BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Poor man's Porsche, lol. Not a lot of poor people spending Porsche money on cars. Face it, some of us just know the mid-engine cars are a better design and don't care if people think you got one because you couldn't afford a 911. If anything, Porsche tends to under rate their cars.
Cayman turbo may end up being the better DD due to the low end torque.
It's still not clear how Porsche will cripple the Cayman turbo so it doesn't beat the base Carrera.
M3 isn't a better choice, just a different one. Best to have both
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
Chris 23
Rep
Drives: 2014 991 911

It is in no way a poor man's Porsche. The new designed Cayman and Boxster are actually just as good looking if not better looking than the new 911's. Besides the fact that getting into either a new Boxster/Cayman S will put you at Base 911 performance (straight line) with better handling. The new Boxster S put in a sub 8 minute Ring time, and Porsche is supposed to be focusing more on performance with the cayman. Meaning if they put options such as PTV in the new cayman it will be at low 7:50s. Besides the fact that the lines on the cayman are absolutely beautiful (i also have a cayman). The M3 is beautiful, and one of my favorite cars, but these two cars are very, very different cars.

Last edited by Chris 23; 12-14-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
Chris 23
Rep
Drives: 2014 991 911

^I also am not just a Porsche fanboy, I love the M3 and have lots of friends with them (they are awesome cars), which is a reason I am a part of this site, but I just hate when people put down the mid-engine Porsche's because they think they are entry level.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Guys guys, before you get your panties in a bunch the 350hp is rated, meaning it wont be near that number on a dyno. We would be looking at around 300hp-310hp if that. Yeah it will have more tq but remember this is the poor mans Porsche. They look great but an entry level car. Thats a fact.

I already went down this route last year looking at these and just could not justify buying it so went with the M3. Much better choice.
The Cayman is a superior platform and is a much better looking car IMO than the 911. It is pure traditionalism with regards to what Porsche is doing with the 911.

For under $100k, you can get a Cayman S with a high degree of performance options and customization from the factory, ceramic brakes and all. Other than straight line power, this car simply rocks. And, given its weight, and minimal driveline loss, it will still be plenty fast. The previous gen Cayman R ran 0-60 in the mid 4's, similar to an M3, so this one should be the same or a tad better.
      12-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

lol @ poor mans Porsche. Only someone with limited car knowledge would say something like that (or someone who is just a snob/prick).

I love the new cayman. Porsche just keeps upping their game with each new iteration of their models. Would love to own one someday.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 23 View Post
It is in no way a poor man's Porsche. The new designed Cayman and Boxster are actually just as good looking if not better looking than the new 911's. Besides the fact that getting into either a new Boxster/Cayman S will put you at Base 911 performance (straight line) with better handling. The new Boxster S put in a sub 8 minute Ring time, and Porsche is supposed to be focusing more on performance with the cayman. Meaning if they put options such as PTV in the new cayman it will be at low 7:50s. Besides the fact that the lines on the cayman are absolutely beautiful (i also have a cayman). The M3 is beautiful, and one of my favorite cars, but these two cars are very, very different cars.
Indeed, the performance options are already available on the configurator.
I'll take mine with PDK, PASM, PTV (which includes the LSD) and Sport chrono, which includes the dynamic transmission mounts.
Add in the Burmester audio package and I'm all set, MSRP right at 80K.
They're quoting 4.4 sec 0-60 time equipped that way, .2 behind a similarly equipped base Carrera.
Appreciate 0