BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-15-2024, 10:06 PM   #1
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

M3 engine/exhaust components using vaccum

The output from the S65 engine vacuum pump goes through a vacuum line which eventually splits into two separate lines.

Of the two, one line goes to the the brake booster for power steering purposes. The other line goes to an unknown location. On RealOEM the vacuum line which goes nowhere is labeled #14.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1627

The vacuum in this line #14 is obviously used for something either in the engine or the exhaust; but, I cannot pin point what components require the vacuum in this line.

Does anyone have any idea what components require this vacuum or, perhaps what publication might show explain it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:17 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

I had to look at that line for a minute, that diagram like many others on realoem is inaccurate. that hose in question, #14, actually goes to the idle control valve then comes out the back of the engine and joins the section that goes to the brake booster line.
Name:  icv.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  467.3 KB

when you see those stainless pipes they are typically ran on the engine.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933164.00
yardbro61.00
      02-18-2024, 10:52 AM   #3
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
I had to look at that line for a minute, that diagram like many others on realoem is inaccurate. that hose in question, #14, actually goes to the idle control valve then comes out the back of the engine and joins the section that goes to the brake booster line.

when you see those stainless pipes they are typically ran on the engine.
I'm reasonably sure Line 14 connects to the Fuel Tank Breather Valve (FTBV). That valve sits atop the the Idle control Valve even though it has nothing directly to do with the with the Idle Control Valve
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1244

The vacuum supplied by that line 14 through the FTBV is eventually applied to the EVAP system. The evap system is intended to remove gas tank vapors.

FYI, I'm chasing down causes of a limp mode on a one owner, stock, 2013 M3. And yes I know about TVA problems.
Appreciate 0