BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Figurato
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Alpine White

IPE Exhaust with ESS Supercharger?

Hey all,

Planning on an ess 620 kit (or any other kit that comes on the forums 600+) and wanted to know how it would interact with the IPE exhaust.

I have the f1 IPE with High Flow Cats, and I understand that with the valves closed it could create different backpressure than with valves open.

Would this result in problems with the supercharger? Maybe I would have to keep them open almost all the time (currently what I do anyways)?

Could this mess up things with tuning the supercharger, or could it just be tuned for the environment that the valves are open, thus resulting in less horsepower with them closed?

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

--Austin
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Curious about this too, I already took the plunge and bought an IPE and have Gintani stage 2 supercharger but haven't installed the exhaust yet. Previous owner said he sold it due to the backpressure but he didn't take out the primary cats. If anyone has further input I'd also like to know.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Just make sure when your really going for it the valves are open.
Valves closed, only cruise around part throttle and stay below 3500rpm
      08-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

don't use the IPE x pipe. it's extremely restrictive for that power
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Yeah you shouldn't use the IPE F1 x-pipe it creates too much restriction and causes you to lose a ton of horsepower. The rear section is fine but the X-pipe is a big no no when supercharged.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Skip to 3:35.

Here is an ESS 625 kit only making 466 horsepower with an IPE F1 exhaust for reference.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post

Skip to 3:35.

Here is an ESS 625 kit only making 466 horsepower with an IPE F1 exhaust for reference.
Interesting, this is really the first I’ve read about this. I have a Dinan catless with resonators midpipe on the car now. Any idea how that would pair with the IPE rear on a supercharged car?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Interesting, this is really the first I’ve read about this. I have a Dinan catless with resonators midpipe on the car now. Any idea how that would pair with the IPE rear on a supercharged car?
The rear part is fine. The x pipe has a big hole in the middle that reduces the piping diameter
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
The rear part is fine. The x pipe has a big hole in the middle that reduces the piping diameter
Are you talking about the IPE xpipe or the Dinan midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Are you talking about the IPE xpipe or the Dinan midpipe?
IPE
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
IPE
Thanks. Maybe I’ll just use the IPE rear with the Dinan xpipe and sell the IPE xpipe separately. Glad OP posted this before I did the install. Surprised there hasn’t been more talk about this before.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Figurato
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Alpine White

Awesome feedback guys.

What Xpipe/midpipe would you suggest to put between the ipe High Flow Cats and the rear valved section?

Dinan or other ideas?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

They're all about the same. The differences will be resonators and price. Any of the legit companies out there is a good choice. Check out for sale or the vendor specials
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I wouldnt say they are all the same. Some put a high flow cat in the prinary position such as ess which i would avoid. Going full catless, sone put the X closer to the manifolds which for an NA car likely gains a fe was more hp vs a FI car maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #15
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Discussions about this were done a long time ago lol. Like years back! The conclusion was going catless with any x-pipe gave healthy gains with the exception of the IPE F1 pipe, it's just made to make noise honestly, sounds insane but you loose way too much power and basically defeats the purpose of putting a supercharger unless you just want to have the loudest car at car shows. The x-pipes that made the most power are the MRF unicorn pipe so to say and the Gintani x-pipe due to the relocation of the X merge further up stream. The other option is the American racing but that one requires their header setup where the others don't.
Appreciate 0