BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Interlagos Blue E90 Build

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share my build thread of my 2011 Interlagos Blue E90 ZCP. Getting this far into modifications and long term ownership was never in the original plans for this car. I just wanted a fun daily driver that was livable with two little kids until I figured out my next car.

I was coming from an F80 White/Sakhir Orange that was decently modified (tune/305 AD08/MPE Exhaust) but never lived up to expectations and the cost to fun/enjoyment ratio was way off for a $60K car at the time when I bought it in 2016.

I didnít have any pre-requisites in my search for an E90 except no black and mainly stock. My 3rd day searching the for sale forums here I stumbled on a stock 2011 IB ZCP w/ 72K miles being sold by a financial executive down in VA. Fast forward 4 days of back and forth negotiations, and I was on my way in a rental car to pick it up. The car already had valve cover gaskets, throttle actuators and thermostat replaced as well as a stack of receipts so it was well kept.

F80 -





MPE Exhaust on the F80. It was really light easy to pickup with one hand.



Meaty (still sounded like shit)




First time bringing it home -






I drove it for 10 months without modifying anything. The only thing I did was drop all fluids and put on new rubber Ps4s when I first got it. After ~1yr of ownership I picked up an 08 MDX as a family hauler and daily driver which opened the door for me to make this car mine while not considering family trips etc so the fun begins!

At this point in time I briefly listed the e90 for sale as I was going to buy a 997 911. Problem is I quickly realized Iíd need a $50 - 60K 911 for it to be worth replacing. 911ís are awesome but I felt thatís the line in the sand that exists between where these cars are, and live on the performance spectrum versus one another. Anything less than a 2009 + 911 Carrera S and Iíd just rather have this. So, game on!


Replaced the silly orange reflectors and kidney grills



__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's

Last edited by neilum; 06-08-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 5
      06-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Replace your rod bearings!

Next up was to tackle exhaust as stock is criminally neutered. Luckily I live 20 minutes from Auto Couture and at this point, I still didn’t have big plans so I just had them modify the OEM exhaust as it was just too easy.

After the exhaust mod I really began to enjoy the car and saw it more clearly as more of a long term project and ownership experience. The S65 is just magical. I’ve owned an S2000’s, FBO 335, FBO B8 S4, F80 and out of them all this car is in my opinion offer something unique and special so my plans expanded into addressing the E90 Mx weaknesses and making the car more badass, trackable and overall more focused.

First things first to lay the foundation for any future plans. Off to ACM to get RB’s and motor mounts

Not too bad but it had to be done. What they looked like in 7/19 @ 84,512 miles.



I felt the most important aspect to address next was the suspension. Originally I didn’t intend to modify the suspension and naturally ZCP was supposed to stay, but let’s be honest even the ZCP is not perfect. It’s a bit floaty, sport is unusable on rough roads with the family in the car and turn in could be a lot better. So I consulted with with ACM and they recommend Ohlin’s without hesitation.

12 rear spacers next. I left the front stock as I am not a fan of the bulldog look. Maybe I’ll do 5 mm up front we’ll see.





To be continued...
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's

Last edited by neilum; 06-07-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 6
      06-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
gilberjj
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (0)

Nice. Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

One of the few cosmetic flaws the car had when I got it was peeling paint on the steering wheel trim, and some minor black paint specks on the shift paddles from the prior owner trying to fix, or paint the peeling wheel trim. It's like he had overspray from the trim that splattered onto the paddles a little. Well, we have a solution for that! OEM M Alcantara performance steering wheel, new paddles and new steering wheel trim.



I also added color matched fender grills -

Ahhhh much better




The car is headed to Auto Couture to get a Corsa rear, test pipes and stage 2 tune next week. Stay tuned!
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's

Last edited by neilum; 06-07-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 6
      06-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
Blindside_137
Major General
Blindside_137's Avatar
United_States
2919
Rep
9,578
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (2)

Very nice!!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
1004
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Triad, NC

iTrader: (0)

you are going to LOVE the Corsa + TP combo.. Good choice sir! can't wait to hear your report back.. I went from OEM mod to that combination and its incredible.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
br2wdc
Private
35
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northern VA/Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

I believe this is the 3rd time I have commented on a post/search for a car that was very similar to mine! My requirements were E90 M3 with DCT, no black/black cars, mainly stock, and preferred AW or IB/LMB.

I live in Northern Virginia, and missed on two local cars, an was about to throttle back my search, and stumbled upon a 2011 E90 M3 LMB with 77k miles in Ohio that was a 2-owner car.

In other posts I have described the 2nd owner as "meticulous" and I'll also add "proactive" because every service and every fluid was changed well before it was "due", and he had BMW dealer receipts for everything.

So in the span of 6 days, we spoke for the 1st time and had the parameters of a deal done on a Monday, PPI was completed with flying colors on Wednesday, and that Saturday I was on my way to Ohio in a one way car rental to pickup the car.

Only option it didn't have that I wanted was ZCP, and the competition type wheels are not OEM, but as you can see I think I did OK ...

Congrats on your car!


Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I didnít have any pre-requisites in my search for an E90 except no black and mainly stock. My 3rd day searching the for sale forums here I stumbled on a stock 2011 IB ZCP w/ 72K miles being sold by a financial executive down in VA. Fast forward 4 days of back and forth negotiations, and I was on my way in a rental car to pick it up. The car already had valve cover gaskets, throttle actuators and thermostat replaced as well as a stack of receipts so it was well kept.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:41 AM   #8
M3ANMACHINE
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑ General
M3ANMACHINE's Avatar
United_States
814
Rep
3,770
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (11)

Agreed with the above sentiment that you'll love the Corsa with TP's.

Make sure you upgrade those tips!
__________________

2011 E90 ///M3 | Space Grey | Fox Red | DCT | ZCP | Slicktop
APEX | ALPINE | BIMMERWORLD | COBY WHEEL | CORSA | H&R | IND | MACHT SCHNELL | MRF ENGINEERING | PEDALHAUS | RECARO
2014 F15 X5 | M-SPORT
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881004.00
Space Fox376.50

      06-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Agreed with the above sentiment that you'll love the Corsa with TP's.

Make sure you upgrade those tips!
Yeah buddy! It's the best sounding combo for this car in my opinion.


Funny you say that, we are going to modify the tips.

Jeff suggested these -

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...8ab5f8c505d399


ACM is going to figure it out, weld these on and make them look good. I'm not coming this far in the build and leaving droopy ass tips on it.
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's

Last edited by neilum; 06-08-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
I believe this is the 3rd time I have commented on a post/search for a car that was very similar to mine! My requirements were E90 M3 with DCT, no black/black cars, mainly stock, and preferred AW or IB/LMB.

I live in Northern Virginia, and missed on two local cars, an was about to throttle back my search, and stumbled upon a 2011 E90 M3 LMB with 77k miles in Ohio that was a 2-owner car.

In other posts I have described the 2nd owner as "meticulous" and I'll also add "proactive" because every service and every fluid was changed well before it was "due", and he had BMW dealer receipts for everything.

So in the span of 6 days, we spoke for the 1st time and had the parameters of a deal done on a Monday, PPI was completed with flying colors on Wednesday, and that Saturday I was on my way to Ohio in a one way car rental to pickup the car.

Only option it didn't have that I wanted was ZCP, and the competition type wheels are not OEM, but as you can see I think I did OK ...

Congrats on your car!
Beautiful! Blue works so well on this car.
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Space Fox
First Lieutenant
Space Fox's Avatar
377
Rep
382
Posts

Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Yeah buddy! It's the best sounding combo for this car in my opinion.


Funny you say that, we are going to modify the tips.

Jeff suggested these -

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...8ab5f8c505d399


ACM is going to figure it out, weld these on and make them look good. I'm not coming this far in the build and leaving droopy ass tips on it.
I've always thought the Corsa was by far the best sounding rear section for this platform but don't believe I've heard it with test pipes. Would love a video clip of the set up after install if you can manage!
Excellent looking car. If I went for an e90 this spec would top the list. Love the mods so far
__________________
Instagram: spacefox_m3
Build Thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26372099

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
M3ANMACHINE
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑ General
M3ANMACHINE's Avatar
United_States
814
Rep
3,770
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Yeah buddy! It's the best sounding combo for this car in my opinion.


Funny you say that, we are going to modify the tips.

Jeff suggested these -

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...8ab5f8c505d399


ACM is going to figure it out, weld these on and make them look good. I'm not coming this far in the build and leaving droopy ass tips on it.
These are what I used my second time around as I previously had a larger set that ended up being TOO big : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-qua...72.m2749.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Fox View Post
I've always thought the Corsa was by far the best sounding rear section for this platform but don't believe I've heard it with test pipes. Would love a video clip of the set up after install if you can manage!
Excellent looking car. If I went for an e90 this spec would top the list. Love the mods so far
Here ya go. I may be biased, but I think this is the best vid of the setup:
__________________

2011 E90 ///M3 | Space Grey | Fox Red | DCT | ZCP | Slicktop
APEX | ALPINE | BIMMERWORLD | COBY WHEEL | CORSA | H&R | IND | MACHT SCHNELL | MRF ENGINEERING | PEDALHAUS | RECARO
2014 F15 X5 | M-SPORT
Appreciate 2
neilum428.50
Space Fox376.50

      06-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
These are what I used my second time around as I previously had a larger set that ended up being TOO big : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-qua...72.m2749.l2649



Here ya go. I may be biased, but I think this is the best vid of the setup:
I'll note those tips for future reference in case I don't get it right the first time.


I'll post pictures and a video but it won't be that high quality for sure. He used a mic and everything! Sounds so good!
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Matt@AUTOcouture's Avatar
1754
Rep
1,956
Posts


Drives: V8 tricycle
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Nice Neil, it's comin along great! Can't wait to see how this progresses.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
akkando
Brigadier General
3444
Rep
4,574
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Damn I remember when this went for sale and I thought I could buy it. Found another e90 zcp in IB though.

Also considering a Corsa exhaust with black tips.

Have you considered a CF plenum?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #16
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Damn I remember when this went for sale and I thought I could buy it. Found another e90 zcp in IB though.

Also considering a Corsa exhaust with black tips.

Have you considered a CF plenum?
Oh man I definitely have thought about a Venturi or Karbonius. This mod is further down the must-have-to-do list but they do sound amazing.

How far down this rabbit hole do I want to go?

TBH I am a crossroads right now w/next steps after the Corsa.

Solid subframe bushings?
Monoballs thrust arms?
BBS wheels?

__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
martgsr
Private
Canada
24
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 LMB, S2000 Moonrock
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Very nice.
It's interesting to see many people going from F80 to E9x.
At the same price, would you still choose the E90 ?
Never been in a F80 but the main reason I sold my E46 M3 for my E90 was to get the s65 engine.
The F80 is very nice and agressive but still more expensive than E9x.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgsr View Post
Very nice.
It's interesting to see many people going from F80 to E9x.
At the same price, would you still choose the E90 ?
Never been in a F80 but the main reason I sold my E46 M3 for my E90 was to get the s65 engine.
The F80 is very nice and agressive but still more expensive than E9x.

No doubt the F80 looks very nice and is newer, more reliable, and faster.

I'll still take the V8 for $xx,000, Alex.
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #19
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
M3@Apex's Avatar
41
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (2)

What did ACM end up doing in terms of tips for the Corsa rear section?
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
neilum
Lieutenant
429
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3@Apex View Post
What did ACM end up doing in terms of tips for the Corsa rear section?
We're going w/these but they are back ordered due to Covid and not ready yet.

It'll probably be a few more weeks

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...8ab5f8c505d399
__________________
Ohlins R&T | Alpine | Corsa | Test pipes | OEM M Perf Steering wheel | RB's
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
M3@Apex's Avatar
41
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (2)

I've been noticing that too! We are after the same thing; I got the Corsa installed on my E90 a couple days ago and I've noticed options are thin.

I looked at the vibrant tips and my only concern wjth them is they're not staggered. Otherwise they're perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #22
Senpai
Captain
Senpai's Avatar
Hong Kong
281
Rep
993
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (11)

Loving the classy oem+ look lowered on the ZCP wheels! Also, keep us posted on how those tips turn out for the corsa! I'd like to have ACM change the tips on my corsa setup as well. I think the tips that come on that exhaust just look so out of place.
__________________
Current: Jerez Black E90 M3 6MT
Past: Single Turbo Monaco Blue E90 335xi 6MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST