BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #1
accarter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, E46 M3

Does your E9X M3 smell like Fuel? It's probably this

Hello all! I figured I'd post here since I ran into this problem and didn't find any threads here.

I was driving one day and I started smelling unburnt fuel when I had my windows down. After parking I walked around the car and discovered it was only smelling from around the passenger's side rear tire.

Turns out my fuel transfer pump assembly had a crack on the top which was spewing gas onto the top of the passengers side of the gas tank, causing the gas smell on that side.

I ended up finding out that this is a common 3 series issue, the repair process is identical, but the parts are different for the m3.

Save some money and DIY!

Here's a great video on how to fix it:

If you'd rather read, here's an article:

https://bmwrepairguide.com/bmw-e90-f...s-fuel-filter/

Note:
The instructions say to replace both the fuel transfer pump assembly and the fuel pump assembly (opposite side of the tank) at the same time. I initially ignored this. And then like clockwork my fuel pump assembly started leaking fuel 3 weeks after I replaced my fuel filter assembly.

I highly recommend getting a tank ring removal tool. It will speed up the repair by at least an hour. Trying to remove the rings without a tool is doable but an incredible pain in the a**

This can be a quite a scary and messy repair if your tank is full of gas. The m3 makes it impossible to syphon from the gas cap. So if you can somehow plan for this repair and not do it with a full tank then try that.

Have fun.

Parts:
Tank ring removal tool:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FDL3BS...p_mob_ap_share

Fuel Transfer Pump Assembly
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/404...r-16112283495/

Fuel Pump Assembly
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/854...y-16112283497/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
E92_Emma3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 6MT

Nice! I had this replaced soon after I bought my car (couple years ago), but helpful in case I ever run into this issue again.

After my Indy shop replaced it the smell went away, but I've noticed my fuel gauge isn't super accurate (after filling full tank it'll drop to 3/4 tank within 20 miles and stay at 1/2 tank for 100 plus miles)..no idea if it's related or not
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
accarter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_Emma3 View Post
Nice! I had this replaced soon after I bought my car (couple years ago), but helpful in case I ever run into this issue again.

After my Indy shop replaced it the smell went away, but I've noticed my fuel gauge isn't super accurate (after filling full tank it'll drop to 3/4 tank within 20 miles and stay at 1/2 tank for 100 plus miles)..no idea if it's related or not
Weird! I'm no expert but I'd imagine it's one of the floating bobbers on either side of the tank acting up. Maybe it gets caught on some tubing that's in the wrong place.

You could go through that process to take things apart and take a look. It's a pain though tbh but it's doable if it's bugging you enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Id absolutely say its the level sensor float being in the wrong orientation or getting caught up in some of the tubing.
Appreciate 2