BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

S65 throttle butterfly and Vanos???

This in regards to a M3 E92 coupe...

I see the cool pictures of our S65 with the 8 individual throttle butterfly valves.

However, since BMW has choosen to have almost nothing specific to the M3 nor technical (service manual etc.) ...I am now confused.

I have read about Electronic throttle butterfly control:
"Electronic throttle butterfly control replaces the mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the throttle with an electronic signal. Also known as "drive by wire", this system sends digital information about the position of the accelerator to the central engine management unit."

then I came across this...........

Valvetronic

"This highly advanced technology replaces the conventional throttle butterfly with a electrical mechanism that controls the amount of lift of the individual intake valves on each cylinder. Your engine is able to breathe freely, delivering better performance while using less fuel."

"The performance of the engine is more efficient and immediate, thanks to the elimination of the pumping losses and air-flow disturbance caused by a conventional throttle butterfly. Instead, air can flow through the intake manifold freely, and Valvetronic precisely regulates the quantity of air entering the cylinders. "

" The throttle butterfly is no longer needed as a means of controlling the air supply - though for safety reasons it is still fitted as an emergency back-up."

WTF?? LOL

Now I don't get it...? Anyone ...?
Are the throttle butterflys electronic? Or are they not used and only there as a backup since we all have double vanos...???
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd rather have mechanical linkage, over any of the electric throttles. Most of the new BMW engines use valvetronic, however. I wonder how the carbon buildup will affect this mechanism down the road.
      10-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I wonder how the carbon buildup will affect this mechanism down the road.

Probably won't, as these motors are not direct-injected.
      10-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Vanos is variable cam timing and valvetronic is variable valve lift. The s65 doesn't have vavletronic only vanos. The throttle butterflys are electric and are used just like a normal throttle would.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Vanos is variable cam timing and valvetronic is variable valve lift. The s65 doesn't have vavletronic only vanos. The throttle butterflys are electric and are used just like a normal throttle would.
Okay, thank you!!

I guess ill stop reading the BMW web site (since it has nothing M3 specific) ...makes it a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Probably won't, as these motors are not direct-injected.
I'm not speaking of the S65, the newer M3/M4 uses valvetronic, DI, like the N55, N20 and the rest of the turbo lineup.
      10-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'm not speaking of the S65, the newer M3/M4 uses valvetronic, DI, like the N55, N20 and the rest of the turbo lineup.

Audi seems to have drastically reduced the buildup on their newer motors (3.0TFSI, 2.0TFSI). They did this with a new and more complex vapor reclamation system. I saw photos of the valves on those cars at 60k and they looked pretty good.

I would assume BMW has improved the technology in the newer motors as well.
      10-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Ronnydashore
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silverstone M3 DCT

All cars on the road are "drive by wire" aka electric signal from the pedal to the throttle opening so that is nothing unique. The 8 individual butterlies operate the same as a single in terms of the signal from the pedal. The difference and improvement is that air flows all the way to just above the cylinder to reach the throttle body so that when the throttle is opened, the pumping losses are less to get that air into the cylinder and it does it faster so better response. Each side of 4 open at the same time. Basically gives better throttle response and a bit more power.

Valvetronic is even better as the air gets all the way to the valve itself which modulates how much air gets in. That eliminates pumping losses typical lost in the intake plenum/throttle plate to the cylinder
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnydashore
All cars on the road are "drive by wire" aka electric signal from the pedal to the throttle opening so that is nothing unique. The 8 individual butterlies operate the same as a single in terms of the signal from the pedal. The difference and improvement is that air flows all the way to just above the cylinder to reach the throttle body so that when the throttle is opened, the pumping losses are less to get that air into the cylinder and it does it faster so better response. Each side of 4 open at the same time. Basically gives better throttle response and a bit more power.

Valvetronic is even better as the air gets all the way to the valve itself which modulates how much air gets in. That eliminates pumping losses typical lost in the intake plenum/throttle plate to the cylinder
this post hurt my brain
Appreciate 0