BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #45
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The impact of sport tires is disproportionately higher for heavier cars..... On street tires I would guess the RS6 is in the 8:20's.
Why was the M6 (on sport tires) only 4 seconds faster than the M5, then? Not that I don't want to believe you, but what's the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Audi did miss to mark that is the M5, reason is they were aiming for something higher.
Beating T_Bone at his own game?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #46
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
The impact of sport tires is disproportionately higher for heavier cars..... On street tires I would guess the RS6 is in the 8:20's.
Now your taking the piss.:finger:addle ::fight ing0030:
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #47
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Why was the M6 (on sport tires) only 4 seconds faster than the M5, then? Not that I wouldn't believe you, but what's the reason?

Best regards, south

The M6 was not on sport tires..... The only 2 tires types are the Contis and the PS2, neither are street tires. Some Pirellis were available but these were not R compound tires.

Also, the M5 / M6 also had a speed governer. Even the silly RS4 was able to reach a higher top speed than the M6.
      01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #48
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Now your taking the piss.:finger:addle ::fight ing0030:
What are you calling out the tire comment or my guess at the 8:20s?
      01-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #49
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why was the M6 (on sport tires) only 4 seconds faster than the M5, then? Not that I wouldn't believe you, but what's the reason?

Best regards, south
South, you asked the question that I was just about to. Sports tyres don't make that much of a difference but they are used as an excuse for people who's cars don't have them and aren't performing as good as they expect. Good chassis design is much more important than tyres, knowledgeable people know this.

The CSL is as good as it is because it's got a great chassis, the M6 isn't much better than the M5 because it doesn't, plain and simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #50
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Why was the M6 (on sport tires) only 4 seconds faster than the M5, then? Not that I don't want to believe you, but what's the reason?

Best regards, south

South, I was wrong, Sportauto did use Pirellis but I am not sure if they were the R compounds...can you please translate?

Also here is a thread on the M6 performance - note the discussion on top speed.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62313

South - care to translate this whole article?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...57&postcount=7

01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #51
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
South, you asked the question that I was just about to. Sports tyres don't make that much of a difference but they are used as an excuse for people who's cars don't have them and aren't performing as good as they expect. Good chassis design is much more important than tyres, knowledgeable people know this.

The CSL is as good as it is because it's got a great chassis, the M6 isn't much better than the M5 because it doesn't, plain and simple.
You are smoking crack here my friend, go talk to any tracker about the importance of tires, the 8:09 time not withstanding.
      01-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #52
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are smoking crack here my friend, go talk to any tracker about the importance of tires, the 8:09 time not withstanding.
Not smoking crack, just the exhaust fumes of the RS6 while I am sitting along side you in the M6.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #53
southlight
Rep

Quote:
South, I was wrong, Sportauto did use Pirellis but I am not sure if they were the R compounds...can you please translate?

Also here is a thread on the M6 performance - note the discussion on top speed.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62313

South - care to translate this whole article?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...57&postcount=7

Can't see these threads since I'm not registered on m5board (guess that's new?).
You're probably meaning the Supertest, I'm quite sure the M6 had Pirelli Corsa race tires. Will check it tomorrow, is a translation of the verdict ok?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #54
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can't see these threads since I'm not registered on m5board (guess that's new?).
You're probably meaning the Supertest, I'm quite sure the M6 had Pirelli Corsa race tires. Will check it tomorrow, is a translation of the verdict ok?

Best regards, south
It was Corsa race tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #55
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Best regards, south
I will post the JPEGs here..... I would like to hear the reviewers comments on why the Corsas sucked.... Certainly goes against the experience that I have had with R compounds... Was the test done in the wet?

Thanks...

01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #56
southlight
Rep

Unfortunately the attachments from m5board don't work for me, either. But I'll look for a scan tomorrow and tell you what they said about the Pirellis.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #57
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately the attachments from m5board don't work for me, either. But I'll look for a scan tomorrow and tell you what they said about the Pirellis.

Best regards, south
You don't see the JPEGs on this thread?? Humm.. Specifically if you can see how the testers traded off tires vs. top speed, that would be interesting. Also can you please provide some conclusion to whether the M6 8:09 time was done in the rain?

I will post your translation over on the M5board because we want to know .

Cheers man.
      01-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #58
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also can you please provide some conclusion to whether the M6 8:09 time was done in the rain?
I can confirm that it was indeed done in the rain.

But the RS4 did it's identical time in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #59
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm that it was indeed done in the rain.
Thanks that partially explains the performance of the Corsas...R compounds all act funny & different when cold and wet.

What do you think of the 0-200 kph times?
      01-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #60
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks that partially explains the performance of the Corsas...R compounds all act funny & different when cold and wet.

What do you think of the 0-200 kph times?
Mate the rain thing was a joke.

As for the acceleration figures, what can I say the thing is one f--king fast car and I doubt the RS6 could equal that. But then again it doesn't have to as after all it is a 2 ton Estate car which happens to be bloody quick with all the all weather security that one expects from Audi wrapped up in the best interiors in the business.

If my S5 had it's poke then I doubt I would ever be changing to an M3, I wonder what the RS5 will be like, I wouldn't be surprised to see something the equal to the M6 in main a way but a lot more nimble.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #61
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mate the rain thing was a joke.

As for the acceleration figures, what can I say the thing is one f--king fast car and I doubt the RS6 could equal that. But then again it doesn't have to as after all it is a 2 ton Estate car which happens to be bloody quick with all the all weather security that one expects from Audi wrapped up in the best interiors in the business.

If my S5 had it's poke then I doubt I would ever be changing to an M3, I wonder what the RS5 will be like, I wouldn't be surprised to see something the equal to the M6 in main a way but a lot more nimble.
Nordschielfe is so big that weather is different at different parts of the track. I would like a German speaker to see what they said about the wet.
      01-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #62
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi

Quote:
Can you explain this?

or this?

0-60 RS4 is good....after that it gets walked because of the drivetrain losses
RS4 is quicker to 100klm/phour than the M3, burn offs from the lights the m gets walked. or are you going to say "hey can we go find an airfield" lol u tosser
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 04:44 AM   #63
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
RS4 is quicker to 100klm/phour than the M3, burn offs from the lights the m gets walked. or are you going to say "hey can we go find an airfield" lol u tosser
Don't be to hard on old T-Bone, he know not what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #64
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
Quote:
Don't be to hard on old T-Bone, he know not what he says.

There there... You don't even need an airfield...any 3rd gear roll will demostrate Quattro's pathetic failure as a modern drivetrain. Sad really.

Before we bash each other too much here, I would like to hear what South has to say about below.
      01-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #65
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Just read Autocar's first drive review of the RS6 is their impression of the car was glowing on everything apart from ride quality which maybe a problem in current stiffness for UK roads. Areas where the RS6 shone for them was engine, acceleration, handling, quality & engineering, smoothness and brakes. Areas which still need addressing are steering (not enough feel) and ride (too stiff for UK roads).

Regarding performance, in their opinion the car in terms of acceleration is in another league to the others, what they mean by this is anyone guess, maybe overall acceleration or in-gear acceleration but either way it IS a force to be reckoned with. Handling, they were very surprised by the handling, it's body control was exceptional for what is a heavy car and the car is exceptional nimble, changing direction extremely well and in their opinion a match for the M5, though still they feel the M5 is the more involving.

It is the first very favourable report so far, most have been so, so but as the was Chris Harris (the guy with the M3) I believe this report might be the closest to the truth.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #66
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Just read Autocar's first drive review of the RS6 is their impression of the car was glowing on everything apart from ride quality which maybe a problem in current stiffness for UK roads. Areas where the RS6 shone for them was engine, acceleration, handling, quality & engineering, smoothness and brakes. Areas which still need addressing are steering (not enough feel) and ride (too stiff for UK roads).

Regarding performance, in their opinion the car in terms of acceleration is in another league to the others, what they mean by this is anyone guess, maybe overall acceleration or in-gear acceleration but either way it IS a force to be reckoned with. Handling, they were very surprised by the handling, it's body control was exceptional for what is a heavy car and the car is exceptional nimble, changing direction extremely well and in their opinion a match for the M5, though still they feel the M5 is the more involving.

It is the first very favourable report so far, most have been so, so but as the was Chris Harris (the guy with the M3) I believe this report might be the closest to the truth.
That is the same review in the link I've provided in the 1st post under this thread. Did you miss it?
Appreciate 0