BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
VS... Camaro SS 1LE

Test drove one of these the other day. I was absolutely blown away, went ahead and ordered one and am contemplating selling my m3. I have had mustangs too, even a gt350, the camaro blew it away in my opinion. It's the torque and the manliness of it, also the low seating position. All in all, I was very surprised and impressed and don't think the camaro should be compared to a mustang, being a 911 owner it reminded me more of that than a mustang. Incredibly impressed. Anyone else have any experience with a camaro?

I ordered mine with a sunroof as the test car did not have one. It was very claustrophobic. I would never buy a camaro without a sunroof. Felt like a submarine or cough coffin cough without a sunroof but still all that instant torque, sound, incredible handling, the ELSD, wow. I have never been this excited to drive any car.

I think it also has to do with the price and maintenance. Something about being able to pick up oil and a filter at walmart for 60 bucks and have service done at an honest chevy dealer is a breath a fresh air. VERY VERY impressed. Go order one before they stop making them! May be last year, 2023 is not confirmed as of yet!!
Appreciate 1
MPG_LOL78.00
      10-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Comparing to my m3, my build right now is a 2013 e93 with michelin PS4s and bilstein B6 dampers and a dinan exhaust. e93 is great but the camaro was better. I used to have a couple e92's late model, both ZCP, one DCT and one Manual. Loved them both. Probably the most balanced and easy to drive sports car ever. However, this camaro, man.. something about it. it just woke me up... Loved it... I think it's the torque as our m3s lack that. it did not feel like a boat either, felt balanced, light, ready to rock and roll. Go test drive one, highly recommend the camaro. lower the seat all the way down, you feel like you are in the car vs on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Yes, I almost bout a 2018 SS 1LE; We're going to catch a lot of hate for it but it's an incredible car. As platform, I think we all know by now, it's one of the most capable ever, tuned at the 'ring and is shared w/ the Cadillac ATS. I test drove a manual for several hours. It was an absolute riot. Loved it...only complaints were that the interior was going to take some getting used to; the styling specifically. Also, visibility sucks. It's true what they say, you feel like you're in a tank...can't see shit. Lastly, the auto rev/blip paddles in a manual??? Wish they'd made it a button instead of paddles on the steering wheel.

Overall, the car was predictable, fun, communicative, it had soul, character, everything you could want. Styling of course, is subjective but man, what a car!

I didn't buy because I couldn't get the deal I wanted on a 2SS w/ the rear-side view cameras lol
      10-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow, I am so glad to see your post 94Jedi. Glad to hear I am not alone in my findings. I was sitting here thinking about deleting the post because like you said we are going to catch a lot of hate for this! Ha! I did not drive a manual, test drove an auto, which was great, but I am not an auto fan for a sports car, ha. Can you turn off the auto rev matching? That may get annoying, I was not aware of the paddles for that? Sounds interesting.

You are absolutely right, it had soul, and a lot of it. Fell in love with it.

Visibility did suck, so bad. I found it humorous. I daily a Suburban so I don't really care about the visibility and also I come from riding motorcycles where my head is used to being on a swivel anyway. The lack of space and lack of visibility is definitely for the "right" buyer. I found a sunroof made me feel better, kind of like an escape hatch.

Last thing I will say, a lot of the news out there about cars like in "car and driver" and "motortrend" even youtube stuff like "throttle house" and "top gear" etc. is not always 100% right, after test driving this camaro I have come to believe that reading a car review will not give me the same information I need to make a purchase vs a test drive. I will never buy a car again without a test drive. The camaro is definitely flying under the radar and I bet because a lot of people see it on the lot and think "oh it's just a camaro" but man after driving that thing... insane!!!!!!

Last edited by Headhunter.M3; 10-20-2021 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      10-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Throttle house did a review on the 1le vs an RS3 and M2 Comp. here...

Very good review before driving the camaro I took their word for it. I never drove an M2 competition but they say it's better. I have never driven an M2 comp but I own a 1M and the camaro 1le beats that for me atleast. I can't imagine an m2 is better than a 1M or an e92 m3 but I could be mistaken!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Very popular track car.. that definitely says a lot
      10-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is an article out there on the v6 camaro comparing it to the e46 m3... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Coa2u8yK9K0leL

You can't get the 1LE on the v6 any more otherwise i would check that out too!!! Thanks for sharing, glad to know i am not crazy. Absolutely loved the camaro!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #8
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Have not had the chance to get behind the wheel of the nice 1LE but I certainly don't turn a cheek to certain American cars. Have a Ram 2500 Mega Cab on order for daily. Just sold my 69 Camaro SS with a built 427. I think the only thing that has stopped me from trying a Camaro is the size. But, maybe I should get out my own way and give it a go... Im always looking for the next car and I LOVE the sound of a cammed LS based engine- Yes I know its not an LS but its still an LS in my eye
      10-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Have not had the chance to get behind the wheel of the nice 1LE but I certainly don't turn a cheek to certain American cars. Have a Ram 2500 Mega Cab on order for daily. Just sold my 69 Camaro SS with a built 427. I think the only thing that has stopped me from trying a Camaro is the size. But, maybe I should get out my own way and give it a go... Im always looking for the next car and I LOVE the sound of a cammed LS based engine- Yes I know its not an LS but its still an LS in my eye
Give it a try, I was skeptical of camaros but once I drove it I was very very impressed. Definitely worth the time. The sales guy didnt even say anything the whole test drive because he knew I loved it. Pulled up in my e93 too.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      10-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #10
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

If they had put the LT1 in the ATS-V, I'd probably own one now. I pretty much noped out immediately upon sitting inside the Camaro. I don't enjoy feeling like I'm in an S&M dungeon, so that absolutely killed it for me. The GT350 was much more palatable. Then again, I don't like black leather interiors either, because I feel they are dark and uninteresting. Doesn't matter how good a car drives if I don't like sitting inside it.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
If they had put the LT1 in the ATS-V, I'd probably own one now. I pretty much noped out immediately upon sitting inside the Camaro. I don't enjoy feeling like I'm in an S&M dungeon, so that absolutely killed it for me. The GT350 was much more palatable. Then again, I don't like black leather interiors either, because I feel they are dark and uninteresting. Doesn't matter how good a car drives if I don't like sitting inside it.

I feel you. I was the same way with the camaro felt claustraphobic. Although i think the visibility issue is over blown, there is an issue with visibility but I don't mind it. It's kind of like being mad a steak is not good at a seafood restaurant. Lol. I also am a motorcycle rider so I am used to being hypervigilant while driving. I ordered mine with a sunroof and I am really hoping that fixes the claustraphobic feeling for me. If not then I will probably end up selling it for a new M2 or just give up on life... Lol

I too used to have a gt350. Just did not do anything more for me that an e92 does for me and the e92 is better to drive imho. Camaro was a way better driver as far as feeling connected to the car.

Did you see the new CT5 Blackwing? Expensive but looks pretty incredible. Alpha chassis like the camaro, manual, Higher output ZL1 motor. Etc
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      10-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Tbh I am kind of bummed about BMWs right now. Why don't they go Naturally aspirated? Is it just EPA/mpg stuff? If they would put a high rpm NA inline 6 in an m2 or a v8 in the new m3 it seems like it would be the best car ever? Literally would get over those giant grilles so fast if they had an NA v8 in there. Like literally would be GOAT status. I don't get it. Couldn't they just re-engineer a Ford 5.0 v8 and make it better and rev to 9000 rpm with 550hp and charge me for it? Come on bmw. What happened to ultimate driving machine??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #13
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
I feel you. I was the same way with the camaro felt claustraphobic. Although i think the visibility issue is over blown, there is an issue with visibility but I don't mind it. It's kind of like being mad a steak is not good at a seafood restaurant. Lol. I also am a motorcycle rider so I am used to being hypervigilant while driving. I ordered mine with a sunroof and I am really hoping that fixes the claustraphobic feeling for me. If not then I will probably end up selling it for a new M2 or just give up on life... Lol

I too used to have a gt350. Just did not do anything more for me that an e92 does for me and the e92 is better to drive imho. Camaro was a way better driver as far as feeling connected to the car.

Did you see the new CT5 Blackwing? Expensive but looks pretty incredible. Alpha chassis like the camaro, manual, Higher output ZL1 motor. Etc
I've been trying to go against car enthusiast nature and learn to be happy with what I have. That way I can put money toward other things I like.

Never bought a GT350, just test drove a couple. I actually wasn't a fan of it on a backroad. The chassis was not interest in playing, steering became completely numb when I tried to chuck it about, it was massive on the road and the engine seemed very unflexible (not to mention questionable, the first one smoked heavily). I also thought it felt barely any faster than the E92, despite the 100 hp advantage.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
I've been trying to go against car enthusiast nature and learn to be happy with what I have. That way I can put money toward other things I like.

Never bought a GT350, just test drove a couple. I actually wasn't a fan of it on a backroad. The chassis was not interest in playing, steering became completely numb when I tried to chuck it about, it was massive on the road and the engine seemed very unflexible (not to mention questionable, the first one smoked heavily). I also thought it felt barely any faster than the E92, despite the 100 hp advantage.
Give me some tips on curing the "enthusiast nature" as I too want to be content and enjoy my ride instead of wanting the next best thing, etc.

Totally 100% agree with you on the gt350. Ford needs a new sports car
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #15
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

What kind of motorcycle do you ride? I ride too. Mostly sport and a little dirt but have been introduced to the adventure bike world recently and have had a few epic "adventures" lol. It's really enjoyable.
Attached Images

10-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
That is a sweet picture. Love bmw motorcycles. I ride a suzuki gxr750. Its the only bike i have sat on that really fits me ha. Im sure adventure riding is incredible. Off road? Id be afraid to hit a deer, moose, bear. Its a rush!!
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      10-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Yep lots of on and off road. Agree the BMW 1200 is an incredible machine.. so versatile. A bit of a pig on some of the more technical stuff. Nice! GSXR 750 is a great bike. My sport bike is a 675r. Not the power of a 750 being a triple but lots of fun on the track and twisty roads, it's a little small for me but I'm working on that in fat camp! Lol. Nice work on the Camaro. It's been on my radar too.
      10-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #18
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Oh wow. I have taken so many good drives in the current generation Camaro SS and 1LE! I love them too!

Most recently, I did about 100 miles on my favorite mountain road in a 2019 SS 1LE. (Full write-up here.) The 1LE is a real firecracker, never shutting up, and always wanting to rip and play! Seems like an awesome weekend and track car. I hear that the brakes hold up to the trackwork too.

A few years earlier I took a base SS out to the dry lakes and hit 181 mph with a good tailwind. (Full story here.) It's still my VMAX.
The SS drifted spectacularly on dirt too. (I wasn't on the speedway dirt, don't worry!)

I do have a few worries about the SS. First, with a sunroof my helmet was firmly on the ceiling in the SS. Hopefully you're a little shorter; I'm over 6-feet tall. Second, the exhaust never shuts up. If you ever need to sneak out of your driveway or neighborhood, the SS is not your car! And, the interior material quality is meh even in the 2SS trim. None of these are deal breakers, unless you're really tall and want to do lots of track work.

I hope you love your new car!
      10-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Oh wow. I have taken so many good drives in the current generation Camaro SS and 1LE! I love them too!

Most recently, I did about 100 miles on my favorite mountain road in a 2019 SS 1LE. (Full write-up here.) The 1LE is a real firecracker, never shutting up, and always wanting to rip and play! Seems like an awesome weekend and track car. I hear that the brakes hold up to the trackwork too.

A few years earlier I took a base SS out to the dry lakes and hit 181 mph with a good tailwind. (Full story here.) It's still my VMAX.
The SS drifted spectacularly on dirt too. (I wasn't on the speedway dirt, don't worry!)

I do have a few worries about the SS. First, with a sunroof my helmet was firmly on the ceiling in the SS. Hopefully you're a little shorter; I'm over 6-feet tall. Second, the exhaust never shuts up. If you ever need to sneak out of your driveway or neighborhood, the SS is not your car! And, the interior material quality is meh even in the 2SS trim. None of these are deal breakers, unless you're really tall and want to do lots of track work.

I hope you love your new car!

WOW
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #20
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
My wife won't let me take it to the track anyway after a close call.. I got the need... The need for speed
Appreciate 1
414bhp137.50
      10-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #21
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
Test drove one of these the other day. I was absolutely blown away, went ahead and ordered one and am contemplating selling my m3. I have had mustangs too, even a gt350, the camaro blew it away in my opinion. It's the torque and the manliness of it, also the low seating position. All in all, I was very surprised and impressed and don't think the camaro should be compared to a mustang, being a 911 owner it reminded me more of that than a mustang. Incredibly impressed. Anyone else have any experience with a camaro?

I ordered mine with a sunroof as the test car did not have one. It was very claustrophobic. I would never buy a camaro without a sunroof. Felt like a submarine or cough coffin cough without a sunroof but still all that instant torque, sound, incredible handling, the ELSD, wow. I have never been this excited to drive any car.

I think it also has to do with the price and maintenance. Something about being able to pick up oil and a filter at walmart for 60 bucks and have service done at an honest chevy dealer is a breath a fresh air. VERY VERY impressed. Go order one before they stop making them! May be last year, 2023 is not confirmed as of yet!!
I have had 6 Camaro's, my last was a 18' SS 1LE. Dynamically it is really as good as any current car under $100k. This is not an exaggeration, the car is simply amazing to drive hard. I am older now and need more from a car than just driving dynamics. You said it best, if a sunroof makes it better, then go for it! I simply did not like driving it for that very reason, however mine did not have a sunroof. The E9x are great cars, but their chassis is simply not as good. Prior to my M2cs I had a ESS 625 M3 so I am familiar with the E9x.

10-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #22
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I have had 6 Camaro's, my last was a 18' SS 1LE. Dynamically it is really as good as any current car under $100k. This is not an exaggeration, the car is simply amazing to drive hard. I am older now and need more from a car than just driving dynamics. You said it best, if a sunroof makes it better, then go for it! I simply did not like driving it for that very reason, however mine did not have a sunroof. The E9x are great cars, but their chassis is simply not as good. Prior to my M2cs I had a ESS 625 M3 so I am familiar with the E9x.

How does your m2 CS compare to the 18 ss 1le you had? I have read the m2 CS is incredible. Is yours a manual or dual clutch?
Appreciate 0