BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

INDustry distribution

11-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #45
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooksdaddy View Post
my car was doing the same as yours, random clock resets, comfort access was flakey. Then I was getting random stalls when stopped. The final straw was my wife started on the side of be there H1 in Hawaii cause the car just straight died.
Took to the shop. they swore up and down was the battery. Battery swapped coded and within minutes of start up, it would trip a fault. they then thought it was the battery cable bulletin, changed that and same. Called another BMW Indy and they chatted and came to the conclusion it was the alternator. Changed that and zero issues. took four days in the shop to figure it out.
And what voltage did the shops measure over the battery poles, prior alternator being replaced?

As I would have thought a faulty alternator would be possible to detect in a blink, and it took 4 days, Im curious how the fault was shown/detected.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #46
chrisymarr
Private
Rep
Drives: 318d

Thanks all for all the help its really appreciated.

So my cable arrived and got the car plugged in.

One thing I noticed was when I unlocked the car the angel eyes never lit up.

I registered the battery to the car and cleared all the error codes stored in the car.

Started the car up and was greeted with increased battery discharge warning and reset the time and date.

Took the car for a drive and came back.

Left it for an hour and unlocked it and the angel eyes now lit on unlock.

Started the car and the clock remained correct and no increased battery discharge warning.

However the ABS lights remained lit.

Re-scanned the codes and the car had two logged

5DF0 Hydraulic unit pump motor
5DF1 hydraulic unit pump motor connector faulty

So it looks as if the ABS pump is faulty. Looking online seems a very common issue and have found a company in the UK will refurbish the ABS pump with a lifetime warranty for £200 so hopefully that will bring the car back to good health. So removing the pump is tomorrows job.

Thanks again everybody
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #47
RedCardinal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisymarr View Post
Thanks I tried the car there this morning, the starter button goes dark within ten minutes of locking it. Would that seem ok?
hmm My start button now turns off in 12 seconds. I don't know what it did before the EDC failed. I don't know what normal is!

I also replaced the IBS, did nothing. For me a lot of codes got thrown due to the battery continually discharging.

You should know that the car will turn off certain functions as the battery level drops - perhaps angel eyes is one of those functions.

editing to add, it turns off in 10 seconds, really -- that's after I lock the car.

Last edited by RedCardinal; 11-24-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Appreciate 0