BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #23
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Buy a tire that doesn't require cool down laps.
Please don't gravitate me towards radials when I'm trying to contain myself.

I have been down that road and it's a money pit
      01-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
275/35-18 square on 18x10's. I have not tracked the PS4S, but from what I've seen on other cars, they would have chunked pretty badly on the Roval I was running with the same abuse, just beacuse that outer tread block on the PS4S is so soft and I was doing 20-min sessions without any regard for protecting the tires.
PS4S with about 3 (2xLaguna, 1 Thunderhill) events and a whole lot of street miles. I ran them about 36psi hot. Not bad at all! I didn't force it past its limits so I didnt experience the chunking.

It's kinda fun to work with tire management!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #25
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
PS4S with about 3 (2xLaguna, 1 Thunderhill) events and a whole lot of street miles. I ran them about 36psi hot. Not bad at all! I didn't force it past its limits so I didnt experience the chunking.

It's kinda fun to work with tire management!
Laguna and Thill (and you, because you aren't An Idiot) aren't anywhere near as hard on tires as I am at my Roval...almost no track is. It's a track I have thousands and thousands of laps at in spec racing (including a few TR's in spec classes, so I basically just always am ON IT on this track, it's not meant as a brag, just that I know the track so well that I hang it out alllll the time when I'm on it) and street cars. Anything with some power is, every 70 seconds or so, doing a Sustained limit at-the-limit, 90+mph corner on 18 degree banking for about 10 seconds, which just obliterates outside edges. I''ve watched people demolish new PS4S in a single session at my track. Even with me driving at 11 tenths, the ECS held up better than the supposedly indestructible Hankook RS3, and were faster

Last edited by Richbot; 01-19-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #26
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Buy a tire that doesn't require cool down laps.
Obviously this si the correct thing to do - Get the Goodyear SC3

But if you're not smart enough to do that, I think the Conti is the best bet. It can handle some heat, comes back quickly when it does get overheated, and is super friendly on and over the limit with good aquaplane resistance down to th wear bars
      01-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #27
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Laguna and Thill (and you, because you aren't An Idiot) aren't anywhere near as hard on tires as I am at my Roval...almost no track is. It's a track I have thousands and thousands of laps at in spec racing (including a few TR's in spec classes, so I basically just always am ON IT on this track, it's not meant as a brag, just that I know the track so well that I hang it out alllll the time when I'm on it) and street cars. Anything with some power is, every 70 seconds or so, doing a Sustained limit at-the-limit, 90+mph corner on 18 degree banking for about 10 seconds, which just obliterates outside edges. I''ve watched people demolish new PS4S in a single session at my track. Even with me driving at 11 tenths, the ECS held up better than the supposedly indestructible Hankook RS3, and were faster
Haha! I definitely think the lower corner speeds help in this situation for sure! I can imagine those high speed sweepers killing grip fast!

ECS were pretty darn amazing at Thermal race track for BMW M school even in the 122F Ambient temps.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:49 AM   #28
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Haha! I definitely think the lower corner speeds help in this situation for sure! I can imagine those high speed sweepers killing grip fast!

ECS were pretty darn amazing at Thermal race track for BMW M school even in the 122F Ambient temps.
So I got ECS for 19", 255/275... I liked them so much they are now on nearly all my cars. My only gripe would be that sidewall is a tad soft for my taste.