BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #771
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

roastbeef
http://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-279...ilpage_o02_s00

This is the one I use. Works for me. Feel free to borrow and try it out.
      05-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #772
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
BTW, for this to work I also need a seat that allows the seat belt receptacle to pass through the transmission tunnel side pass-thru. Not sure how possible that is yet.

Edit: One example here: LINK

Or if I could just souce an M4 GTS seat, M4 GTS Recaro Profi
all seats have the pass through on both sides right? Just have to adjust where you mount your seat belt receptacle in order to do this. I'll take two pics from my car at lunch and post.

driver and passenger side have different hardware so I have different solutions for this to work.
      05-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #773
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

On my car they just sit next to the seat facing up. No idea how safe it is, but the belt still rests low across my lap and across my chest.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #774
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Has anyone configured their Schroth QFP's with a sub-belt? I checked mine and they do allow for a single-clip anti-sub strap to connect in, Schroth Anti-sub Straps

My plan would be to swap in a driver's side one-piece seat at some point before/after each track event. It sounds painful I know but I dont do that many events per year and it would only be one side (mostly solo now).

This EAS install video makes it look fairly easy also, LINK
Quote:
The HMS description seems to imply they work together:
"Substraps play an integral role in harness safety, especially in harnesses without ASM. If yours is frayed or has been comprimised you need a new one. If you have a 4 point competition style harness with ASM and are looking to upgrade, the substrap is the easiest way to satisfy most sanctioning bodies."

I've emailed them to confirm though, will let you know.
Quote:
BTW, for this to work I also need a seat that allows the seat belt receptacle to pass through the transmission tunnel side pass-thru. Not sure how possible that is yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
all seats have the pass through on both sides right? Just have to adjust where you mount your seat belt receptacle in order to do this. I'll take two pics from my car at lunch and post.

driver and passenger side have different hardware so I have different solutions for this to work.
So I talked with HMS and unfortunately they do not recommend this configuration. One thing they mentioned was that they sled test the particular OEM seats from each car they approve for use with the QFP's and since they don't do the same test with racing seats, they don't know how they would hold up. They instead recommended holding off and getting either a harness bar or half-cage when I transition to racing seats. Bummer but good to know before I started ordering parts! I just need to remind myself to be patient, half-cage plans aren't too far away.
      05-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #775
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
These NT-01s may be a tad too wide for 18x9 wheels.

The one with camber wear has been flipped. Would it be better to put the one with more wear (which is also a year newer) in the front or back? Camber is -3.0°F and -1.8°R
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #776
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han
These NT-01s may be a tad too wide for 18x9 wheels.

The one with camber wear has been flipped. Would it be better to put the one with more wear (which is also a year newer) in the front or back? Camber is -3.0°F and -1.8°R
To even them out I would put the ones with more wear in the back
      05-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #777
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin
Quote:
Has anyone configured their Schroth QFP's with a sub-belt? I checked mine and they do allow for a single-clip anti-sub strap to connect in, Schroth Anti-sub Straps

My plan would be to swap in a driver's side one-piece seat at some point before/after each track event. It sounds painful I know but I dont do that many events per year and it would only be one side (mostly solo now).

This EAS install video makes it look fairly easy also, LINK
Quote:
The HMS description seems to imply they work together:
"Substraps play an integral role in harness safety, especially in harnesses without ASM. If yours is frayed or has been comprimised you need a new one. If you have a 4 point competition style harness with ASM and are looking to upgrade, the substrap is the easiest way to satisfy most sanctioning bodies."

I've emailed them to confirm though, will let you know.
Quote:

Quote:

So I talked with HMS and unfortunately they do not recommend this configuration. One thing they mentioned was that they sled test the particular OEM seats from each car they approve for use with the QFP's and since they don't do the same test with racing seats, they don't know how they would hold up. They instead recommended holding off and getting either a harness bar or half-cage when I transition to racing seats. Bummer but good to know before I started ordering parts! I just need to remind myself to be patient, half-cage plans aren't too far away.
I think as long as lap belt sits properly or shouldn't be a problem. Or add the sub belt for added safety
      05-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #778
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Agreed that's what I would do but I wear my rear inner edges more on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #779
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
roastbeef
http://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-279...ilpage_o02_s00

This is the one I use. Works for me. Feel free to borrow and try it out.
i saw that one and thought bout it, but wasn't sure how slim it gets... i'll have to borrow it and see if it works for me.
      05-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #780
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
dogbone, was your girodisc pad spreader a good investment? anyone else on here have one? is it as easy as it is described to be?

i have had this one on order from amazon twice now (the first order was cancelled after it wasn't fulfilled after 30 days).
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Qu...e+pad+spreader
I used his a few times and it works great. I just refuse to spend that much so I bought the Lisle one you linked to. It works well but can't grab all 3 pistons so I still end up having to muscle the third by hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #781
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
I used his a few times and it works great. I just refuse to spend that much so I bought the Lisle one you linked to. It works well but can't grab all 3 pistons so I still end up having to muscle the third by hand.
I just use the Lisle against the backing plates of the brake pads while they're still in the caliper, works well for the Stoptech ST-40 caliper at least.
      05-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #782
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:
dogbone, was your girodisc pad spreader a good investment? anyone else on here have one? is it as easy as it is described to be?

i have had this one on order from amazon twice now (the first order was cancelled after it wasn't fulfilled after 30 days).
Does the giro disc get all three?
      05-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #783
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
It works well but can't grab all 3 pistons so I still end up having to muscle the third by hand.
I end up having to walk mine up and down the pads a bit as I spread them incrementally. But yes, I don't think it works quite the same as it would with two pistons per side where you simply insert it and then squeeze.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #784
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

do any of you coilover track guys with two way and/or four way adjustable coilovers adjust them from track to track? i'm starting to do some looking and want to weigh my options. is there more to performance than being able to adjust them? is the valving more efficient when you can adjust it four ways?
does the car behave differently with fast/slow bumps between the two way and four way shocks?
      05-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #785
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:

Does the giro disc get all three?
Yep
      05-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #786
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do any of you coilover track guys with two way and/or four way adjustable coilovers adjust them from track to track? i'm starting to do some looking and want to weigh my options. is there more to performance than being able to adjust them? is the valving more efficient when you can adjust it four ways?
does the car behave differently with fast/slow bumps between the two way and four way shocks?
I'm not that hard core, but I'd love to hear others experience. This is a hobby for me, but if I cared about winning I would totally do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #787
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Set it and forget it lol

I've seen people press pistons with flathead isn't that possible?
      05-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #788
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Don't kid yourself. You barely want to swap/rotate tires at the track, you think you will actually adjust. lmao.
      05-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #789
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Agreed that's what I would do but I wear my rear inner edges more on the brakes.
Thanks. Normally you would expect the rears to wear more, but on track, cornering actually causes fronts to wear more? That's what I was thinking at first.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #790
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Thanks. Normally you would expect the rears to wear more, but on track, cornering actually causes fronts to wear more? That's what I was thinking at first.
For me it's front outsides (wears quickly), rear insides (doesn't wear as much pending power slides....)
      05-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #791
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
2 way adjustable is as far as I would go - unless you are spending weekends testing and tuning for millions in prize money.

compression - should be set it and forget it. start soft, then increase until car starts skipping instead of gripping - you've passed the point you want to be.

rebound - start at recommended settings (short cut) then adjust as needed depending on car's response to your inputs.

i change a little here and there but mostly it's already set to my liking.
      05-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #792
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Don't kid yourself. You barely want to swap/rotate tires at the track, you think you will actually adjust. lmao.
I guess it depends on how accessible the adjustment knobs are, I think.

When I had Ohlins on the evo, the rears were at the top of the strut towers and the fronts were under the strut near the knuckle. I had to get the car up to make adjustments, but it wasn't too bad. Just jack up the car and reach under the wheel.

I don't think I would have put the car up on stands and then broke out the spanner wrenches or anything at the track though. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

However, when I put in my JRZs, I'll be mounting the external reservoirs in places that are way more accessible.

Like this:

Appreciate 0