BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
She's Mine - ALL MINE!!!

A quick post to say at 1630hrs today I drove away from my BMW dealer in my new M3.

I have driven 124 miles in her and am still recovering from the reality of finally having her.

Having had a particularly dreadful week at work and some late nights I will have to write my first thoughts tomorrow - after I have done another 200 miles or so. I will also take some photos - SPACE GREY is awesome on her! The car is far far better than I could have imagined.

I'll end on one word for now - spectacular!

EDIT (review added):

Quote:
OK – so as promised here is my story so far along with my first thoughts on what is a truly spectacular car.

Spec is: Space Grey, black leather and carbon look trim. 19” wheels, EDC, high fi, USB, deletion of smokers, storage nets, mats, auto dipping headlights and folding mirrors.

I arrived at my dealer 1345 hrs, anxiously looking around for a space grey M3 – nothing was spotted outside. I went in and was greeted by the smooth sales manager who directed me to one of his M3 guys. After the usual greetings we sat down and he asked “you been waiting long for this…..? I laughed and obviously looked like “what do you think dude?” He then said, “I’ll go and fetch her.” Five minutes later he came back and we walked out to the front of the showroom. He had reversed her up so as I walked outside the first thing I saw was the left rear arch which then led to the whole beautiful thing. I stood behind the rear and just looked for a minute in silence. I’m not quite sure why I did – I guess the shock of actually seeing “my” car after a long wait, the beauty of her etc. A few other people were there and they all commented on what an awesome car she was.

He then said should I start her up? I said no – I will, so I got in, adjusted the seat, put the key in, pressed the clutch down and pressed the starter key. A mix of electronics and the bursting into life of a metallic V8 – which initially is quite loud but then quietens down into a mellow throb heightened my senses – for all of you yet to get your cars, I STRONGLY urge you to savour this moment – it is an incredible experience. I just gazed at all the wizardry in front of me and took in the smell of the inside for a couple of minutes. I then switched the engine off and we went back inside to do the paperwork.

After this, we then spent 1.5 hrs going through car and set up etc. I won’t bore you all with this. I have set car up for docile mode on the key and then the M button lunatic mode – though whilst running in car I won’t be using M button – don’t see the point and it’s something more to look forward to!!

So eventually, 1630 hrs I drive off, with a huge grin inside and out on my face.

A small journey took me out of town and first impressions were the car felt solid yet agile. Steering was easy and I know what other people mean by that initial lack of steering feel but with town steering you want things easy so whilst the initial turn lacks in feedback it quickly then gives you it. Out on the open road as things stiffen up steering becomes more connected but there is still a tiny lack of initial feedback. Whether this changes once in M dynamic mode I don't know yet.

I drove the car on A and B roads and stayed in “soft” mode throughout. There was section of bumpy B road where the front felt like it could not cope with the rebound quickly enough. I drove the same section today in sport EDC setting and it was fine.

The engine pulls well in any gear – I was most impressed with its ability to pull away from 30mph in 5th! To be honest yesterdays drive was just plodding along getting used the baby and enjoying the moment. Thrills were the engine sound and just being in her.

I then took her out in the evening to see what the lights were like and try the auto dipping headlights. Lights are brilliant but I’m not sure about the auto dipping. Seems that when the lights get reflection of road signs (we have black and white stripe diagonal signs for corners - that they dip down – which I was not impressed with. I will need to try some more night driving before I decide if it is a worthwhile option.

Today I went for another drive and have hit over 200 miles. I opened her up a bit on a couple of stretches of dual carriageway in 4th, 5th and 6th to 5000 rpm and in normal mode it was quite something. Goodness only knows what she will be like when I can go mental…..

Engine sound was again amazing. If your in a high gear tootling at 2000rpm and you accelerate away, there is a sudden deepening of noise which then rises to a higher pitch – if you have ever watched any WWII movies and listened to the fighter planes, that is the nearest I can explain – simply amazing.

Brakes appear to be good, but I have been using them gently but once the pedal is pressed they stop her immediately with great progression. What there like when there hot we’ll have to wait and see.

Gear box is SWEET! Changing up and down when "on the move" is fantastic - you can really get some smooth changes going,like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

She is thirsty. I filled her up last night for £65.00 and having done 86 miles she has just over half a tank left….. I hope she becomes more fuel-efficient…

Two things annoy me – first is I keep hearing the DVD wiz around and when the seat belt arm goes back it catches the side and has marked it already.

Seat position has taken a while to get best fit but there are loads of positions and I think I am nearly there. Side grip on seats is great. Steering wheel felt weird at first (too thick), but now I love it.

iDrive is a doddle to use.

As you can see I have taken a few photos and if any of you want something more specific, let me know.

Clearly I have much more to explore in terms of performance etc, but cannot do this until I have properly run her in. I will continue to update on my thoughts, but I am truly enjoying the car and it is amazing. It is worth the wait.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Congrats and enjoy the car!

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Fantastic! I'm sure you'll love it...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Look forward to your take and of course the photographs.
      11-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Knew that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Look forward to your take and of course the photographs.
I knew you would ask for pics, immediately. I am curious as to the fascination. Is it the reality, easier to see it happening for yourself, better angles/shots, etc. What is it? For me the personal pics are a love/hate thing, hate being the damn US release date...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Gadgetman
Captain Darren
United_States
Rep
Drives: Canadian Regional Jet 900

Congratulations!

I enjoy hearing others experiencing the New M3. I just sold my 2005 BMW E46 M3 and still saving/anticipating the release in the United States.

Cant wait to see your pictures too.

What options did you decide on?

Regards,
Darren
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I like seeing owner pictures too.

Its good to see what the car actually looks like in the absence of staged lighting and a professional photographer.

Plus not many space gray pics yet!

About the love/hate... seriously, the car will be in the US in the next month or two right...

Still 6 months...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I knew you would ask for pics, immediately. I am curious as to the fascination. Is it the reality, easier to see it happening for yourself, better angles/shots, etc. What is it? For me the personal pics are a love/hate thing, hate being the damn US release date...
I didn't ask. He already offered to take pics and I was just reassuring him they would be appreciated.

The pictures have a different feel to them when you see them parked in someome's driveway. Plus, each pic is a further chance for me to evaluate color options and the act of purchasing.
      11-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
Awesome. congrats.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198r View Post
I'll end on one word for now - spectacular!

Congratulations!!!! Bet your still smiling, I am! Last night, for the first time, sat there and red the manual (with a bottle of Jack) and picked up so much stuff. The first milestone is 300 miles, then you just need to get it to 1250 miles before accessing that engine to the max.

I now realise that folding door mirrors don't fold from the key like they used to; apparently BMW have stopped that. Oh... and don't be alarmed if the oil gauge take a while to measure oil level; it doesn't operate if the engine is not fully warmed up.

Look forward to your detailed comments. Cheers. JB!

EDIT: Hey, you can now officially change the car that you drive in your profile!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
Congratulations!!!! Bet your still smiling, I am! Last night, for the first time, sat there and red the manual (with a bottle of Jack) and picked up so much stuff. The first milestone is 300 miles, then you just need to get it to 1250 miles before accessing that engine to the max.

I now realise that folding door mirrors don't fold from the key like they used to; apparently BMW have stopped that. Oh... and don't be alarmed if the oil gauge take a while to measure oil level; it doesn't operate if the engine is not fully warmed up.

Look forward to your detailed comments. Cheers. JB!

EDIT: Hey, you can now officially change the car that you drive in your profile!
Good to hear that some owners actually read the manual. For some reason, I have found that alot of owners don't read it and then ask all sorts of questions that are covered by the manual.
Even better to do it with a bottle of Jack!
      11-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I enjoy personal pictures as well. For all the reasons mentioned above. Besides, when is more pictures ever a bad thing? It definitely helps us celebrate the new purchase and helps the owner share his joyous experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
OK – so as promised here is my story so far along with my first thoughts on what is a truly spectacular car.

Spec is: Space Grey, black leather and carbon look trim. 19” wheels, EDC, high fi, USB, deletion of smokers, storage nets, mats, auto dipping headlights and folding mirrors.

I arrived at my dealer 1345 hrs, anxiously looking around for a space grey M3 – nothing was spotted outside. I went in and was greeted by the smooth sales manager who directed me to one of his M3 guys. After the usual greetings we sat down and he asked “you been waiting long for this…..? I laughed and obviously looked like “what do you think dude?” He then said, “I’ll go and fetch her.” Five minutes later he came back and we walked out to the front of the showroom. He had reversed her up so as I walked outside the first thing I saw was the left rear arch which then led to the whole beautiful thing. I stood behind the rear and just looked for a minute in silence. I’m not quite sure why I did – I guess the shock of actually seeing “my” car after a long wait, the beauty of her etc. A few other people were there and they all commented on what an awesome car she was.

He then said should I start her up? I said no – I will, so I got in, adjusted the seat, put the key in, pressed the clutch down and pressed the starter key. A mix of electronics and the bursting into life of a metallic V8 – which initially is quite loud but then quietens down into a mellow throb heightened my senses – for all of you yet to get your cars, I STRONGLY urge you to savour this moment – it is an incredible experience. I just gazed at all the wizardry in front of me and took in the smell of the inside for a couple of minutes. I then switched the engine off and we went back inside to do the paperwork.

After this, we then spent 1.5 hrs going through car and set up etc. I won’t bore you all with this. I have set car up for docile mode on the key and then the M button lunatic mode – though whilst running in car I won’t be using M button – don’t see the point and it’s something more to look forward to!!

So eventually, 1630 hrs I drive off, with a huge grin inside and out on my face.

A small journey took me out of town and first impressions were the car felt solid yet agile. Steering was easy and I know what other people mean by that initial lack of steering feel but with town steering you want things easy so whilst the initial turn lacks in feedback it quickly then gives you it. Out on the open road as things stiffen up steering becomes more connected but there is still a tiny lack of initial feedback. Whether this changes once in M dynamic mode I don't know yet.

I drove the car on A and B roads and stayed in “soft” mode throughout. There was section of bumpy B road where the front felt like it could not cope with the rebound quickly enough. I drove the same section today in sport EDC setting and it was fine.

The engine pulls well in any gear – I was most impressed with its ability to pull away from 30mph in 5th! To be honest yesterdays drive was just plodding along getting used the baby and enjoying the moment. Thrills were the engine sound and just being in her.

I then took her out in the evening to see what the lights were like and try the auto dipping headlights. Lights are brilliant but I’m not sure about the auto dipping. Seems that when the lights get reflection of road signs (we have black and white stripe diagonal signs for corners - that they dip down – which I was not impressed with. I will need to try some more night driving before I decide if it is a worthwhile option.

Today I went for another drive and have hit over 200 miles. I opened her up a bit on a couple of stretches of dual carriageway in 4th, 5th and 6th to 5000 rpm and in normal mode it was quite something. Goodness only knows what she will be like when I can go mental…..

Engine sound was again amazing. If your in a high gear tootling at 2000rpm and you accelerate away, there is a sudden deepening of noise which then rises to a higher pitch – if you have ever watched any WWII movies and listened to the fighter planes, that is the nearest I can explain – simply amazing.

Brakes appear to be good, but I have been using them gently but once the pedal is pressed they stop her immediately with great progression. What there like when there hot we’ll have to wait and see.

Gear box is SWEET! Changing up and down when "on the move" is fantastic - you can really get some smooth changes going,like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

She is thirsty. I filled her up last night for £65.00 and having done 86 miles she has just over half a tank left….. I hope she becomes more fuel-efficient…

Two things annoy me – first is I keep hearing the DVD wiz around and when the seat belt arm goes back it catches the side and has marked it already.

Seat position has taken a while to get best fit but there are loads of positions and I think I am nearly there. Side grip on seats is great. Steering wheel felt weird at first (too thick), but now I love it.

iDrive is a doddle to use.

As you can see I have taken a few photos and if any of you want something more specific, let me know.

Clearly I have much more to explore in terms of performance etc, but cannot do this until I have properly run her in. I will continue to update on my thoughts, but I am truly enjoying the car and it is amazing. It is worth the wait.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Enjoy your new M3!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Congrats and enjoy !
      11-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

thank you for the write up & congrats....how's the CF trim in real life?

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
excellent

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Thumbs up

I can't wait to be in your shoes. You're very lucky and I thank you for taking the time to give your insights and comments. I can see that you're very happy and excited about your new purchase.

I'm just being cheeky. On a more serious note, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Beautiful....I am jealous!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Awesome car, space gray!

ps do you live in a castle?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
thank you for the write up & congrats....how's the CF trim in real life?
It looks really good in my opinion - because it has texture it doesn't look tacky like the carbon trim in other (RS4 ) cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #22
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown08 View Post
Awesome car, space gray!

ps do you live in a castle?
All those photos were taken in a 10 minute slot and it's amazing how the light changes the colour. I'll take some shots in bright daylight too cause it looks very different.

Lets just say I live on hill....
Appreciate 0