BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Sgt. Schultz
New Member
18
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 convertible
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Paulland, Paullywood

iTrader: (0)

yellow "MDM" light in dash inoperable

My yellow MDM light in the cluster stopped illuminating out of nowhere - used to come on when pressing the "M" button on the steering wheel. Tried drilling thru all the iDrive menus but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Car seems fine otherwise - any insight apprecaited, TIA...
__________________
current: '08 M3 vert / '87 930 / '13 GL450
previous: '07 S6 / '98 M3 vert / '01 M5 / '05 S600 biturbo12 / '96 993 C2 cab / '01 S8 / '58 TR3A / '95 S6 6spd / '87 190E 2.3-16 / '88 M5 / '80 242GT / '76 VW Westfalia
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Ngilbe36
Lieutenant
Ngilbe36's Avatar
United_States
415
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 IB
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Troy, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
My yellow MDM light in the cluster stopped illuminating out of nowhere - used to come on when pressing the "M" button on the steering wheel. Tried drilling thru all the iDrive menus but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Car seems fine otherwise - any insight apprecaited, TIA...
The setting for your M-mode must no longer be setting your traction control system into MDM. If that isn't the issue and you can feel it in MDM you probably just need a new LED which I have not heard of happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
545
Rep
1,080
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
Plus one see if m drive sets dsc to mdm
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Sgt. Schultz
New Member
18
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 convertible
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Paulland, Paullywood

iTrader: (0)

sorry for my ignorance, but how can I determine that?

I've never understood the difference in the M button and the MDM mode, shamefully... I've read about it but not understanding it (I'm a dolt apparently lol)
__________________
current: '08 M3 vert / '87 930 / '13 GL450
previous: '07 S6 / '98 M3 vert / '01 M5 / '05 S600 biturbo12 / '96 993 C2 cab / '01 S8 / '58 TR3A / '95 S6 6spd / '87 190E 2.3-16 / '88 M5 / '80 242GT / '76 VW Westfalia
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
cae93
Private
62
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
sorry for my ignorance, but how can I determine that?

I've never understood the difference in the M button and the MDM mode, shamefully... I've read about it but not understanding it (I'm a dolt apparently lol)
Your "M" button just sets the car to a set of presets that you can configure through the I-drive menu. "MDM" is one of the setting for the stability control, your choices being "nanny me", "help me out a bit (MDM)" or "let me do this myself" (stability control off). The "M" setting is more than just MDM, it sets the shift speed, suspension (if you have EDC), steering feel/weight etc. Most people set this up to the "sport" mode for their car when they really want to drive, but you could just as easily set it up for "MOM' mode, where everything was a soft/safe as possible.
Appreciate 1
Scharbag728.00

      07-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Scharbag
Captain
Scharbag's Avatar
Canada
728
Rep
847
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Victoria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cae93 View Post
Your "M" button just sets the car to a set of presets that you can configure through the I-drive menu. "MDM" is one of the setting for the stability control, your choices being "nanny me", "help me out a bit (MDM)" or "let me do this myself" (stability control off). The "M" setting is more than just MDM, it sets the shift speed, suspension (if you have EDC), steering feel/weight etc. Most people set this up to the "sport" mode for their car when they really want to drive, but you could just as easily set it up for "MOM' mode, where everything was a soft/safe as possible.
Now that is a great response and why these forums are helpful. Kudos to you for simply sharing good info.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, Dinan Stuff
A wise friend told me "I stopped trying to make a slow car go fast. Instead, I bought a fast car." Sound advice.
Appreciate 2
cae9361.50
ItsGary1236.00

      07-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Sgt. Schultz
New Member
18
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 convertible
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Paulland, Paullywood

iTrader: (0)

thanks much for the detailed insight, it's helpful and appreciated - I'll dig deeper
__________________
current: '08 M3 vert / '87 930 / '13 GL450
previous: '07 S6 / '98 M3 vert / '01 M5 / '05 S600 biturbo12 / '96 993 C2 cab / '01 S8 / '58 TR3A / '95 S6 6spd / '87 190E 2.3-16 / '88 M5 / '80 242GT / '76 VW Westfalia
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST