BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #67
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Made it 400 miles home on pads with 3mm of meat... Lots of engine braking! Time to order more and some extras.
      03-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #68
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Made it 400 miles home on pads with 3mm of meat... Lots of engine braking! Time to order more and some extras.
3mm is a lot of pad on the street. Notsomuch on turn 2 or 11 at Laguna...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #69
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Quote:
3mm is a lot of pad on the street. Notsomuch on turn 2 or 11 at Laguna...
Didn't sound like a healthy amount when I came to a stop... Probably the pad sensors grinding.
      03-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #70
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't sound like a healthy amount when I came to a stop... Probably the pad sensors grinding.
No doubt! I should have stated "for the drive home" (unless you're redpriest, of course, b/c he drives to the ends of the earth to do a track day...so full pads for him for the drive home ).

Speaking of driving to the ends of the earth for a track day, who is coming to spring mountain April 22-23? Speed Ventures running the show.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #71
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
No doubt! I should have stated "for the drive home" (unless you're redpriest, of course, b/c he drives to the ends of the earth to do a track day...so full pads for him for the drive home ).

Speaking of driving to the ends of the earth for a track day, who is coming to spring mountain April 22-23? Speed Ventures running the show.
Haha, I was just about to mention I was thinking of doing this It's about the same distance to Chuckwalla for me!
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #72
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Nitto NT01
lol thought they were maxxis rc1
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #73
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Speaking of driving to the ends of the earth
Die welt ist flach?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #74
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

well, i got a few vids processed. sound sucks because i swapped the stock boat anchor of a muffler back on. i just left the external mic near the camera on my headrest mount. video came out shaky and i think its because i need to mount it to the seat i'm sitting in, rather than the empty seat. i think a body in the seat cuts down on vibration.

this was my first time to the track, so i made a lot of mistakes, but still managed a 1:46:1xx with mdm on. i'm on camber plates and nt01's with essex ap brakes up front. ds2500 pads front and rear as well. any tips for turn 7? i was trying to figure it out all day... lots of grip down low, but car felt a bit unsettled when it slammed down for the apex. felt a little bit faster a few feet above the apex with easy throttle.

skip to 3:35 for the start of the run.
      03-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #75
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
well, i got a few vids processed. sound sucks because i swapped the stock boat anchor of a muffler back on. i just left the external mic near the camera on my headrest mount. video came out shaky and i think its because i need to mount it to the seat i'm sitting in, rather than the empty seat. i think a body in the seat cuts down on vibration.

this was my first time to the track, so i made a lot of mistakes, but still managed a 1:46:1xx with mdm on. i'm on camber plates and nt01's with essex ap brakes up front. ds2500 pads front and rear as well. any tips for turn 7? i was trying to figure it out all day... lots of grip down low, but car felt a bit unsettled when it slammed down for the apex. felt a little bit faster a few feet above the apex with easy throttle.

skip to 3:35 for the start of the run.
I think my eyes are still bouncing around in my head after watching your video, hehe.

By turn 7 do you mean turn 6, because 7 is the kink right before the corkscrew 8. I pretty much slam into that divot at turn 6 at around 70 mph. I could probably go a little faster through there but I'm afraid of going off on that right edge there into that dirt.

For 7, I've tried a few lines through there, but I like having my two wheels almost off on the left side of that rumble strip there. I've seen a couple dudes use that, so I said why not, and tried it. Doesn't seem to hurt, and makes it almost a straight shot through there before the corkscrew.

For the corkscrew, I notice you cut across almost immediately after the first turn, which is interesting to me, since I haven't tried that before. I go further down before I cut over. I should try this next time! I wish I had thought to try more lines than just try pressing the same one I've been doing.

It's always great to see how different people tackle the same course. Check out Andrie's video, he's the fastest local guy I know at this track:

instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #76
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

you're right, i'm talking about turn 6. i sort of 'ignored' turn 7 at laguna kinda like we 'ignore' turn 7 at big willow... but i did do some experimenting with that turn 7 right before the corkscrew. i tried the line way to the left to be straighter in the braking zone for the corkscrew, but i also tried a line to the right (probably stuck to the right more). i wasn't having any trouble with the car getting unsettled there, so i didn't stick to a particular technique. i suppose this would be more important if i were going faster there.

i was happy with that line i was taking through the corkscrew, so i didn't experiment too much unless i made a mistake in the braking zone. hehe what i knew i did like, however, was this line allowing me to get to the right side of the track for turn 9, and i had some fast exits out of 9 because of it. i knew it was faster right away when trying a new line through 9 because i would either be at the top of 3rd gear, or about two seconds into 4th gear.

the deeper down in 6 i went, it seemed like the more speed i could carry, but i was worried that this was an illusion, and i would be off in the dirt to the right once the suspension rebounded. i didn't do too much experimenting there. i've been off there and into the wall in gran turismo many times. hahahaha! a little higher and light throttle felt right. i'm not setting any lap records or anything, so i was trying to keep the car in one piece for the 400 mile trip home the next day.
      03-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #77
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Die welt ist flach?
I'm old school religious. Anyone who believes anything else is an infidel and I will make you confess your sins.

No one expects the Bavarian Inquisition!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #78
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
you're right, i'm talking about turn 6. i sort of 'ignored' turn 7 at laguna kinda like we 'ignore' turn 7 at big willow... but i did do some experimenting with that turn 7 right before the corkscrew. i tried the line way to the left to be straighter in the braking zone for the corkscrew, but i also tried a line to the right (probably stuck to the right more). i wasn't having any trouble with the car getting unsettled there, so i didn't stick to a particular technique. i suppose this would be more important if i were going faster there.

i was happy with that line i was taking through the corkscrew, so i didn't experiment too much unless i made a mistake in the braking zone. hehe what i knew i did like, however, was this line allowing me to get to the right side of the track for turn 9, and i had some fast exits out of 9 because of it. i knew it was faster right away when trying a new line through 9 because i would either be at the top of 3rd gear, or about two seconds into 4th gear.

the deeper down in 6 i went, it seemed like the more speed i could carry, but i was worried that this was an illusion, and i would be off in the dirt to the right once the suspension rebounded. i didn't do too much experimenting there. i've been off there and into the wall in gran turismo many times. hahahaha! a little higher and light throttle felt right. i'm not setting any lap records or anything, so i was trying to keep the car in one piece for the 400 mile trip home the next day.
looks like you had a blast!
      03-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #79
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:

looks like you had a blast!
So much damn fun. I'm really glad I paid for two run groups... Every time I turned around, it was my turn to go again!
We are going to have to plan a SoCal caravan up there.
      03-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #80
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
For the corkscrew, I notice you cut across almost immediately after the first turn, which is interesting to me, since I haven't tried that before.
this second vid was later in the day when i was more comfortable and putting down consistent times [1:46's and 1:47's] (not the fastest, but got in a rhythm). if you look closely in the first few laps, i loosen my grip on the steering wheel enough to let it straighten its self out quickly, then i take hold once again and direct it to the right to complete the turn.
after doing this for a little bit, i decided it wasn't the greatest idea to almost give up control and went back to a full grip. i think i went back and forth on this. i kept doing this line because it felt smooth and it felt like what the car "wanted" to do. i could also be completely wrong.

03-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #81
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Here's a vid I put together from Saturday. Failed to put together a good lap both circumstances and driver error. Matter of fact had tons of driver errors that day.

03-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #82
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Here's a vid I put together from Saturday. Failed to put together a good lap both circumstances and driver error. Matter of fact had tons of driver errors that day.

sick video that lambo was kicking dust back at you haha
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #83
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

Quote:
this second vid was later in the day when i was more comfortable and putting down consistent times [1:46's and 1:47's] (not the fastest, but got in a rhythm). if you look closely in the first few laps, i loosen my grip on the steering wheel enough to let it straighten its self out quickly, then i take hold once again and direct it to the right to complete the turn.
after doing this for a little bit, i decided it wasn't the greatest idea to almost give up control and went back to a full grip. i think i went back and forth on this. i kept doing this line because it felt smooth and it felt like what the car "wanted" to do. i could also be completely wrong.

nice driving my goal was to get into the 1:47-1:49's but wasn't comfortable with my brakes causing some crazy steering wheel vibrations caused by rotors/brake pads. Also didn't help i got black flag for sound in the 3rd session so i had to shift early and couldn't floor it up the hill haha.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #84
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Speaking of brakes I just bought some pads. Anyone try the ferodo dsuno's? Picked up a set and another set of ds2500's for the street.
      03-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #85
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Nice! I've got some Carbotech XP10s in my BBK now, they bite surprisingly well cold on street for aggressive high temp track pads.

I'm assuming it's the sheer surface area that's the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #86
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpm3
Quote:

sick video that lambo was kicking dust back at you haha
Bat Lambo was nuts. Apparently a 13 year old?!?!
      03-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #87
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Quote:
Thanks. Speaking of brakes I just bought some pads. Anyone try the ferodo dsuno's? Picked up a set and another set of ds2500's for the street.
I used the DSUNOs with my Essex AP kit. I liked them. Very strong bite. Reminded me of PFC01s. I like the DS1.11s slightly better. They still have plenty of bite but are more rotor friendly. I also use the 2500s for the street.
      03-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #88
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Quote:
Bat Lambo was nuts. Apparently a 13 year old?!?!
Hopping in from the F8X forums to shed some insight; there is also not as much activity in the track subsection over there..
I spoke to the kid and his father who own that lambo and he was telling me that his 12 year old son did a 1:50 that day. Honestly, I'm very hesitant to believe that. IIRC I saw the lambo in 2 different run groups (intermediate and beginner) and I think that the 12 year old was driving in the intermediate group and someone else in the advanced. If what the father said is true that is unbelievable and he is one lucky and extremely talented kid! Actually, regardless if he drove the 1:50 lap being 12 years old and driving a lamborghini race car makes him already a lucky kid haha.
Appreciate 0