BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-28-2024, 07:55 PM   #1
feltrockni
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi coupe

Temporary performance tuning on demand

I've always wanted to set up a car with what's essentially a fake nos button since I was a teenager. I just picked up an e92 and with the tuning potential of these cars I wanted to ask some people who were more familiar with them, how fast can the tuning change, and how often?
Would it be realistic to try and put a big red button on the wheel that changes the tuning to high performance, while leaving it in an efficiency tune most of the time? Or is the system not realistically capable of changing over that fast?
Years ago I talked to a guy who set up his hot rod to get like 35mpg until he depressed the gas pedal far enough by using two separate electrical systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:23 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

The M3 already comes with a variable performance tuning switch. If you look in the driver foot well you will see a long upright pedal on the right side. If you press that pedal halfway, you get half performance, press it all the way and you get full power. Give it a try, it's pretty fun.
Appreciate 8