BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

12-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW iFE.18 race car set for first race appearance in Formula E Championship

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW iFE.18 race car ready for first race appearance
COMMENTS

Munich. Next Saturday, the Ad Diriyah E-Prix (KSA) kicks off the fifth season of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship. It also marks the first race appearance for the BMW i Andretti Motorsport team and the BMW iFE.18 race car with its BMW i powertrain. Two BMW works drivers, Alexander Sims (GBR) and António Félix da Costa (POR), will be the drivers. Sims is set to contest his first Formula E season, while Félix da Costa will enter his fifth year in the first race series for fully-electric single-seater cars. Once again in Season 5 BMW i, as “Official Vehicle Partner” of Formula E, will provide the safety car fleet for all races.

Quotes ahead of the Ad Diriyah E-Prix:

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):

“The long period of preparation for our official works entry into the ABB FIA Formula E Championship is coming to an end. For us, Formula E is the 'Tech Lab' for iNEXT. Our powertrain was developed in close collaboration between motorsport and production, and the findings from this overarching collaboration will flow into future BMW i models. Now the excitement for the first race and the first comparison with our rivals is building. We feel ready for this new challenge.”

Roger Griffiths (Team Principal BMW i Andretti Motorsport):

“Everyone at the BMW i Andretti Motorsport team is approaching the new season with a sense of excitement and anticipation. After several years of working together in an unofficial manner, the new works partnership comes to Season 5 ready to take up the challenge with the all new BMW iFE.18. Testing so far has been very positive, but testing is testing and now the real competition starts. We have two proven, first-class drivers in Alexander and António, who I know are both hungry for success. The team is backed by an innovative group of partners, each of which are industry leaders in their own fields. All of us feel the potential of the team and are looking forward to the green flag.”

Alexander Sims (#27 BMW iFE.18):

“I’m really looking forward to the first race of the season. Testing has gone reasonably well and we have been able to get a lot of mileage under our belts, which feels like we’re in a good position for the season opener. The team has also been working really well and we are all enthusiastic to finally kick off as BMW works team. I personally hope for a smooth first race weekend in Season 5 without any big mistakes – that is realistically my main goal as a rookie.”

António Félix da Costa (#28 BMW iFE.18):

“A completely new challenge lies ahead of us. I’m really happy to be part of it. We are very motivated after the testing, which went well. It doesn’t really mean a lot for the first race itself but it gives a good feeling already. We do have high goals but we’re down to earth with our approach, as anything can happen in Formula E. I’m sure we have the right people in the team, so I’m really looking forward to a strong season ahead of us.”

The FANBOOST vote.

FANBOOST gives Formula E fans the opportunity to vote for their favourite driver and award them an extra boost of power during the race. The five drivers with the most FANBOOST votes are awarded a significant burst of power, which they can deploy in a 5-second window during the second half of the race. Fans can vote for their favourite driver in the six days prior to, and leading up to 15 minutes into, each race. There are three ways to vote: Online at https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/, via the official Formula E App or on Twitter using the hashtag #FANBOOST plus the drivers first and last name as a one-word hashtag.

Name:  P90327413_highRes_valencia-esp-bmw-i-m.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  349.1 KB

Name:  P90327417_highRes_valencia-esp-bmw-i-m.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  242.5 KB

Name:  P90327427_highRes_valencia-esp-bmw-i-m.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  513.2 KB

Name:  P90327832_highRes_valencia-esp-19th-oc.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  372.6 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Yay?
      12-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Finally!!!
It's time to trickle some of this technology to our cars
      12-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Mrgunfun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT

Umm, nice i guess
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Love_Hounds
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That FANBOOST stuff is just stupid, let the drivers, the powerplants, and the chassis speak for themselves.
      12-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Hounds View Post
That FANBOOST stuff is just stupid, let the drivers, the powerplants, and the chassis speak for themselves.
My only takeaway as well.
      12-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Exciting times
      12-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep