BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Greg P
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Elan SE, R8 Spyder

Individual High End Audio Reviews ?

Has anybody got first hand (rather than tech sheet) experience of this option in the M3. I've scoured everywhere for reviews but found nothing to speak of. With my car locked down and now coming 10th November, I'd like some reassurance that I've not wasted a few hundred quid needlessly over the other systems that were available.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

What was your opinion of the HK in the E46?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Has anybody got first hand (rather than tech sheet) experience of this option in the M3. I've scoured everywhere for reviews but found nothing to speak of. With my car locked down and now coming 10th November, I'd like some reassurance that I've not wasted a few hundred quid needlessly over the other systems that were available.
Greg,heard it in a Demo car at the w/end ....very very good,much better than the standard set up and beats the H/K of the e46 for clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E60 520d - soon an X1

I have the H/K in my 330, and I'm not impressed by it, I also bought the Individual HighEnd in my M3 and my first impression is that it is very good.
I will pick up the car tomorrow and should be able to tell more by wednesday.
      10-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilron View Post
I have the H/K in my 330, and I'm not impressed by it, I also bought the Individual HighEnd in my M3 and my first impression is that it is very good.

I have the HK in my 330i as well, and it's cool, but I liked the HK better in my E46 ///M3's. That could have alot to do w/ the subwoofer placement/coupe design/acoustics.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Gratulerer, før du sove i natt tror du

Is that one of the first in Norway?

Hope you post some pics.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Greg P
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Elan SE, R8 Spyder

Quote:
Interested to hear what the system sounds like when driving with the engine in the background at cruising speeds.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Sorry, I promised a reply by Wednesday, but I've been out driving.

The Individual HighEnd Audio package is a good deal. I really am glad that I went with this option.

Not that I have had the pleasure of testing all the OEM installed audio systems out there, but I can easily say that this is the best OEM system that I have heard. It definitly can not be compared to the H/K system in the E46 as it is much better than in my 330i.

The sound is very clear, even when driving on bad tarmac. In my previous car I would have to turn off or play very load to cancel out the tire noise when driving on the same roads.

During cruising speed the engine is hardly noticeable - unfortunately - In other words: No issues there, and speach on radio is clear even on low volumes.
I played some strange Jazz with some weird details in the background and could identify the same sounds in the car as at home, many systems fail to present these details clearly.

On some kinds of music the midrange leave me wanting more, but on other cd's I'd like less. Which leaves me to belive that this has more to do with the sound quality on the cd than the system, but can leave you wanting more (or less) if you prefer that kind of music. Still, I guess it is possible to dive into iDrive or something and fine tune base/mid/treble, but I have not tried that yet.
      10-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Sounds good ilron, Are you planing to post any pics, so looking forward to see a M3 with Norwegian plates.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Here are a few I took with my mobile. I never got around to bring out my camera - and now the rain is pouring down... I guess proper photos have to wait.
Attached Images

10-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Is your car Jerez? If so PLEASE expand on what color it REALLY looks like in different lighting conditions :-)
I also have a simple question (I think) is the "Individual High End Audio" the same as the HK Logic 7 Surround system that came with the 06 330i? I found the Logic 7 to be outstanding....great clarity and deep clear base would bounce you out of the car if you wanted it to
      10-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #12
M34ME
M34ME
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I am so excited about picking up my new M3 next month I am writing this on my Blackberry at a Good Charlotte concert in Sydney. I test drove a Jerez Black with 19" wheels and high end sound Wednesday - both of which I have ordered. 19" wheels look sick bro. Sound system superb - kicks HK's (premium system) butt in my current 330ci. Jerez black a little deep blue / purple in certain conditions and looks great but makes lines of car somewhat subdued compared to Silverstone - which makes it look like a mean MOFO. Go for the options but can the ski bag.

Last edited by M34ME; 10-12-2007 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Is your car Jerez? If so PLEASE expand on what color it REALLY looks like in different lighting conditions :-)
I also have a simple question (I think) is the "Individual High End Audio" the same as the HK Logic 7 Surround system that came with the 06 330i? I found the Logic 7 to be outstanding....great clarity and deep clear base would bounce you out of the car if you wanted it to
1. Jerez Black:
Sunlight: Sorry but It's been cloudy/raining since I got the car
Artificial light (garge/gas station): Very very dark blue.
Dusk/Dawn: The car appears almost black, but it gets an oily kind of look where the light hits the surface. The car looks stunning when this happens.
Rain: I don't like this colour in the rain, as with most dark cars it gets a hazy colour when dirty, I think that is when many describe this colour as purple since the metallic effect is subdued by the rain/dirt.

I think the "Hungarian" photoshoot is the best example of this colour so far. My conclusion is that if you have no problems with keeping your car clean and waxed Jerez is an excellent choice.
As M34ME mentioned; dark colours do hide the lines somewhat but at the same time it looks wider and meaner than the white and red M3 I saw at Nürburgring.

2. The Individual High End is quite simply better than the Logic 7 system.
      10-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
1. Jerez Black:
Sunlight: Sorry but It's been cloudy/raining since I got the car
Artificial light (garge/gas station): Very very dark blue.
Dusk/Dawn: The car appears almost black, but it gets an oily kind of look where the light hits the surface. The car looks stunning when this happens.
Rain: I don't like this colour in the rain, as with most dark cars it gets a hazy colour when dirty, I think that is when many describe this colour as purple since the metallic effect is subdued by the rain/dirt.

I think the "Hungarian" photoshoot is the best example of this colour so far. My conclusion is that if you have no problems with keeping your car clean and waxed Jerez is an excellent choice.
As M34ME mentioned; dark colours do hide the lines somewhat but at the same time it looks wider and meaner than the white and red M3 I saw at Nürburgring.

2. The Individual High End is quite simply better than the Logic 7 system.
Love the updated pics of your ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Love the updated pics of your ride.
Thanks, I love the car..
      10-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I have been debating this option but am finding the price excessive especially compared to the B&O system I upgraded to in my current S5, for the £500+ it cost it's the best OEM upgrade system I have hear to date and after listening to the normal BWM OEM up-grade (cheapest one) at £380 I was very disappointed with it's sound.

I general BMW are very competitive with their options but the sound system isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
Ray33
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34ME View Post
I am so excited about picking up my new M3 next month I am writing this on my Blackberry at a Good Charlotte concert in Sydney. I test drove a Jerez Black with 19" wheels and high end sound Wednesday - both of which I have ordered. 19" wheels look sick bro. Sound system superb - kicks HK's (premium system) butt in my current 330ci. Jerez black a little deep blue / purple in certain conditions and looks great but makes lines of car somewhat subdued compared to Silverstone - which makes it look like a mean MOFO. Go for the options but can the ski bag.
Must be a really shit concert, if you find replying on this site more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
The M Audio option is DEFINITELY worth it. I got it in my 2008 M5 and it makes the HK system in my old E46 M3 sound like crap. If anyone wants me to expand upon that, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Has anyone heard the difference between the cheaper Hi-Fi upgrade (£380) and the Logic 7 system at (£820). To date I have only heard to first one and wasn't that impressed compared to Audi's B&O system in my S5.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Just my $0.02. The HK system that came on my E46 M3 sucked! I got them all ripped out & changed them to Boston Acoustics with a seperate amp and a 10" JL W7 sub with a 500/1 amp. ='s Perfection
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

So was the installation a problem?
Did you used the car's radio?

The problem of installing aftermarket radios or equipment is that you can screw up thing and with the radio, you loose functionality.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

I have Logic 7 in my 335i (13 speakers) and I just heard the 16-speaker highest end system in an M5 today. It is quite a bit better than logic 7 (which is a very good syste in itself).

Main difference was noticably lower and more powerful base (more real sounding) with no distortion or vibration. Also, the high highs were crystal clear, and the imaging seemed better (although did not have that much time to obsess about this).

It will satisfy all but the most stringent audiophiles. For reference, I have a $3K aftermarket system in my Legacy Wagon and this system compares favorably without all the integration issues.