BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII (sold)

Diving into detailing...products ordered!

So I've been researching all the various products recommended here and finally placed orders for all my products. I feel like I found some great deals.

Griot's Garage 6" Orbital
Chemical Guys Hex Logic 6 pad kit with pad cleaner
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine grade pad
Nanoskin Glide
Meguiar's M105 32oz
Meguiar's M205 32oz
Mezerna PowerLock Polymer Sealant

I got all this shipped for $300.

I'm a little nervous about doing this for the first time, but I think I have some nice products.

I had not heard of most of these products prior to my research on the forum. Such a valuable tool with so many knowledgeable people...it's awesome!

Anything I missed?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

6" pads are too big to accomplish anything beyond a slight shine. 4" is better for actually removing imperfections. You'll want to do an alcohol wipe after using 105 and 205. I love the combo but it does leave sort of a residue.

Dont forget a good clay and clay lube before you start polishing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
6" pads are too big to accomplish anything beyond a slight shine. 4" is better for actually removing imperfections. You'll want to do an alcohol wipe after using 105 and 205. I love the combo but it does leave sort of a residue.

Dont forget a good clay and clay lube before you start polishing.
I was going to use the Nanoskin pad and lubricant instead of clay bar. It seemed like most people were doing this now. My paint is in pretty good shape. I don't see any swirls really. I just want to do it since I don't know if it's ever been done.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Don't try to fix it if it ain't broken. You might introduce imperfections when ya don't mean to.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclinard1 View Post
I was going to use the Nanoskin pad and lubricant instead of clay bar. It seemed like most people were doing this now. My paint is in pretty good shape. I don't see any swirls really. I just want to do it since I don't know if it's ever been done.
Post a closeup pic of a panel on your car with the flash on or a halogen beam directly on it. That'll show any swirls.

I'm a few years behind on detailing but I guess there's a new method instead of using a claybar. I'll look into that when I decide to spend time on my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
google "junkman2000" and watch his videos series on YouTube about polishing for novices. It is a very good overview for people who are new to paint correction.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

You will be there forever with a 4", your 6" is perfect. Get a 3" for small spots
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k4 View Post
You will be there forever with a 4", your 6" is perfect. Get a 3" for small spots
I was about to say the same thing. I would want ot off my self if I had to do a whole car with a 4in pad lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Detailing products have improved greatly over the past 10+ years. I started out with the Griot's products in the early 2000's. I had no idea what I was doing, but watched the video's and gleaned advice from the many forums on detailing. For me it was a kind of therapy, at the time I had to be in the operating room ready to go at 7.00am and usually got home around 11.00pm at night. Added to which I had 4 young children, so getting into my garage on a Sunday afternoon when everyone was taking a nap was bliss for me. I had a pastel yellow Porsche at the time, the NanoSkin was not available then, so it was the clay bar to start with. As with all things car related, patience is/was a virtue, one panel at at time, carefully done, and my car already looked incredible post clay. I started with the most aggressive Griots' Machine Polish and worked my way up to the least aggressive Machine Polish using the Griot's orbiter. At this point each panel looked glossy and smooth, I then followed up with the wax application - IMHO, the car looked stunning and the mancave therapy session was complete! I have since upgraded to a Flex Orbiter and Menzerna products. I also use the NanoSkin now - heads up, you need to use this item with a quick detail spray for adequate lubrication, the Griots product works well during this step, and this process is a lot quicker than clay, but not as therapeutic! In upgrading to a more aggressive random orbiter and way more aggressive Machine Polish (Menzerna 105 Super Intensive), I have come to realize that the Griots products are/were very forgiving, even the newer Machine Polishes are forgiving to the novice detailer, combined with a quality foam pads, it's really difficult to screw up your paint. FYI, if you get some sludge build up (polish entering crevices around lights etc; a quick detail spray makes short work of such, you certainly don't want the sludge to dry). Upgrading to the Flex for me was a good step, it's much quicker than using the Griot's orbiter, however, learning with the Griots orbiter was a good step into detailing for me. All of the cool folks are using the Rupes orbiter now, but I will stick to my Flex for the time being. Moving on, you may also want to remove your wheels, and clean the interior barrel and outer surface with this product: http://store.sonaxusa.com/sonaxwheel...ulleffect.aspx I have used the Menzerna 105 Super Intensive on the interior wheel surface and the exterior with incredible results. While the wheels are off of the car, you can also clean your brake calipers and give them some TLC, to compete the "look" of a clean car. I have since invested in a commercial grade steam cleaner to clean the wheel wells, I know, I know the OCDness will catch up to you too!

In closing, it's really hard to f'up with the new generation of products and orbiters, as you grow into the process you'll find yourself trying new products and you'll become more aggressive (in a good way) with the detailing process, specifically polishing and waxing. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Ha! I'm one of the cool kids! Who knew?!

I have a new Rupes 15 in my garage waiting to be fired up with some Sonax 3/6 polish (awesome stuff). Just need to find an afternoon to do all the pre-steps prior to whipping the Rupes out!

That being said, I borrowed a friend's Flex over the holidays and it was excellent, a big step up from my Griot's (Porter Cable). Even with the 5" pads I used on it, the Griot's just was no match for the Flex. I've purchased a backing plate and 3" pads to use on the Griot's now. Those pesky bumper scratches haven't got a chance now.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Ha! I'm one of the cool kids! Who knew?!

I have a new Rupes 15 in my garage waiting to be fired up with some Sonax 3/6 polish (awesome stuff). Just need to find an afternoon to do all the pre-steps prior to whipping the Rupes out!

That being said, I borrowed a friend's Flex over the holidays and it was excellent, a big step up from my Griot's (Porter Cable). Even with the 5" pads I used on it, the Griot's just was no match for the Flex. I've purchased a backing plate and 3" pads to use on the Griot's now. Those pesky bumper scratches haven't got a chance now.
Yes you are, I've heard rave reviews on the Rupes, and yes, the prep work is critical for great results.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep

As all have said prep and patients. I just did a paint correction on my M, 30+ hours over the course of 5 weeks (weekends mostly). Porter Cable, Meguiars wool cutting pad, Meguiars MF Cutting Pads, assortment of foam 6" pads (ranging in cutting/polishing ability), a number of Menzerna products (though most will only need FG400 and SF4000), and Auto Finesse Illusion Carnuba. Menzerna makes fantastic products, FG400 on it's own is amazing
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
As all have said prep and patients. I just did a paint correction on my M, 30+ hours over the course of 5 weeks (weekends mostly). Porter Cable, Meguiars wool cutting pad, Meguiars MF Cutting Pads, assortment of foam 6" pads (ranging in cutting/polishing ability), a number of Menzerna products (though most will only need FG400 and SF4000), and Auto Finesse Illusion Carnuba. Menzerna makes fantastic products, FG400 on it's own is amazing
What about the Viper?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #14
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
What about the Viper?
Xpel wrap
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Paint correction over 5 weeks?? That is a lot of patience! Are you not doing a coating or sealant after all that correcting? I love carnauba too but I feel like just that isn't enough on a perfect condition car. Just my opinion! I've never used microfiber pads. Are they more aggressive than orange pads?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
Paint correction over 5 weeks?? That is a lot of patience! Are you not doing a coating or sealant after all that correcting? I love carnauba too but I feel like just that isn't enough on a perfect condition car. Just my opinion! I've never used microfiber pads. Are they more aggressive than orange pads?
I'm having some of the panels wrapped in XPEL. MF pad is definitely more aggressive than orange pad
Appreciate 1