BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #45
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilthegreat View Post
2 different things you asked here and reading the first page of answers, I want to chime in.

1) you can make a claim through insurance. But if they do decide to make it a collision claim (instead of a comp claim), what would you do? You would need to see whether or not it would be considered collision or comprehensive.

2) since you want to do bearings, obviously the oil pan has to come off. Grab an oil pan off of eBay (read the listing and look at photos to make sure it's good). They should go for around $600 (as compared to the $15xx I saw somewhere. Also, the oil pan is aluminum, so I don't know if you can really fix it. You probably can, it might just be worth buying a used one.

3) let's talk about bearings
BMW did change the bearings, but it doesn't resolve the issue. BE would be your best bet for bearings, but I believe they're on back order. When I did my bearings, I went with the WPC coated ones (aka VAC). I have a friend with an E92 M3 that went King Bearings. I also have a friend with an E46 M3 that went ACL bearings. Honestly, it shouldn't really matter which bearings you go with - they're a wear item regardless, and they need to be seen as a maintenance item. They should be replaced every 80-100k anyways in my opinion.

4) With the labor, just take the car to an independent shop (not dealer) to get the bearings done. They shouldn't charge you labor to swap the pan if you bring them a new (or new to you) one. With doing bearings, the pan has to come off and new hardware and the same old pan has to be put on anyways. So there's no difference in labor.
1-In my case the road was deformed enough to hit my cars oil pan. Under no circumstances would this be a collision as there was no other party to declare this a collision but I'm not a lawyer nor work for the DMV. And I'll be honest.....Mercury didn't bat an eye at anything but I supplied pictures as well as a thorough description of the event.
2-If you pay your deductible as I had to.....why would you buy a more expensive used oil pan instead of letting insurance buy it as well as the labor. Then talk to your dealer before work begins to have the other work (RB's) billed to you at a much reduced rate.
3-Use whatever bearing you want. Said it already and I'll say it again....when a company does a comparison of some sorts with equal driving/oil changes/distance I'll listen and make a personal preference.
4-Nothing I would consider under these particular circumstances. When I did RB's the first time at EAS the price was higher than my reduced labor from a dealer and I get their warranty which I imagine eclipses the EAS warranty.

FYI-I have asked the LA Counties Caltrans division to fix this and supplied pictures. No correspondence back, so if anyone would like to hit their oil pan and make an insurance claim to get RB's.....just drive the Old Road next to the 5 & 14 north bound split in the left lane and kick a goal. the city apparently doesn't see this as a problem lol. So if there were to be a bunch of claims for damage caused to high end BMW's there they couldn't say they didn't know, my heart would pump piss for the county and I wouldn't miss those $.07 out of my state taxes.
      10-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #46
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
3-Use whatever bearing you want. Said it already and I'll say it again....when a company does a comparison of some sorts with equal driving/oil changes/distance I'll listen and make a personal preference.
It is not really the brand or quality that is the issue. It is the clearance. I agree that there is no statistically significant data from the S65 that definitively shows that proper clearance makes a difference. That said, Clevite/King/ACL/Glyco etc. all recommend the same thing: 0.001"/" of bearing clearance for high performance engines.

To me, this is like a bunch of ER doctors saying that it is bad to get stabbed in the liver. I do not need to prove it for myself - I will accept the wisdom of the subject matter experts.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #47
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
It is not really the brand or quality that is the issue. It is the clearance. I agree that there is no statistically significant data from the S65 that definitively shows that proper clearance makes a difference. That said, Clevite/King/ACL/Glyco etc. all recommend the same thing: 0.001"/" of bearing clearance for high performance engines.

To me, this is like a bunch of ER doctors saying that it is bad to get stabbed in the liver. I do not need to prove it for myself - I will accept the wisdom of the subject matter experts.

Cheers,
Yeah that's why my opinion is "just do them" and be less concerned about which RB's they are. I pretty much will do these as a service item and use WPC, OEM or whatever is available by whomever I trust. These folks who say BE over WPC or OEM or vise versa are really splitting hairs and misleading our noobs that join the S65 club.
      10-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #48
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Yeah that's why my opinion is "just do them" and be less concerned about who RB's they are. I pretty much will do these as a service item and use WPC, OEM or whatever is available by whomever I trust. These folks who say BE over WPC or OEM or vise versa are really splitting hairs and misleading our noobs that join the S65 club.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #49
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

OP check out this thread below, it will explain why people change OEM bearings and do not put them back in

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...253084&page=85
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #50
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Yeah that's why my opinion is "just do them" and be less concerned about who RB's they are. I pretty much will do these as a service item and use WPC, OEM or whatever is available by whomever I trust. These folks who say BE over WPC or OEM or vise versa are really splitting hairs and misleading our noobs that join the S65 club.
When you say “just change them”......why do you need to change OEM bearings?

Serious question.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 03:31 AM   #51
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Quote:
When you say “just change them”......why do you need to change OEM bearings?

Serious question.
I'm not the creator