BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

08-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
ditto on Ohio. The state troopers are really aggressive in their enforcement, I've been pulled over 5 times between ages 16-23, all by state troopers, interestingly only 3 resulted in tickets that added points (paid for 4 + 1 driving class).
3 tickets is a bit much, dont you think? I'm deathly afraid of what the 1 ticket and two not-at-fault deer accidents will do to my insurance quote, when I get into an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Road pirates carry a badge. Most speed limits make no sense. This bad state of affairs is due first to ridiculously easy driving license test standards (too many incompetent people are given the privilege) and secondly poor roads routing practice and signalization choices when roads were built (and still are). The whole system is antiquated ( compared to germany for example). The accepted practice is for the informed driver to fight back nonsense laws with lies and send some money to the usual scavengers (lawyers). Probably still a better system than 2/3 of the world but already some form of corruption.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can't seem to follow the speed limit anymore. Posted limits are too slow now.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #26
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
I can't seem to follow the speed limit anymore. Posted limits are too slow now.
+1.

Living in MD and driving through VA a lot, I know how bad the State Troopers are there. Couple years ago driving to Charlotte for a Ravens game, I was pulled over around 3am doing 73 in a 55. Luckily he was really cool and talked to us about what we were doing and let me off with a verbal warning. Was completely shocked he let us go
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #27
IfIWerem3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: aimlessly around

heres what I have been told by a couple veteran travelers who travel through states and received a speeding ticket. make sure u ask them to mail u the bill. do not pay over phone or online. when u get the bill pay it 5 dollars over. when they send you a check back for the remaining balance, don't cash it. throw it away. by doing this the account never gets closed because its in pending status until the check is cashed. if the account can't close then your insurance should not be notified. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Here's a legal perspective on the issue: http://m.carinsurance.com/kb/content26407.aspx

In the past, many out of state speeding tickets/moving violations "did not transfer" to your home state. However more and more this is becoming a reality (thanks Government overlords!). If VA offers a "no points" course (sorry Longwong, not all states do), I suggest you take it and pay the fine. The courses eliminate the points so there will be no hit to your premiums.

Sunsweet is right too, road pirates do carry badges (and very little else, such as say... Relevant/correct legal information) so take anything a cop tells you with a HUGE grain of salt
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Sorry to hear OP. I hear VA is the worst state to get a speeding ticket. I've gotten tickets in CA, MI, OH, PA, NY while having a NJ license. Some transferred over as "out of state speeding violations - 2 pts." and others didn't. Best to take care of it with a local attorney. Hope it all works out.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #30
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
I also posted this in the Mid-Atlantic regional forum as well, not trying to break any forum guidlines or anything but I'm in a jam and I need some help please. Any help will be appreciated and if you know anything please say something. Thanks!

I'm from Philadelphia, PA and I was on a trip down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, I was cruising thru Virginia when I got nailed by a Highway Cop with a Laser doing 73 in a 55 zone!!! Messed up pretty bad with this and can not afford the POINTS!! Where I'm from and some of the other places I've lived 99% of the time if you fight it, you usually end up paying a fine and they drop the points, is this the case in Virginia as well??

Also the Citation didn't have a fine amount and I'm clueless on what's gonna happen or how I should go about this. I never got a ticket in a state I didn't live in and this is my first moving violation in almost 10 years. ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated. Please help!!!!

Also the cop was a veteran cop and wasn't letting me slide or even helping with giving me a few MPH's less on the citation, I understand he has a job to do but damn. Anyway he gave me a number and said I can call and see if I can take a course, even perhaps online, and he said they may wave the points and I might just pay a fine plus costs. Is this true? He also said that anything over the speed limit is a 4 point ticket in VA? Is this also true, they don't mess around. Anyway HELP ME PLEASE. Thanks guys
As my signature says,I'm a traffic lawyer in NC,and have clients who get Va tickets.I wouldn't be able to handle it myself out of state, but PM me your phone # and I can give you some friendly advice and tell you how it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIWerem3 View Post
heres what I have been told by a couple veteran travelers who travel through states and received a speeding ticket. make sure u ask them to mail u the bill. do not pay over phone or online. when u get the bill pay it 5 dollars over. when they send you a check back for the remaining balance, don't cash it. throw it away. by doing this the account never gets closed because its in pending status until the check is cashed. if the account can't close then your insurance should not be notified. good luck.
I had a friend from Michigan do this, it went on for about 5 years and then the state sent him a letter saying his License would be suspended if the issue was not resolved?? And this was back in 2002. Trust me this idea already crossed my mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
As my signature says,I'm a traffic lawyer in NC,and have clients who get Va tickets.I wouldn't be able to handle it myself out of state, but PM me your phone # and I can give you some friendly advice and tell you how it works.
Thank you. I'll PM you
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #33
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Speeding Ticket.........Please do not move this post

I would appreciate it if the moderator wouldn't move this post to the mid atlantic forum because I am hoping to reach more members this way. Please don't move it. I'm in a jam and need help, just need the post up for a few days thats all. Thanks.
I also posted this in the Mid-Atlantic regional forum as well, not trying to break any forum guidlines or anything but I'm in a jam and I need some help please. Any help will be appreciated and if you know anything please say something. Thanks!

I'm from Philadelphia, PA and I was on a trip down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, I was cruising thru Virginia when I got nailed by a Highway Cop with a Laser doing 73 in a 55 zone!!! Messed up pretty bad with this and can not afford the POINTS!! Where I'm from and some of the other places I've lived 99% of the time if you fight it, you usually end up paying a fine and they drop the points, is this the case in Virginia as well??

Also the Citation didn't have a fine amount and I'm clueless on what's gonna happen or how I should go about this. I never got a ticket in a state I didn't live in and this is my first moving violation in almost 10 years. ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated. Please help!!!!

Also the cop was a veteran cop and wasn't letting me slide or even helping with giving me a few MPH's less on the citation, I understand he has a job to do but damn. Anyway he gave me a number and said I can call and see if I can take a course, even perhaps online, and he said they may wave the points and I might just pay a fine plus costs. Is this true? He also said that anything over the speed limit is a 4 point ticket in VA? Is this also true, they don't mess around. Anyway HELP ME PLEASE. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Why beg for help here when you can just call a lawyer in the county you got the ticket in and talk to them? They give free consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Why beg for help here when you can just call a lawyer in the county you got the ticket in and talk to them? They give free consultations.
I would rather have someone with personal experience and information to help me out than someone who only wants my money and me to hire them. So thats why
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

Could you plead nolo? No points, just a fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #37
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would just plead YOLO instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
Could you plead nolo? No points, just a fine.
What is NOLO? like no contest? I'm hoping I can just show up, pay a fine, get no points and be on my way?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #39
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
What is NOLO? like no contest? I'm hoping I can just show up, pay a fine, get no points and be on my way?
http://www.nolocontendere.org/

You can usually only use it once every 5 years or something like that. I'm not an attorney so I don't know the details. I HAVE used it once before. No points, only the fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
I wouldn't worry too much about it... easier said than done but
there is a chance that your ticket will never make it up north!

Search online, you will find tons of info.
I got a speeding ticket in VA (going 78 in a 55 zone, which it was a
divided hwy, BTW). So I went ahead and paid the ticket.
As I said, mine, at least, never showed up in my state records and
consequently my insurance rate remained the same and no points!

Just my two cents and experience. Good luck!

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
Mik3
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

No tickets in 10 years and you get one for less than 20 over the limit. Lots of good advice so far in this thread, why are you freaking out and why can you "...not afford the points" if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #42
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it... easier said than done but
there is a chance that your ticket will never make it up north!

Search online, you will find tons of info.
I got a speeding ticket in VA (going 78 in a 55 zone, which it was a
divided hwy, BTW). So I went ahead and paid the ticket.
As I said, mine, at least, never showed up in my state records and
consequently my insurance rate remained the same and no points!

Just my two cents and experience. Good luck!
Thanks man, Only thing I'm concerned about is the points really. But I believe most states are reciprocating states now and the other issue is in some states a charge is a lesser offense than in others so I could get boned potentially. Trying to find the best and safest way to handle it. Appreciate the help bro
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
McKenna Performance
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
I would just plead YOLO instead.

It's #YOLO

Good luck with the ticket though. Not sure how out of state tickets work as I've been lucky enough to keep all my tickets within the state of CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #44
beatboxa
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Jerez Black

I don't want to offer any legal advice (I'm not qualified), but as an anecdote, I believe that in Georgia, anything 14 mph or less over does not accrue any points. I read before that for out of state tickets, there are a bunch of states who have inter-state agreements (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact). I believe that out of state tickets are tried out of state, with the outcome potentially being reported back to your state--so I think you would go by PA points system. Again, just want to stress these are my opinions only, but you should read up (ie. http://www.dmv.org/articles/dealing-...raffic-tickets) and/or consult a lawyer if you need to.

My opinion has always been to negotiate with the prosecutor if I feel I wasn't going that far over in to ensure any tickets result in less than 15 mph over (consistent with how I drive). I've seen that sometimes prosecutors are willing to negotiate so that you end up somehow punished without having to burden the legal system with a trial. For example, I would think that someone could offer to take a defensive driving course, and pay the same fine if you agree to plea guilty to a lower speed (whatever speed you believe you were actually traveling).
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread