BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Need help. Car makes a tap noise when turn or hit gas at stop light

Hey everyone,

I have a 2011 E92 m3, around 35K and it has Ohlins R/T coilover installed around 12/25/2015. (I don't know if it's a coilover related problem but just trying to provide more information here).

So the problem is my car is making a tap noise(It's not constant, usually one tap or two) when I turn the steering wheel, and it also happens when I release the brake and hit the gas at a stop light. I think it happens more often when the car just started.

It started happening one month ago, which is several days after I put my 220m wheels with snow tires on. (When I install the Ohlins, the car had the summer setup on, VFF103 with 265/30 and 295/30 PSS. My snow setup is 220M with LM60 255/35 and 275/35)

Anyone has experience this before?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ///M Kidding; 03-09-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a 2011 E92 m3, around 35K and it has Ohlins R/T coilover installed around 12/25/2015. (I don't know if it's a coilover related problem but just trying to provide more information here).

So the problem is my car is making a tap noise(It's not constant, usually one tap or two) when I turn the steering wheel, and it also happens when I release the brake and hit the gas at a stop light. I think it happens more often when the car just started.

It started happening one month ago, which is several days after I put my 220m wheels with snow tires on. (When I install the Ohlins, the car had the summer setup on, VFF103 with 265/30 and 295/30 PSS. My snow setup is 220M with LM60 255/35 and 275/35)

Anyone has experience this before?

Thanks in advance.
Did you install the coilovers? I just recently installed BC coilovers on my car a few months ago and recently started getting some tap or pop noises from my suspension on take off or at slow speeds in parking lots while turning when either hitting the brakes or accelerator...

I went back and checked all of my nuts and bolts to make sure they were all tight and found that several were not tight enough... I tightened end links, pillow ball, and strut tower nuts that I felt were not tight enough and all of that noise vanished...

Just a suggestion... I really thought that I had double checked everything during the install but I still think its a good idea to go back and double check suspension nuts and bolts after the car has been driven about 1000 miles on new coilovers... I was surprised to find a few nuts were not quite tight enough...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Did you install the coilovers? I just recently installed BC coilovers on my car a few months ago and recently started getting some tap or pop noises from my suspension on take off or at slow speeds in parking lots while turning when either hitting the brakes or accelerator...

I went back and checked all of my nuts and bolts to make sure they were all tight and found that several were not tight enough... I tightened end links, pillow ball, and strut tower nuts that I felt were not tight enough and all of that noise vanished...

Just a suggestion... I really thought that I had double checked everything during the install but I still think its a good idea to go back and double check suspension nuts and bolts after the car has been driven about 1000 miles on new coilovers... I was surprised to find a few nuts were not quite tight enough...
I took my car to a shop for installation. I'm bringing the car to the shop to check on the suspension, I will let them know your suggestion, thanks man!
      03-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I took my car to a shop for installation. I'm bringing the car to the shop to check on the suspension, I will let them know your suggestion, thanks man!
Just know that some noises just aren't going to go away with any aftermarket coilovers, no matter how good the quality of the suspension is... Specifically the creaking and squeaky noises from the front spring perches... It's fairly common on most coilover sets after they have some miles on them... But you should not be hearing popping or tapping...

Good luck and give us an update on what the shop says!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x
Quote:
Just know that some noises just aren't going to go away with any aftermarket coilovers, no matter how good the quality of the suspension is... Specifically the creaking and squeaky noises from the front spring perches... It's fairly common on most coilover sets after they have some miles on them... But you should not be hearing popping or tapping...

Good luck and give us an update on what the shop says!
Sure, I will keep the thread updated. I bought the Ohlins brand new, I was hoping it doesn't give me any noises. Thanks again for the help!
      03-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe a swaybar endlink is bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
Maybe a swaybar endlink is bad.
I'm not sure, I will keep the thread going when my shop figures out the problem.
      03-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: I just picked up my car from the shop, they said they checked everything that's possible to make the noise but didn't find anything. They also check the nuts and bolts, and they were all tight.

I was told it might be the front springs that are making this noise. As long as there's no damage or anything, I guess I will have to live with it.
      03-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #9
triplej
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Sedan with DCT

think I have the same issue. A clunk / tap you feel thru the steering wheel when you gas it from standstill and a clunk / tap when I turn left at low speed.

edit: standard suspension. similar issues on my 911 were the sway bar ends as suggested by pbonslab

Last edited by triplej; 03-20-2016 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej
think I have the same issue. A clunk / tap you feel thru the steering wheel when you gas it from standstill and a clunk / tap when I turn left at low speed.

edit: standard suspension. similar issues on my 911 were the sway bar ends as suggested by pbonslab
Did you fix the noise?
      03-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you fix the noise?
I have no regrets in making the switch to coilovers, even though it comes with a few side effects... My guess is also probably the sway bar end links... I don't remember what I torqued mine too, but they were pretty damn tight... I have no noise on the BC's, except squeaky bushings on the shocks and struts... Certainly noticeable in parking lots when the pavement is very uneven; otherwise silent...

It may just be something you will have to live with...

Chassis performance is well worth a few minor noises...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
triplej
Rep

Quote:
Did you fix the noise?
Not yet, only just bought the car. Taking it back to the dealer but I suspect they'll tell me I'm dreaming.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
I have no regrets in making the switch to coilovers, even though it comes with a few side effects... My guess is also probably the sway bar end links... I don't remember what I torqued mine too, but they were pretty damn tight... I have no noise on the BC's, except squeaky bushings on the shocks and struts... Certainly noticeable in parking lots when the pavement is very uneven; otherwise silent...

It may just be something you will have to live with...

Chassis performance is well worth a few minor noises...
Yeah, i guess its a tradeoff.
      03-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej View Post
Not yet, only just bought the car. Taking it back to the dealer but I suspect they'll tell me I'm dreaming.
Could you please let me know if they find anything? But dealer technicians usually go "oh I didnt hear anything..."
      03-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
triplej
Rep

Seems to be worse when its cold so by the time I got to the dealership they couldn't hear anything. After an inspection they decided to replace the sway bar ends. Waiting on parts so Ill let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #16
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems to be worse when its cold so by the time I got to the dealership they couldn't hear anything. After an inspection they decided to replace the sway bar ends. Waiting on parts so Ill let you know what happens.
Sure, thanks. I think mine is worse when it's cold too.
      04-13-2016, 01:20 AM   #17
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, do you mind share what happened after? Assuming you have replaced the sway bar ends.
      04-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #18
triplej
Rep

haven't had a chance to get back since parts turned up. Hopefully next week. Will post back
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haven't had a chance to get back since parts turned up. Hopefully next week. Will post back
Thanks, I appreciate it