BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Doc V.
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 964 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Apparently they also brought the Armco closer to the track at the entrance of the Bus Stop. My instructor noted this--he typically runs over the entire curbing on entry, but flinched a bit when he saw how close those baby blue rails are now...
Look ahead, not at the armco, and the blue bushes will figuratively disappear.

Turn 5A, the entry to the Bus Stop, is a type 2 corner: entry speed is primary. Consequently, brake-turn and trail-brake the car into 5A. 5B, the exit of the Bus Stop, is a type 3 corner: entry speed and the line are compromised in order to maximize exit speed. Use aggressive throttle to exit 5B on the way to 5C, the outer loop.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Fun video - I signed up to go to Watkins Glen with BMW CCA Genesee Valley on September 22 and 23. So far I've only done 1 event (NJMP) and I'll have done one more (again at NJMP) before this one, so I'll be in the novice group. Can't wait! Will I see any of you there? I will definitely watch this video a lot before 9/22.

I will be there ( GVC is my home club).
Will be running in A or A solo.......
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
a bunch of us are actually headed down tomorrow to run Monday and Tuesday. Apparently the track was closed all last week as parts of the track were repaved. Looking forward to seeing the changes!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
arter
collecting toys
Rep

For a somewhat faster video around Watkins Glen ( 1:31) here is a narrated Indy car video around the Full Course ( downshift from 190 mph a little and a tap of the brakes when you go through the bus stop..)

Last edited by arter; 07-28-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #27
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I will be there ( GVC is my home club).
Will be running in A or A solo.......
Great. I will look for you there.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
For a somewhat faster video around Watkins Glen ( 1:31) here is a narrated Indy car video around the Full Course ( downshift from 190 mph a little and a tap of the brakes when you go through the bus stop..)
Come on, now. You didn't mention that it was Danica! She weighs something like 70 lbs less than I do--that's why she can get around the Glen almost a minute faster than I can.

Amazing to hear her say how they're flat on the gas through many of the turns.

Ahhh...Danica. Thanks, Tom. Made my day.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
arter
collecting toys
Rep

That's the biggest reason why advanced drivers are faster than novices around the track, they don't have the weight of the instructor slowing their cars down
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #30
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Are you doing the upshifts or letting the car decide?

I'm interested in the revs. Wondering if that's what the car thinks is optimal.
      07-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Whenever I see vids from the Glen, I always come back to that. Based on several of her comments, I think aerodynamic downforce must be a major factor in their driving. As if they didn't already have enough to think about.
      07-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #32
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Are you doing the upshifts or letting the car decide?

I'm interested in the revs. Wondering if that's what the car thinks is optimal.
I'm in manual mode always, even for street driving. I'm too much of a control freak to let the car shift itself. (So why not a standard manual transmission? I knew this car would see a significant amount of track time. While I can heel-toe, I'm not good enough at it at this point to trust myself to consistently bang off a couple of rifle-shot downshifts coming from 130+mph down to 60mph under threshold braking while approaching turn 1 on a typical road course.)

Anyway, the calibration of the RaceKeeper's interface with my car's ECU via the OBD II port appears to be slightly off. The car's tach indicates that I upshift anywhere from 7500 to about 8200 rpm. The RaceKeeper records these engine speeds as a few hundred rpm less. It's also apparent on the throttle calibration--when I'm flat to the floor, the RaceKeeper records that I'm at 75% throttle. I've spoken to the company about it. It's a known issue that they're evaluating. A hardwire connection straight to the car's ECU would probably be more accurate. At least the car's speed is accurate, because it's coming from the system's roof-mounted GPS antenna.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #33
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Could be a lot tighter on c1 with a lot more speed as you use the curb on exit without upsetting the car at all which allows more speed into C2 which should only be short lift with maybe a little dab of the brakes to help the car turn in with a little less sliding.Once you are going uphill you should be flat until the braking area for the bus stop.I grab 5th gear exiting the last S over the bridge and touch the limiter in 5th at about the 500 brake marker,so I hold the limiter till the 300 marker where I brake.
I have found that I can use 4th gear through the bus stop and make a pile of time up on other people by placing the car completely over the 1st turtle and braking lightly to the 2nd turtle which you use a lot of also,where you start turning the car to the left and balance the car with the throttle till the last turtle where you are already on full throttle into a tighter line in 5 where I use a lift & a little brake to get the car turning to keep a tight line going downhill to the apex.From there to 6 I am at full throttle where I use a tighter line than you do.Going wider there seems to be slower than using the inside on entry.
Corner 7 I keep the car mostly inside the concrete where there is a lot more grip and you can brake quite late there with no problems with getting a great exit.C8 is just a standard apex corner and I touch the limiter in 3rd on the run to C9 which is tighter line to keep you inside the sealer as much as possible.Corner 10 is a 4th gear corner with mild braking and tracking right out to the curbing and swinging out to the left and 3rd for corner 11 to have another fun lap.I love this track
Good tips! I started using 3rd gear on my M3 DCT a lot more this time at WGI and it really does make a difference with higher exit speeds, especially in corner 11.
Appreciate 0