BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #23
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Is it possible that your impression is only relevant to the CS? I drove an M4 comp/M2 on the track (during an M track day) and an M2 comp on the road. I never noticed what I'm guessing you're describing as turbo lag. At least not to the degree you're mentioning it. I distinctly remember moderately accelerating in the M4 comp out onto the track and how immediately obvious it was that it had much more torque much lower than my e92. When I drove the M2c on the road, I came to much of the same conclusion.

Now what did remind me of what you're describing was the S58 in the x3M I drove. That thing didn't feel like it moved until over 4k rpms. That reminded me a lot of the S65 and something I didn't really like in a modern turbo car.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what I am saying is that people experience things in different ways depending on both where and how a vehicle is driven.
He is right about the lag if you're up in 6th or 7th and just give it gas without downshifting.

It also depends what mode you have the car in as the F8x only uses anti-lag techniques in sport and sport+. So if he is cruising down the highway in comfort he's going to have a vastly different experience than you punching it in sport/sport+.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
He is right about the lag if you're up in 6th or 7th and just give it gas without downshifting.

It also depends what mode you have the car in as the F8x only uses anti-lag techniques in sport and sport+. So if he is cruising down the highway in comfort he's going to have a vastly different experience than you punching it in sport/sport+.
I'm never in comfort throttle, either sport or sport+
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #25
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm never in comfort throttle, either sport or sport+
I always used to rock Comfort steering, sport+ throttle, sport suspension. I was 6MT tho.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      05-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I always used to rock Comfort steering, sport+ throttle, sport suspension. I was 6MT tho.
Exactly! I have my M1 set up like that with m mode dsc. Then M2 has no dsc for track use
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Totally agree with SYT's assessment. The E9xM represents a bit of an offramp from the power and acceleration arms race, an arms race I blame on the GTR and the C63 that launched alongside the E9xM. E9xM is the last of a different kind of small fast four-place car. The C63 was Fat Man - a 450whp/tq car with just a couple mods and not even turbocharged...then came Little Boy GTR showing its heels to almost everything on sale at any price, for $80k, with AWD, DCT, and turbos.

Then proliferation started, with hot-vee turbo V8's in ALL THE THINGS and now we are talking about AWD on a the next M3 just to keep it from being a merry go round in the rain. AMG god bless em haven't gone to AWD yet with the C63, but you can bet it's coming, if they even do another one.

You don't have to have your own nuclear weapons in your garage though. You can still choose de-escalation and live a peaceful, fulfilling life of enjoyment without the needless cost and stress of mutually assured destruction in track and stoplight lethality, or you can just say "YOLO SEND ME ALL THE HORSEPOWERS" and enjoy the chase. The F80 is still a great car and you'll have fun.

Personally, if I were considering an F80, I'd wate for the G80. The S58 is bananapants.

Last edited by Richbot; 05-27-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
W///7485.00
      05-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #28
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybui82 View Post
I know this topic has been talked about over and over again but I'm still torn after reading the forum and watching all these YouTube videos.

I have a 2013 zcp e92 m3 with 29k miles.

A local dealership just took in a 2016 f80 m3 with only 28k miles. Nicely equipped.

Pros and cons? I hear stories about people coming back.

Lead me to the light!!

I owned an F80 for 2 years. White/Sakhir orange interior, 19" wheels, the car looked amazing and I tried very hard to like it. I defended it and justified it for too long but eventually I sold it for my current E90 IB ZCP as the F80 never grew on me. I just lacks depth and a certain connection to it. I had 305 ad08r tires, 500 wheel HP, titanium exhaust (comp pack) and no matter what I did the car always felt numb.

It was a waste of time, the car was inherently flawed in my opinion as I don't care about magazine racing, I want a car that feels good and has soul.

Objectively the F80 has a way better collection of go fast parts on it, there is no doubt about that but none of it worked together well.

I've never driven an F80 CS so I don't want to go too far in my statement, but the other versions of the F80 I've driven all lacked the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #29
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

I feel that F80 lacks the depth of character that E9x generation M3 had. This, I believe is a problem that's no just limited to current M3/4 but with most modern turbocharged cars these days..
Add turbo and induction/exhaust sound becomes blah!
Adding turbo adds power which then needs wider tires & stiffer suspension which feels fine on the track but makes the car stuff & numb on the road... combined with electric power steering!
It's a result of stringent emission laws!!
German manufacturers are more affected because they don't per se make "economy" cars, unlike American autos - Chevy has Cruze & other fuel efficient 4 bangers which help achieve required "fleet emission" targets and allows GM to make/sell big NA V8s (i.e Corvette).
In my opinion, going from analogue to electric, cars will progressively become more numb...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #30
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Dang, long time no see dude. You ever replace the M's with anything?

Regarding trading the E9x, the only car I'd consider would be the M2C. That car is good fun, and even then I think it would only be to add. Th E9x M3 still ticks way too many boxes for me.
Whats up buddy! Long time.

A few short stints with other vehicles.

I still have never owned and been as happy with a performance car as I was with my 08 E90 6MT. Im searching to replace it with a like vehicle and hoping I have not built it up too much in my head.

Unfortunately it seems like every car that goes up for sale these days has a story or is DCT.

Once I get something well have to put together a mountain run.
Appreciate 0