BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
911r
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

E90 M3 DCT Stripper (Slicktop, Clothseats, Single Hump) Build Journal

hello all,

recently picked up my E90 M3. Let me first start off by saying that this is my favorite "M" car to date -- and that is coming from someone who has driven nearly every model, and generation BMW / "M" car. I only see myself selling this car to fund the purchase of a 997.1 GT3 / 964.

Spec:
Alpine White
Slicktop
Cloth-Seats
No Navigation
No EDC
DCT
Rear sun-shades
Titan Shadow interior trim (my favorite!)

Current modifications (as of purchasing the car)
- KW Clubsports
- Cool Carbon front & rear brake pads
- 82mm MRG Titanium wheel studs
- EAS black grill
- EAS painted reflectors

The car's story:
I'm the third owner of this car. The first owner was presumably in the Navy, and ordered / took delivery of the car in Germany in late 2009. Once delivered, he drove the car in Germany for the first three years of ownership, until it was imported into the states in late 2012. He then continued to drive it for six more years, until trading it in for a newer car in 2018 at BMW of San Diego. The second owner purchased the car from BMW of San Diego in 2018, and put ~13,000 miles on the car in his two years of ownership, adding on tasteful modifications along the way.

PPI:
Several days before purchasing the car, I had the car inspected by Funfzehn. I received the following results:

The results were a little worse than expected, but not horrible. Oil seepage from both valve cover gaskets, and some seepage by the DCT pan -- in addition to collapsed engine mounts. From what I was told, this is to be expected in a car nearing 100,000 miles, but I would like to get these items taken care of sooner rather than later. I plan on having the rod bearings, engine mounts, and trans mounts replaced ASAP (at, or before 100,000 miles.)

The drive home:
Overall the car was really solid for the ~800 mile journey home. At 75-80+mph there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel, apart from that, everything went flawlessly. Before leaving, I taped up the front of the car to ensure that I wouldn't pick up too many rock chips.

The car preformed great, and oil temps stayed around 210-220 even in 109 degree heat.

After ~500 miles, the tape started to tear off...I'm just happy it even stayed on in the first place.

Home:

I plan on taking the car into the shop today in order to have the recall done. I also plan on having the tires balanced and re-mounted...curious to see their road force numbers.

Plans for the next few months:
- I first plan on raising the car in the rear, so that the rear height matches the front.
- Hotchkiss front & rear sway bars
- Fall-line adjustable front & rear sway bar end links
- alignment / corner balance at new ride hight
- rod bearings, engine mounts, and transmission mounts
- valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs

That's all I've got, for now...please bear with me while I figure out the best way to upload my images.

Last edited by 911r; Yesterday at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 3
WWM3349.50
Space Fox376.50

06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
jczeffer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Welcome, and enjoy the beautiful ride!
Appreciate 1
911r24.00

06-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
911r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeffer View Post
Welcome, and enjoy the beautiful ride!
Thanks! Loving it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
911r
Private
Rep

Got my car aligned, and corner balanced today. I also got my tires road force balanced -- which killed the vibration I was experiencing at 75+mph.

My previous alignment was pretty messed up, hoping for the best with the new setup.

Road force numbers look good, besides one which is at 23lbs. Surprised how well these tires have held up.

Not bad!

Last edited by 911r; Yesterday at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #5
911r
Private
Rep

I decided it was time to make an appointment to get my rod bearings done. Since my valve cover gaskets are leaking, I figured I might as well get it all done at once. I bit the bullet at put the deposit down for parts today. All said and done, I'm looking at $3,000 to get my rod bearings, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs done.

I decided to go to SSR for this job because of their reputation, warrantee (1 yr. / 10,000 miles), and most importantly their availability. Most shops I contacted either took weeks to get back to me, never responded in the first place to my original inquiry, or were booked for the foreseeable future. Although I would have preferred to go with MRF, or Kevin (Kaiv) it just wasn't in the cards. I'm hoping SSR does a good enough job!

As for bearings, I decided on Lang Racing spec ACL bearings & ARP rod bolts. From what I've seen, Lang Racing spec ACL bearings are very similar to BC bearings, just without the insane backorder.

Appreciate 1
NQRDDS39.50