortuantely don't have to drive in the city anymore. This car is just not meant for stop and go traffic, really pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

1). Ride quality on ZCP suspension is excellent for this type of car. It's busy but responsive and comfortable. If you don't like it you bought the wrong car.

2) There is plenty of torque. You just can't expect it below 3k rpms but if you want to move, you have to drive this car waaay different than most. Use 1st and second gear more fully around town. Learn to modulate throttle both on and off because accel/decel are super finicky and abrupt. If you don't like it you bought the wrong car.

3) do your speakers have all black grill covers or silver at edges? If the latter you have enhanced premium sound and need to search how to tune it. If not, your stereo sucks and you bought the wrong car.
Appreciate 2
xcusem3456.50
Norms67.00
      11-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #15
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post

1. Ride quality.
2. Low torque.
3. Speakers.
The M3 by definition of character doesn't cater to any of these three points (nor has any prior generation M3). If these are top on your list then a sports car in general probably isn't what you're looking for. The M3 was designed for well rounded agility and is mostly appreciated as a streetable track car by weekend performance drivers who can't stand to drive a numb, diluted coupe during the week.
Appreciate 4
PACarGuy677.50
shellb339.00
ganz150.00
      11-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I hated the stock ride quality because sport+ wasn't stiff enough! Comfort felt dull. I had a tough time distinguishing between sport + and comfort. Perhaps my module was faulty or something but I never got codes. Idk. I upgraded to stiffer springs with my coilovers so no complaints anymore.

The EPS speakers in mine are good enough for me. Good bass and midtones for my music. If anything I'd upgrade the subs to something a little more powerful if a nice black friday deal is around the corner.

Low torque just means you get to hear the S65 roar! I haven't driven a S/C'd s65 but if S/C owners tell me its the same linear power delivery as stock I'd doubt it would do much for torque? Around town I rarely go over 4k RPM. Anything above 3K RPM really with a straight pipe and I get all the civics trying to race me. I've gotten used to the low end torque and I don't really have issues driving in town. Perhaps take some more time to get used to how the s65 works?

This car is a great balance between power, looks, reliability & driveability. I'm actually surprised how well its aged for me. Only issue I had to pay out of pocket was a faulty injector in cyl. 5. Everything else was preventative maintenance or done while I'm in there.
      11-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Change your spark plugs. Mine had no low torque whatsoever before, now it does everything much smoother and better.
      11-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
May be true to find someone else with an me and good condition to see how the ride quality in that car will be. Could be wheels, tires, suspension issues in your car may be? I've had Toyotas all my life then moved to BMWs and oov| the transitions. Funny I found e9x m3 more comfy then my modded 335\328.

I def agree with you to the fullest on cup holders. Ive spent 7 years in my e90 and I love those cup holders.

Torque yes, my 335 n54 was fun compared to m3 in the city. As of late I don't know why but anytime I sit in 335 it's like meh but when I get to drive my friend's m3 I just love it. Torque is not on my mind much when I drive the m3. 6spd, the engine , the feel of the m3 does it for me.
      11-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Stiff is what you want, it gives you fell rather than floaty like most luxury vehicles. I love the feeling I could tell when I ran over a nickel.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Sounds like you just bought the wrong car. My E90 ZCP is a great daily driver and for what it is, the ride is compliant. Doesn't sound like a sports car is for you.

Also, the low end torque kinda baffles me. If you're accelerating hard why are you shifting before the torque curve? M cars aren't made to pussy foot around. They're made to be driven and driven hard. You'll do more harm pussy footing and putting around then you will beating on it. A reputable member on the E46 forum had a discussion about oil weight for the S54 with an executive from BMW M. And while his question was geared towards oil weight, he asked what about those people who daily their M3s and don't carry the car through redline often? The response was why buy an M car? A 330 is still a great car and enjoyable when needed without the cost. Point is, maybe consider a 335 or S4. An M car is more geared for driving hard and handling, with comfort lower on the list
      11-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #21
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think you should sell your M3 and get a Lexus or a SUV. A sports car is not for you my friend. I feel like your expectations are off for what a sports car does and its overall purpose. Feeling the road is a goal for a sports car not an issue. You need a luxury car.
      11-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

I say take it on a long high way drive. I drove across the entire US in this thing and on the right mountain road it is a marvel. Miles just slipped by, super comfy. In the least do this for yourself before you sell so you understand what this car is all about. It may convince you to keep it.
Appreciate 0