BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
mthreecpe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Jacking question

If I'm only jacking up one side to access one specific wheel and use the floor jack on the factory jack pad, what is the proper placement of the jack stand for safety (with the jack pad already in use)? Please provide for both front and rear.

Obviously more involved work sees the whole front or back go up from the center jacking point so the jack stands are available. Thanks

Last edited by mthreecpe; 11-15-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I usually put a jack stand at the inner knuckle of the lower control arm and set the car down on it. Then, I try to knock the car off the jack stand to make sure it is stable (this saved my life on my E36 as the jack stand collapsed when I kicked the wheel before changing the fuel filter...). If it is, then I get under the car.

If I am just changing a tire, I do not always put a jack stand under there. I just don't get under the car without a jack stand.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...

Last edited by Scharbag; 11-15-2020 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      11-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I also use suspension mounting points, or a subframe if one is accessible (front is covered by the reinforcement plate so you go to the outside of it where the suspension mounting point is).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the one time i really had to have the car up in the air to work under it, i parked it up on the race ramps facing down the driveway (they have a little chalk lip on them), jacked up the rear by the differential, placed flat jackstands under the rear oem jacking points. i then jacked up the front slightly to set the second set of jack stands on the front oem jacking points. i left the race ramps in place as a fail safe. the car was very solid on a slight slope of a driveway.
      11-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Try not to do it in public.
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11574.50
      11-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
mthreecpe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

What about along the frame rails, basically in-line with the 4 primary jacking points along the outside of the car? It's hard to see what's solid and what isn't, however, given the plastic trim along these rails...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreecpe View Post
What about along the frame rails, basically in-line with the 4 primary jacking points along the outside of the car? It's hard to see what's solid and what isn't, however, given the plastic trim along these rails...
if you're just trying to prop something under the car in case of the hydraulic floor jack failing and crushing you, just get some flat top jack stands and snug them up against a flat underbody panel. if you're not going to drop the car on the jacks and introduce shock weight, you aren't going to punch through the car's tub.
and don't bother with those jack adapters that sandwich between the floor jack and oem jacking points. they aren't necessary.
      11-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

My approach is to use the the jack points for the safety jacks. It can be a multi step process. If only jacking the rear, I will put a floor jack under the rear differential with a 4" x 4" block of wood to avoid the differential cover. I like the side jack points over using the rear subframe for two reasons: there is more room if one is going fully under the car and I just had my subframe powder coated and want to avoid damaging the paint.

However, if I'm only taking off a single wheel, I will use the floor jack under the closest jack point and then put a safety jack under a hard point such as the rear subframe or front subframe/cover plate bolts. If I do this I generally don't go under the car but take off a wheel for a brake inspection or tire change. I tend to leave the car supported by the hydraulic jack and leave a space between the safety jack and the hard point. Main thing here is don't go under the car.

If I'm jacking the front end I will use the rear jack point on the side of the car and jack it high enough to get the front wheel off of the ground. Put a safety jack under the front of raised side, lower onto the safety jack, then utilize the center jack point to raise the car and put the safety jack on both front jack points.

At this point I swear at myself for not buying the last QuickJack at Costco two years ago.
Appreciate 0