BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Help Improving Bass

Long story short is I've been trying to find a setup that can get bass from the trunk of our car to the cabin without the need to drop the seats down or without using the ski port.

Ive only experimented with two different enclosures. Both using 2 12" subs (Alpine SWR-12D4) being ran by Alpine MRX-M1100.

The first enclosure was a ported dual box tuned to 32hz. it did hit rather hard but wasn't perfect unless i dropped my back seats. In order to save some trunk space i switched to a dual sealed enclosure that fit right with the mold of the trunk instead. I did enjoy having the trunk space but the sound difference was very noticeable.

So now I'm willing to sacrifice trunk space if necessary to achieve a better sound. I'm looking into getting 1 JL Audio 12W7 sub and will be matched with JL Audio RD1000/1 Amp. I just don't want to waste my money if it won't be a big improvement.

If its important - 2011 e92 M3 with Hifi Audio
      12-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

The w7 is a beast of a woofer, it'll defintely outperform your old 2 alpine woofer combo.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est_MMXI View Post
Long story short is I've been trying to find a setup that can get bass from the trunk of our car to the cabin without the need to drop the seats down or without using the ski port.

Ive only experimented with two different enclosures. Both using 2 12" subs (Alpine SWR-12D4) being ran by Alpine MRX-M1100.

The first enclosure was a ported dual box tuned to 32hz. it did hit rather hard but wasn't perfect unless i dropped my back seats. In order to save some trunk space i switched to a dual sealed enclosure that fit right with the mold of the trunk instead. I did enjoy having the trunk space but the sound difference was very noticeable.

So now I'm willing to sacrifice trunk space if necessary to achieve a better sound. I'm looking into getting 1 JL Audio 12W7 sub and will be matched with JL Audio RD1000/1 Amp. I just don't want to waste my money if it won't be a big improvement.

If its important - 2011 e92 M3 with Hifi Audio
BTW another good setup would be 2 W6's instead of the W7. They require less air space so you could run a smaller box with still amazing output and a little more sound quality. I had this setup in in my infiniti I did use the ski pass because there really is no way around it in a car with a trunk (no an issue with SUV or a Hatch) but the key is making it as if the subs are in the cabin with you otherwise all the bass stays in the trunk. With this setup I literally used to shake the windows on places I would pass by. It was pretty epic lol. I had to get rid of the car because every night I ended up with a huge headache from the bass. That's me though, I always push it to the limit whether it be with sound or rev's it's just too much fun not to
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0