BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
vladdy328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Fighting a seatbelt ticket

I know that driving without a seatbelt is stupid, especially in the state of Washington, not only will it result in a $150 dollar fine and be put on your driving record but it can also result in injury or death. Therefore I always wear my seatbelt. Last week though I was pulling out of a parallel park on a very busy street in downtown Everett, I was not wearing my seatbelt so I could have a wider range of view in order to prevent my car from getting plowed into on a street where the speed limit is 35. As I pulled out of the parking spot I see a cop directly in front of me staring right at me. My car was still halfway in the parking spot and he pulled me over for not wearing my seatbelt. Isn't that just plain ridiculous? I'm sure most people dont wear the belt while pulling out of a parallel park. He aproached my car and asked me if I knew what I did wrong. I replied I know I wasnt wearing my belt and explained why I failed to do so. I thought he would understand but he followed to say that it was his job to give me a ticket. The cop was a complete asshole and wrote me a ticket for failure to wear the belt I normally would not take this to court but since it was so naive of the bastard to do that I am going to fight it pleading that it was unreasonable traffic enforcement. He could have been doing more important things than watching me pull out of this spot. Anyways what do you guys think? I know that not wearing a belt is hard to fight and the law clearly states that not wearing your belt while operating a vehicle will result in a fine but, there is an extent to where the law becomes arbitrary. Therefore what are my chances of actually being able to win this in court. Any ideas or thoughts would help.

"Come to Me, and I will give you rest." || Matt 11:28
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

literally no idea. i just paid my seatbelt ticket when i got one. you're really posting in the wrong section though... have no idea how this is related to lighter side.

try argue that you had the seatbelt on, but had to remove it to safely exit the parallel park as your range of vision was not enough when you did have the seatbelt fastened; it was in fact safety that prompted you to remove said seatbelt. my 2 cents. also point out that you did explain this to the officer but he still cited you.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
vladdy328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Thanks man, Ill repost in a different section.

"Come to Me, and I will give you rest." || Matt 11:28
Appreciate 0