BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-13-2024, 01:02 PM   #1
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Open Discussion: Aftermarket Manual Transmission Options?

A topic of pure curiosity. I was thinking the other day, has anyone swapped in other makes or models of manual transmissions?

The ZF 6-speed isn't the worst transmission out there, but I haven't heard anyone say it's the best. The gear ratios seem fine for light track duty at most track configurations, but I (along with many others) don't care for the OEM shifter feel.

This all left me with some questions I thought would be interesting to discuss.

Is the ZF 6-spd fine, and aftermarket shifters like AutoSolutions or even RTD solve the main issues?

I have heard the manual unit can't simply be rebuilt if a synchro goes out, and it's not a cheap replacement unit. Is this true?

Is the swap just not worth all the custom fitting required (I assume it's not just plug and play)?

Is anyone who cares that much just going to get a DCT model instead since it's faster on track?

Is it because there's no aftermarket options rated to 8,500 RPM? I used to own a 2001 Mustang Cobra with a T-56 Magnum and it was niiiice. But those are not rated to go over 7,800 RPM. Plus, would they fit in an e9X?

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:22 PM   #2
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

the ZF6 spd is fine, the 09+ clutch and a ltw fly wheel literally make this trans solid once, you add a Auto Solutions or a CAE.

alternatively, you'd spend money getting a new housing made.. and possibly a new drive shaft + modifying the center console for the shifter.. im not sure there is any manual trans out there that would line up with the ZF.

if i had to, i would do a CD009 from a 350/370z.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 08:40 PM   #3
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

Just had an Autosolutions SSK, M5 shift knob, ultimate clutch pedal installed in mine. Shifting feels so much better, there are no words. Still some “notchi-ness” 1-2, but vastly improved all around.
      02-14-2024, 05:32 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

A topic of pure curiosity. I was thinking the other day, has anyone swapped in other makes or models of manual transmissions?

The ZF 6-speed isn't the worst transmission out there, but I haven't heard anyone say it's the best. The gear ratios seem fine for light track duty at most track configurations, but I (along with many others) don't care for the OEM shifter feel.
the gear ratios of the manual make no sense in first gear atleast but the manual can get going all day in 2nd which works well on the street which is where these cars live.

This all left me with some questions I thought would be interesting to discuss.

Is the ZF 6-spd fine, and aftermarket shifters like AutoSolutions or even RTD solve the main issues?
im gonna be honest, the zf trans is no 420getrag but it can take a beating especially with an rtd or any other chassis mounted shifter. most of these m3s with 80k miles and a manual drive like dogshit. I have upgraded bimmerworld engine mounts, new oem trans mounts and a rtd shifter with a cae shift rod the adjustable one so that the gear stick is upright in 1-3-5 and it does not miss shifts, no lock outs, nothing. it is a little notchy when its cold but once you get heat in the fluid it shifts good. I have a lightweight flywheel also which makes every shift very fast, the stock flywheel is heavy and 2 pieces so it takes away from the solid shift feeling.

I have heard the manual unit can't simply be rebuilt if a synchro goes out, and it's not a cheap replacement unit. Is this true?
it can be opened, im not sure if parts are available to purchase but when I did my swap i did buy a second trans for parts for the future.

Is the swap just not worth all the custom fitting required (I assume it's not just plug and play)?

Is anyone who cares that much just going to get a DCT model instead since it's faster on track?

the gt4 cars ran a manual with an upgraded gearset.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933164.00