BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

01-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #45
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Parents of teen drivers. There's a number of teen driver monitoring functions on the new Malibu. Very good ideas, IMO.
And it knows the person driving it is a teen how
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #46
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Which is my point. Why doesn't any makers want to step up? Dodge has with the SRT charger. Ford, nada. Chevy has the Chevy SS. It's almost non existent in its promotion. Putting a hot engine in a Taurus for example would push the whole Taurus lineup. They put it in every commercial, then sell the six cylinders like crazy as they now have the performance image. Basic marketing. GM keeps putting the engines in one offs. HHR, Pontiac G8. These are dead cars related to no other cars and therefore do nothing to help push the mainstream cars. Put the engine in an impala or Malibu for god sakes. Ford at least got it with the Focus RS. Now all the focus cars are getting a look from people who didn't look before.
I'm in the car business I can tell you there is just no demand for cars like that. The money Ford and GM would spend on such cars wouldn't be paid back in sales, and would only cut into what they spend on models like the Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Ford has no such platform for a Coyote Taurus. It's riding on an old Volvo platform as is. The Mustang is their only RWD-based chassis, and it will not feasibly support a competitive sedan. The SHO is fine as a more performance-geared sedan.

Chevy does woefully undermarket the SS, but the car was an afterthought, anyway. It's nothing more than a Holden soldiering on for a few years in disguise until the assembly lines close.

Sedans are losing more and more market share to CUV's. And the people that are still buying them value efficiency, value, and safety above all else. Building Voodoo-powered Taurus's may sound awesome, but there's just no reason for Ford to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #47
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
And it knows the person driving it is a teen how
It's programmed into the key.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #48
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
I still find it hard to believe Chevy didn't pay those people something to act stupid or just found volunteers.

I just cant believe that the general public would not know what a basic BMW or Mercedes look like regardless of the badge. Unless they never have to drive anywhere. They might not know its a chevy but to think its a BMW or Benz? come on now. Are people really that F***ing stupid now a days??

I Ain't buyin it lol I guess its decent marketing. This is also false advertisement in a way because they say the car starts at 22k or so. Which would be the most basic one available. You're not getting the loaded one shown with the vinyl (Chevy leather) and gadgets for less then 30-35k
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #49
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
It's programmed into the key.
And it knows the teen has the key
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #50
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
And it knows the teen has the key
You only give the programmed key to the teen. Similar to the red and black key on the Hellcats. The cars know all!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #51
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
I just cant believe that the general public would not know what a basic BMW or Mercedes look like regardless of the badge. Unless they never have to drive anywhere. They might not know its a chevy but to think its a BMW or Benz? come on now. Are people really that F***ing stupid now a days??
Less stupid, and more-so oblivious and just flat out don't care. I try and teach the wife regarding different models and why one is special or different. She just isn't interested in knowing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #52
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
Less stupid, and more-so oblivious and just flat out don't care. I try and teach the wife regarding different models and why one is special or different. She just isn't interested in knowing.
X2. My wife has virtually no interest in knowing cars (she does like features and types of cars) and asked why I can't quickly identify purses or shoes of certain manufactures. I am completely ignorant when it comes to these items and it just depends on what things you are interested in.
      01-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #53
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hahaha. I love it. They cherry pick only the dumbest/most clueless responders
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #54
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Since we're on the subject, my parents recently rented a new Explorer when they came in for a visit. We had five adults and a baby. Everyone fit very comfortably, with the third row seating. It had all the gadgets in the world, including front and rear heated and cooled seats. Put my X5 to shame. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #55
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Since we're on the subject, my parents recently rented a new Explorer when they came in for a visit. We had five adults and a baby. Everyone fit very comfortably, with the third row seating. It had all the gadgets in the world, including front and rear heated and cooled seats. Put my X5 to shame. Ugh.

in fairness the platinum is over $50k.

but still
      02-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #56
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I still find it hard to believe Chevy didn't pay those people something to act stupid or just found volunteers.

I Ain't buyin it lol I guess its decent marketing. This is also false advertisement in a way because they say the car starts at 22k or so. Which would be the most basic one available. You're not getting the loaded one shown with the vinyl (Chevy leather) and gadgets for less then 30-35k
They're actors man.

Think about the other ad where he takes everyone's cell phones and tosses them in a wood chipper and they all just laugh it off. In reality, at least one of those people would've lost their shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #57
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
They're actors man.

Think about the other ad where he takes everyone's cell phones and tosses them in a wood chipper and they all just laugh it off. In reality, at least one of those people would've lost their shit.
Thats what I was trying to say. A bunch of people a few pages back were saying they were a focus group or something
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #58
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Ironically enough, the new Malibu 2.0T makes more power than the SHO, almost as much as the LT1 Impala, and would blows the doors off both in any kind of performance measure, handling included.

How does the 250 hp 2.0t make more power than the 365hp 3.5tt SHO? The SHO is a full second quicker in the 1/4 and is AWD.
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.

Last edited by davesz4mc; 02-04-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #59
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

I laugh at the commercial every time I see it. I told my brother one time, "all the technology for that price? Who buys a car for the technology?", personally, I choose a car for more reasonable facts lol. But I get it, these are people who are your average Civic and Fiesta owners who love saving gas and technology for their lazy driving habits.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #60
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
How does the 250 hp 2.0t make more power than the 365hp 3.5tt SHO? The SHO is a full second quicker in the 1/4 and is AWD.
I can't believe the TT Fusion will have 325hp.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #61
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Thats what I was trying to say. A bunch of people a few pages back were saying they were a focus group or something
Commercials have a legal review before launch. Every statement has to be true and verified. Look for the small print on this commercial. It does not say actor portrayals.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #62
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
I laugh at the commercial every time I see it. I told my brother one time, "all the technology for that price? Who buys a car for the technology?", personally, I choose a car for more reasonable facts lol. But I get it, these are people who are your average Civic and Fiesta owners who love saving gas and technology for their lazy driving habits.
There are jobs offered right now related to user interface design than interior and exterior design lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #63
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

I rented a 2016 Malibu last week. I will admit the structure was solid- no vibrations or thunks going over bumps. Other than that there is NO comparison to our 535ix or 335i sport.

I didn't like the key fob that still had a flip out key or the start stop feature. For a rental or basic car it was fine but not something I'd look to buy for myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #64
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
There are jobs offered right now related to user interface design than interior and exterior design lol.
No kidding, no wonder why GM cars tend to look like crap besides their superstar vehicle, the C7 lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Commercials have a legal review before launch. Every statement has to be true and verified. Look for the small print on this commercial. It does not say actor portrayals.
The message on the screen may simply be communicating the people in the commercial are not professional actors. However, the "real people" could be provided a script of what to say and do and still not be consider professional actors, similar to "reality television". There's no way to really know.
      02-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #66
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
I laugh at the commercial every time I see it. I told my brother one time, "all the technology for that price? Who buys a car for the technology?"
I do. I like an easy way to use the navigation, tight functionality with syncing and pairing my iPhone since that's how I play my music.

Syncing to my calendar to quickly pull up appointments, meetings, dinners, etc and the ability for the car to recognize addresses in your calendar and put it in your GPS if need be. Also being able to send an address from my phone or computer instantly to my car.

I also enjoy little gadgets like the head up display. None of that has anything to do with "lazy driving habits" and more so to do with day to day convenience.
Appreciate 0