BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #67
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

More reviews just out. In the last two there is a video with the exhaust.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...hotos_and_info

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...e-black-series

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

Interesting...looks like the US cars may keep the glass roof. According to road and track "Additionally since all the U.S. sold C-Class Coupes come with the panoramic glass roof (and have been crash-tested that way), the steel roof—which takes 13 to 18 lb. away from the highest point of the car—will be exclusive to non-U.S. bound cars. Hey, at least we can appreciate the stars at night."

Last edited by erio; 07-23-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #68
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Looks like a German CTS-V
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #69
rsimm750
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 SG 6MT

But what if the next M3 looks like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It will be a great car for sure, but for the money it will command (100k or more, IMHO), I would have liked to see them go the full way and just drop the M159 in straight from the SLS.

It really does look spectacular in red though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #71
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

The Black Series cars have been very successful for MB.

Since ///M makes BMW good money and they are using it on more and more cars, I would like to see a more hardcore "Black Series"-ish variant of a few M cars. BMW needs an additional line to M like AMG has.
      07-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #72
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is really an M3-KILLER. What I don't like about it is the C-Class Coupé. Not really feeling the rear quarter and really hat it does not have frameless windows, what is a must on every coupé, even the 3 door hatch 1 Series and Mini have frameless windows.

By the way, I like how everybody thinks this is the ultimate sports coupé. For now it is, but the M3 CSL (E92) is coming to distroy everything, before the new era of the first M3 and BMW with a FI V6, that I would have called M4 if I was at the head.

Last edited by BMW269; 07-23-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #73
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

I can't argue that this one's a beast, and a hot-looking one to be sure. However, this looks like a track-weekend car. It doesn't look like it will be as good of a daily driver as the M3 or CTS-Vs. Example: the racing seats look non-adjustable and not passenger friendly.

The allure of our Ms is that they do everything well, track or street. But if someone gave me the keys to this Merc, I'm not turning up my nose.
      07-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #74
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimm750 View Post
But what if the next M3 looks like this?

It will still only have a piddly-shit turbo 6- This thing will eat it alive...
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #75
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
Why's it red?
LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #76
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Good for MB....But those fender flares are hideous
      07-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #77
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post

Interesting...looks like the US cars may keep the glass roof. According to road and track "Additionally since all the U.S. sold C-Class Coupes come with the panoramic glass roof (and have been crash-tested that way), the steel roof—which takes 13 to 18 lb. away from the highest point of the car—will be exclusive to non-U.S. bound cars. Hey, at least we can appreciate the stars at night."

That exhaust note!!
      07-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #78
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

that thing sounds nasty. reminds me of my E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #79
driftster
Rep
Drives: m3,325,deville,f150,tsx etc

Ok bare with me for a moment will you all, i have some issues with this vehicle..

This car is going to run dollar wise, north of 100,000 correct? (Probably in the high 130's much like the CLK)... But WHAT about this car makes it worth that kind of coin?

Now think along with me, the mb black series first of all was their attempt at reinventing the AMG niche which had for a long time been a stale stale shadow of it's former amazing self. What a black series signifies is AMG's engineering prowess in taking one of the cars from their lineup, and breaking it down to the bolt and creating a completely altered beast. One that has new suspension geometry has been track tested has shed outstanding amounts of poundage and has kept true to the old Mercedes racing heritage...

NOTHING about this car fits in with those "standards and practices".

This car is in all seriousness, assembled as a parts bin car, it is the assembly line "yang" to the 1M's "yin".

I am all but certain the only TRULY newly designed part on this car, is the forged lightweight AMG wheels that they seem to be so proud of in their press release.

The CLK63 was expensive because it was unique, it was designed to do a job and it did it. It's suspension was so unique in fact, that it's front suspension/end was used to create the c63 AMG...

However this cars soul is nothing but a collaborative effort of 3 cars from the Mercedes lineup. The CLK BS, the E class AMG, and still debatable is the influence the SLS had on the car (unless there is someone who is actively disassembling these engines to identify and compare pistons rods and wrists pins to that of SLS ones) this will be another MB corner cut that goes unaccounted for.

Let me elaborate..

The Front end is the CLK63, cut and dry..from the cash shocks to the mount points to the bracing.. Geometry remains CLK63 friendly with the addition of a different offset wheel and amount of rubber...
The rest of the car is for simplicities sake...the e63... It's increased track is a result of the e63 re3 ar axle, but not only axle, it's the e63 differential e63 diff cooler, e63 prop shaft...e63 transmission e63 oil cooler, the new larger brakes are straight from the e63 aswell, heck even the e63's exhaust and tail pipes have been CTRL+V'd onto the car. ...The ONLY debatable are as i said, the internals. ..and whether or not they are TRULY the SLS AMG's internals..

It's really hard to believe they went through the trouble of including the SLS AMG's rods and pistons, just so they could keep the bore/stroke/compression ratio and all that jazz the same....yet only give the car a 30-40 horses? Meanwhile down the road and back in time quite a few years there were dozens of c63's making more than 507-517HP on stock internals wit the inclusion of a reflash air filters and exhaust, coming with multi-year warranties the whole 9... NUMERICALLY this cars power does not add up as to suggest the inclusion of these "high strength internals"...along with the idea that the car's ECU has been remapped aswell..

After all the e63AMG..did make.. "1"bhp more than this black series, although they share almost everything

Now this isn't just a list of things i have a problem with, this all ties to the concept that this car had very very little overhead...And by little overhead i mean, they took something they had finished and been done with 3 years ago off the shelves put it in a new package and marked the price up nearly 100,000 dollars...

This black series is 80,000 dollars more expensive than the standard c63 and is about 50,000 dollars more expensive than the e63 it took all of it's parts from...

For the cost of this car you can quite literally buy BOTH of those AMG's the C63 and E63 and probably have cash to spare.

So i ask you again, what does this car do that makes it worth anything so lofty as it's current projected price tag. What makes this car worth that much and like i said what tangible evidence supports that, or isn't their any..

And please when i say tangible evidence i mean "Because it's awesome, listen to the exhaust, it comes in red..."

because quite frankly, I feel benz stole the coupe's greenhouse from the damn Honda Accord as well..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #80
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftster View Post
Ok bare with me for a moment will you all, i have some issues with this vehicle..

This car is going to run dollar wise, north of 100,000 correct? (Probably in the high 130's much like the CLK)... But WHAT about this car makes it worth that kind of coin?

Now think along with me, the mb black series first of all was their attempt at reinventing the AMG niche which had for a long time been a stale stale shadow of it's former amazing self. What a black series signifies is AMG's engineering prowess in taking one of the cars from their lineup, and breaking it down to the bolt and creating a completely altered beast. One that has new suspension geometry has been track tested has shed outstanding amounts of poundage and has kept true to the old Mercedes racing heritage...

This car is in all seriousness, assembled as a parts bin car, it is the assembly line "yang" to the 1M's "yin".

I am all but certain the only TRULY newly designed part on this car, is the forged lightweight AMG wheels that they seem to be so proud of in their press release.

The CLK63 was expensive because it was unique, it was designed to do a job and it did it. It's suspension was so unique in fact, that it's front suspension/end was used to create the c63 AMG...

However this cars soul is nothing but a collaborative effort of 3 cars from the Mercedes lineup. The CLK BS, the E class AMG, and still debatable is the influence the SLS had on the car (unless there is someone who is actively disassembling these engines to identify and compare pistons rods and wrists pins to that of SLS ones) this will be another MB corner cut that goes unaccounted for.

Let me elaborate..

The Front end is the CLK63, cut and dry..from the cash shocks to the mount points to the bracing.. Geometry remains CLK63 friendly with the addition of a different offset wheel and amount of rubber...
The rest of the car is for simplicities sake...the e63... It's increased track is a result of the e63 re3 ar axle, but not only axle, it's the e63 differential e63 diff cooler, e63 prop shaft...e63 transmission e63 oil cooler, the new larger brakes are straight from the e63 aswell, heck even the e63's exhaust and tail pipes have been CTRL+V'd onto the car. ...The ONLY debatable are as i said, the internals. ..and whether or not they are TRULY the SLS AMG's internals..

It's really hard to believe they went through the trouble of including the SLS AMG's rods and pistons, just so they could keep the bore/stroke/compression ratio and all that jazz the same....yet only give the car a 30-40 horses? Meanwhile down the road and back in time quite a few years there were dozens of c63's making more than 507-517HP on stock internals wit the inclusion of a reflash air filters and exhaust, coming with multi-year warranties the whole 9... NUMERICALLY this cars power does not add up as to suggest the inclusion of these "high strength internals"...along with the idea that the car's ECU has been remapped aswell..

After all the e63AMG..did make.. "1"bhp more than this black series, although they share almost everything

Now this isn't just a list of things i have a problem with, this all ties to the concept that this car had very very little overhead...And by little overhead i mean, they took something they had finished and been done with 3 years ago off the shelves put it in a new package and marked the price up nearly 100,000 dollars...

This black series is 80,000 dollars more expensive than the standard c63 and is about 50,000 dollars more expensive than the e63 it took all of it's parts from...

For the cost of this car you can quite literally buy BOTH of those AMG's the C63 and E63 and probably have cash to spare.

So i ask you again, what does this car do that makes it worth anything so lofty as it's current projected price tag. What makes this car worth that much and like i said what tangible evidence supports that, or isn't their any..

And please when i say tangible evidence i mean "Because it's awesome, listen to the exhaust, it comes in red..."

because quite frankly, I feel benz stole the coupe's greenhouse from the damn Honda Accord as well..
You nailed it. It's the hot motor, they got the exhaust right, and tarted it up. Looks like a very profitable product. Congrats, MB! This will help your bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #81
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

Quote:

Let me elaborate..

This car will base around $95k. The suspension is different from the E63 as well as the CLK63 Black Series. The wheels are from the SLS AMG. I don't see a problem using brakes designed for a heavier performance sedan. For example, the M3 brakes, which were noted to be under-powered in most reviews, garned praise when used in the lighter 1M.

Last edited by CAPSGOD; 07-24-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #82
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

This car looks incredible and now I'm starting to think of ways I can get into one without getting raped too badly on my M6's depreciation. I'll wait for the reviews, though.
      07-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #83
driftster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
This car will base around $95k. The suspension is different from the E63 as well as the CLK63 Black Series. The wheels are from the SLS AMG. I don't see a problem using brakes designed for a heavier performance sedan. For example, the M3 brakes, which were noted to be under-powered in most reviews, garned praise when used in the lighter 1M.
same axle same diff same diff cooler same brakes same wheelbase same gearbox and same engine...

the suspension differes from the CLK63? How? I mean i love the enthusiasm in the response but really you've shown nothing except that you can look at "factual similarities" and throw benefit of the doubt everywhere that benz would create new products of the same dimension size purpose to do the same job they did.......

and what part of it's European price suggests it'll be the same coin in usd?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #84
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Here it is in white, and with the aero-package!

Last edited by HBspeed; 07-24-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #85
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

pic isn't working, very interested in seeing that
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #86
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

yikes spoiler and canards look a bit off
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #87
driftster
Rep

just an ugly tuner package...no AMGBS,
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #88
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

Quote:

Let me elaborate..

Quote:
same axle same diff same diff cooler same brakes same wheelbase same gearbox and same engine...

the suspension differes from the CLK63? How? I mean i love the enthusiasm in the response but really you've shown nothing except that you can look at "factual similarities" and throw benefit of the doubt everywhere that benz would create new products of the same dimension size purpose to do the same job they did.......

and what part of it's European price suggests it'll be the same coin in usd?
Quote:
just an ugly tuner package...no AMGBS,

Why are you so furious?
Appreciate 0