BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
hammick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Winter wheels for '08 M3 Sedan

I just ordered a set of 235/40R18 Blizzaks for my '08 M3 and TPMS from Tirerack. I really want to order the 18x8 replicas below. They have an offset of 35 and I understand BMW recommends 20. Will these fit OK and will they look OK or will I need spacers? Can anyone recommend alternative wheels in the same price point that looks as good? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

The fronts will likely fit but you are going to need spacers in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

My sedan has the stock 18s. With the wheels and tires above the offset calculator says the rears will gain 7mm clearance on the strut and retract 31mm. The front will stay the same on the strut and retract 12mm.

Should I run the new setup in the front without spacers and use 20mm spacers in the rear? This spacer game is new to me so looking for some good advice. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Alicate
Raw Conscript
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E90M3

There may be an error in your calculations. The OEM front wheel is 8.5 x 18 ET 29. If you install 8.0 x 18 ET 35, the inner clearance will stay the same and the outside of the wheel would be retracted 12 mm. That is OK. But in the rear your numbers are correct, so I would use a spacer, 12 mm or 20mm. The 20 would look better by keeping the same approximate position in the well as the front wheel. Your tire size selection is good for winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicate View Post
There may be an error in your calculations. The OEM front wheel is 8.5 x 18 ET 29. If you install 8.0 x 18 ET 35, the inner clearance will stay the same and the outside of the wheel would be retracted 12 mm. That is OK. But in the rear your numbers are correct, so I would use a spacer, 12 mm or 20mm. The 20 would look better by keeping the same approximate position in the well as the front wheel. Your tire size selection is good for winter.
OK. Thanks. 20mm it is. Now where should I get the rear spacers?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Alicate
Raw Conscript
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E90M3

Turner motorsports is a good source. You can choose from TMS or HR. There are other vendors.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicate View Post
Turner motorsports is a good source. You can choose from TMS or HR. There are other vendors.
Thanks. I bought a set of 20mm Macth Shnell based upon recommendations on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
dubstar27
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Jet Black M3

Hammick, let me know how this goes. I'm considering the same winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstar27 View Post
Hammick, let me know how this goes. I'm considering the same winter setup.
Will do. I have the tires and TPMS and the wheels and spacers are in transit from Cali. I should have it all put together and installed by the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

you might run into front break clearance with that offset. Therefore you might need a spacer on the front. That offset in the back will still look inset from flush even with a 20mm spacer. My rear snow wheel is a 18x18.5 ET20 with a 12mm spacer making it an ET 8 which looks good.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

As promised I am attaching pics of my winter wheel and tire setup. These are the 18x8 wheels from OEM Wheels Plus with the Blizzacks. These are 35mm offset wheels and I am using a 20mm Macht Schnell spacers in the rear and no spacers up front. I am happy the looks especially compared to the A7 winter wheels I used on my 335i.

For $565 shipped including BMW insterts you absolutely cannot go wrong with these replicas. Sure the paint job does not rival that of the OEM wheels and it remains to be seen how they will hold up. Unless you look real close the paint job looks great. There paint is think inside where the lugs go but other than that just fine. These would be even a better deal for those with regular 3-series because of the 35mm offsets.

Now the Blizzaks are squirmy but I knew they would be. If I had to do it over again I would probably get the better handling winter tire but come snow I am sure I will be glad. Plus in the spring it will feel like I am getting a new car when I put the OEM 18s back on. I am hoping the Blizzaks won't be as squirmy in cold weather. It was mid 50s today and I've only done about 30 miles with them.

I'm a little concerned about how I am going to remove the spaces in the spring. I cleaned up the hubs with some rust remover and fine steel wool but I still needed a mallot to get them flush. I am hoping I can heat them up and they will pop right off. If not, I'm going to have to figure out a way to pry them off without scratching up the hubs and spacers.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
As promised I am attaching pics of my winter wheel and tire setup. These are the 18x8 wheels from OEM Wheels Plus with the Blizzacks. These are 35mm offset wheels and I am using a 20mm Macht Schnell spacers in the rear and no spacers up front. I am happy the looks especially compared to the A7 winter wheels I used on my 335i.

For $565 shipped including BMW insterts you absolutely cannot go wrong with these replicas. Sure the paint job does not rival that of the OEM wheels and it remains to be seen how they will hold up. Unless you look real close the paint job looks great. There paint is think inside where the lugs go but other than that just fine. These would be even a better deal for those with regular 3-series because of the 35mm offsets.

Now the Blizzaks are squirmy but I knew they would be. If I had to do it over again I would probably get the better handling winter tire but come snow I am sure I will be glad. Plus in the spring it will feel like I am getting a new car when I put the OEM 18s back on. I am hoping the Blizzaks won't be as squirmy in cold weather. It was mid 50s today and I've only done about 30 miles with them.

I'm a little concerned about how I am going to remove the spaces in the spring. I cleaned up the hubs with some rust remover and fine steel wool but I still needed a mallot to get them flush. I am hoping I can heat them up and they will pop right off. If not, I'm going to have to figure out a way to pry them off without scratching up the hubs and spacers.

Thanks for all the help.
Nice winter setup. I have the same tires and yes they are very squishy and crap traction when I put them on while it was still warm or 10+C. It is now getting colder around 0C and colder at night and it's a huge difference. Grip is far better in the colder temps and no mushyness on hard cornering. For the spacer removal come spring you should put some anti-size grease on the hub before installing spacers otherwize it'll be a bitch to remove them after rust forms over the winter months. Even though you put the wheels on already you should consider taking them off and applying the grease before it's too late!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
hammick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
Nice winter setup. I have the same tires and yes they are very squishy and crap traction when I put them on while it was still warm or 10+C. It is now getting colder around 0C and colder at night and it's a huge difference. Grip is far better in the colder temps and no mushyness on hard cornering. For the spacer removal come spring you should put some anti-size grease on the hub before installing spacers otherwize it'll be a bitch to remove them after rust forms over the winter months. Even though you put the wheels on already you should consider taking them off and applying the grease before it's too late!
Good to hear the Blizzaks tighten up in cold weather. I applied a liberal amount of No.2 multipurpose water resistant grease to the hubs, both sides of the spacers and to the mounting portion of the wheels. Despite this I still needed light malot taps to get the spacers flush.
Appreciate 0