BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

06-10-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
SteNZ
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, E61 M Touring

E92 M3 - Water in Battery Compartment and follow on issues.

Hi Everyone.
To start, I am looking for the best way to replace/refurbish my control unit 61359134708 that is part of the CAS system.
I'm guessing this is needed, here's why;

Last week I began to have starting issues. I had a jump start and the problem seemed to go away. That was until Saturday when I got stranded in Mortdale. The car was acting like it had a flat battery. So I called the NRMA for a new battery. The technician came out. He couldn't get to the retaining clip at the bottom of the battery because the compartment was full of brown water. So he jumped me and I sailed on home (about 12k) intending to get the battery out myself the next day and diagnose the water issue.

The next day, after a lot of effort, I had the battery out. Brown water mark half way up the battery. I fished around until I found the drain plug and let out a good 2-3 litres of brown water. That was when the fun started!

The positive HT lead had been immersed in water (DANGER) at the connection point to the main HT line to the front of the car. So I fiddled with it a bit to check for corrosion and it came off in my hand. It was missing the retaining nut! So how the hell the car had been functioning at all amazed me. So any rate, to cut a long story short.. I cleaned the whole compartment (will need to do again and spray fish oil when I locate the water leak). Cleaned up the blow off lead and fixed it back onto the HT line with a nylock nut.. Car starts perfectly now.

BUT this is where the story started. I now have all manner of comfort access issues. Carly tells me that I have a code 00A103 (speed signal permanent failure A103 / EWS4 CAS bus error). So I'm assuming, unless it is a blown fuse, I have damaged the Control Unit Passive Go, Part n0 61359134708.

So, any help to where I can get the repair/fault diagnosed properly or a new part locally (Sydney Southside) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what exactly is happening ? comfort access not working or ?

get in the boot and close it and get someone to spray water all over outside locate the leak. ive read one source can be gasket behind the taillight failing...but im sure might be few other things to check. good luck mate
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 2009 harrop s/c

I had an issue with the car being dead after a gin bottle smashed in the boot, then it rained when the windows were down trying to dry it out. I worked out that the car kept immobilizing it's self when turned off and I had to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to make it work. I took the car in for the factory recall on the main positive trunk from the battery to the front of the car. Once this was replaced all issues resolved. Not really sure what happened. I told BMW not to bother looking after they suggested the price for them to run diagnostics that I could do at home on Carly. Never had an issue since...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
SteNZ
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, E61 M Touring

Here's where I am up to..
Problem 1:
Keyless Access not working
Keyless Start not working
- These two faults may relate to a grounded wire somewhere between a door mechanism and the module in the rear trunk. If there is no wiring issue, then it may be the module itself. The module name is Passive Go Control unit # 61359134708. I am going to start by checking the wiring. I will do this myself as I am yet to find anyone around that will tackle the job with some authority. BMW quoted $275 per hour. At least I can diagnose whether it is a short in the wiring. If that doesn't work then I haven't lost anything and back to square one.
Problem 2:
Passenger side exterior mirror won't tilt in reverse.
The motor is fine. The FRM module won't let me do any coding as it has a serious error (Carly readout). I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this one. Leave for the moment.
Problem 3:
Fault in Junction Box passenger module code : 00A6D1 Additional water pump.
From what I've read. This may be just a replacement of the AUX water pump. Should be an easy fix.. Will tackle this when I get to it.
Soo.. The first thing on the agenda is tracing the fault in the CAS system.. I'll have a crack at that first..
Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Paxton_M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Did you ever get this sorted out? I am having very similar issues (comfort access not working, passenger mirror not tilting in reverse, as well as passenger door not locking) with the same code 00A103. Having difficulty finding a clear cause though.
Appreciate 0