BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Fuel Tank Vent Valve Help/Question

I have been getting an increased engine emission light and gas cap error for the better part of 4 months. I replaced the gas cap and no changes and then i replaced the DTML pump (this is the code) and the error never changed. I have the long crank and fluctuating idle after fill up so I though perhaps the fuel tank vent valve was the issue.

Prior to all of this I had an increased emission light and the dealer replaced the water pump.

Fast forward to today and I am tackling the Fuel Tank Vent Valve and to my surprise the back (idle control tube) tube on the intake plenum was never connected back from the dealer. Really???!!!

Now I am at a point where I can (a) reconnect the hose to the intake plenum and see if that fixes the problem as I am not sure what that hose even does.

Would you all think that having that hose loose would cause the check engine, long crank and fluttery idle??

Here is a picture of the tube not connected to the plenum.
Attached Images

Last edited by ATLIEN; 04-19-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881105.00
DrFerry6728.50
      04-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Try reconnecting the hose and see if symptoms persist. I would think a big hole in the intake plenum causes some issues, but then again these engines don't have a MAF sensor to meter air intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutak View Post
Try reconnecting the hose and see if symptoms persist. I would think a big hole in the intake plenum causes some issues, but then again these engines don't have a MAF sensor to meter air intake.
That's what I did. Reconnected and put it all back together. It cranked up just fine but the check engine light is still on. I'll reset it and take it for a spin. If anything, I learned how to take the plenum off an put back on. Not too bad of a job once you've done it once.
      04-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

How are your motor mounts? If they're really bad the incorrect height causes the breather to get twisted/flexed and doesn't allow proper ventilation. Just a thought. Hopefully you figure it out. What specific code did you get with the increased emissions?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpark1977 View Post
How are your motor mounts? If they're really bad the incorrect height causes the breather to get twisted/flexed and doesn't allow proper ventilation. Just a thought. Hopefully you figure it out. What specific code did you get with the increased emissions?
Quote:
I'm not 100% on the motor mounts. It's been dealer serviced for the past year and they've not mentioned it. As for codes,
I got the dtml code.
      04-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not 100% on the motor mounts. It's been dealer serviced for the past year and they've not mentioned it. As for codes,
I got the dtml code.
I'm not familiar with dtml, I was thinking the code like P206 or something.
You can see your mounts from the front wheel well, YouTube has a vid. If there not obviously disintegrating, probably not your problem.
Software update could be worth a shot? Idk if that could cause your faults. Again. Buena suerte.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You can see your mounts from the front wheel well, YouTube has a vid. If there not obviously disintegrating, probably not your problem.
Software update could be worth a shot? Idk if that could cause your faults. Again. Buena suerte.
Thanks. I filled up the tank and got the same longish crank but no idle issues. Probably should have swapped in the new part while I was in there but hate to fix a problem that does not exist. I've got COVID-19 time on my hands so it's all good.
      04-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I filled up the tank and got the same longish crank but no idle issues. Probably should have swapped in the new part while I was in there but hate to fix a problem that does not exist. I've got COVID-19 time on my hands so it's all good.
I started getting the famous breather valve issue last week I got the new valve installed yesterday problem solve that will cause idle issues and the car shut off sometimes easy to replace besides the back house is pita to get out but nothing that some picks can take care of
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
I started getting the famous breather valve issue last week I got the new valve installed yesterday problem solve that will cause idle issues and the car shut off sometimes easy to replace besides the back house is pita to get out but nothing that some picks can take care of
Interesting. I will keep an eye out on the idle now that it's buttoned back up. While test driving it I got a DCT overheat alert which freaked me out. Hopefully it was nothing major but we'll see.
      04-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I will keep an eye out on the idle now that it's buttoned back up. While test driving it I got a DCT overheat alert which freaked me out. Hopefully it was nothing major but we'll see.
get under the car and check if your trans pan may be wet if it's then you need to replace the fluid along with new gasket your car may be running low on trans fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #11
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
get under the car and check if your trans pan may be wet if it's then you need to replace the fluid along with new gasket your car may be running low on trans fluid
Ok. I will check that out.