BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

04-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

overall protection package on M3

Here is a car that I performed a "full detail" on. Granted this term is very subjective, but I will use it here to cater to the masses as more people than not consider a full detail a wash/wax and interior cleaning/protection...I think otherwise, but since I am the one doing the work, I am a little biased!

Upon first arrival, you can see this car is pretty dirty. It hadnt been washed in about 3 weeks with daily drives through off and on rain storms. When it rains on day one, and not again for two days, but then rains for 3 days straight, and continues this pattern for several weeks, the thought of washing goes out the window for some (I know it does for my own car which sits outside 24/7)

Also, on the interior, no vacuuming was done for the same amount of time. A couple of miles of wear and tear will bring down the quality of an interior no problem! Getting in and out of seats, eating in the car, shoes tracking in dirt/debris...the interior gets worked over just as fast as the exterior.

Here, you can see the wear and tear on the seats from people getting in and out.

and some more shots of 3 weeks of driving daily without vacuuming and dusting the car.

So here is what I did in 2.5 hours to give this M3 a facelift and get it looking sharp again.

Starting off with a dawn detergent wash, I removed all the loose dirt and debris from the surface of the paint using microfiber towels, waffle weeve drying towels and grout sponge for wash media. After the body was washed, I moved onto the wheels/tires and used a degreaser on the tires to remove the old dressing applications and get the tire bare once again. The wheels where washed with various brushes and a wheel cleaner safe for all wheel finishes to break down the brake dust attached to the wheel. once cleaned, I rinsed and dried each wheel independently.

After pulling the car into the garage to let the paint cool down (never want to work with hot paint if you can avoid it), I used a paintwork cleanser to remove anything on the paint and prep the paint for a sealant application. Once cleaned, I applied a sealant wax to the car and let that setup and cure while I moved onto the interior of the car.

For the interior, I used a light wash/wipedown over all surfaces to remove dust and dirt that might be accumulating. following that, I dusted the cracks and crevices and vacuumed the whole interior. After, I began to condition the different panels and pieces accordingly; leather received conditioning, and plastics/vinyl received a protectant. Door jambs were wiped clean with a QD and MF towel.

Here are the final results all said and done 2.5 hours later.

You will/should notice that everything on the interior has a matte finish, similar to that of a brand new car. No greasy dressings applied to make everything "shiny" as thats not how cars are supposed to look. Interiors are supposed to be flat looking, brand new, not "detailed". The paintwork cleanser on the exterior followed by the sealant wax really set off the color and enhanced the gloss.

Products used:
Dawn
chemical guys ezcream glaze, sticky gel wheel cleaner
Blackfire wet diamond wax
meguiars degreaser, window cleaner, last touch
optimum no rinse
ezdetail brush, double sided brush
303 aerospace protection
leatherique prestine clean
detailed image foam pads
pcxp

Thanks for looking, now go out and get your ride dialed in, or call to have it done for you!!!

Eric
Appreciate 0