BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

12-18-2020, 01:28 AM   #45
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Which shop was that? Did the shop cover any of the dealer expenses?
It's not my issue so wont' throw anyone under the bus, but it's NOT the shop in the title here.
He (singular person), did not cover any expenses. All the computers other than the ECU had to be replaced. Took the dealer weeks to figure out why they were going in and out and eventually get fried. They finally noticed the ground was loose after rod bearings. During that time, his car got some body damaged by the dealer too. Not a good experience. He was ready to sell it after spending more than $10k on it... but took it on a couple track days, and the M2c got sold instead.

My buddy also had issues with the same guy when he got camber plates that were sold as quiet but ended up being noisy and was told that can happen sometimes afterwards, so not sure why he went back to him. #internetreputation.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #46
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This was ssr trying to gouge me for $600 for a rear brake install with me providing the fluid. This was before i had my brake bleeder.
Attached Images

ha998193.50
      12-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #47
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

😂 challenge MRF and you'll get "Scorned Beef"
slcook541859.50
      12-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #48
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

+1 for Malek at MRF. I drove my car down there from LA for RB service right after I bought it.

No shop is perfect. There will always be people that disagree or prefer things done a different way. Personalities come into play too - especially when one shop is a one-man-band. Not everyone will get along with everyone.

That said, Malek has taken good care of my car and I plan to go continue going back for future needs.
Appreciate 1
NQRDDS53.50
      12-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #49
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Yeah... I'd never go with Malek but to each their own, glad your cars aren't mine. Yikes.
You're the first person I've ever heard say that. Tell the story.
(IMHO)

I often see Malek's shop put onto a pedestal, whether that be on the forums or on FB. I would just like to say that there are many shops in California, hell, even SoCal that provide just as good if not better work. Trinity, Racewerkz, and EAS chief among them. It all depends on what you're looking to have done. Tried to put this as delicately as possible, not looking to get into a battle on the forums over this shit; I have no dog in this fight. I will just say that this is coming from someone who has had work done on my M3(s) at all four of the shops mentioned above, and there is a reason I decided to throw in my .02. Some shops are not all they're made out to be.
Appreciate 3
Parth317248.50
aus889.50
SoCalRPM885.50
      12-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #50
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Right. There is more that one capable shop in the area, no question about it.
      12-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #51
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
Which shop was that? Did the shop cover any of the dealer expenses?
It's not my issue so wont' throw anyone under the bus, but it's NOT the shop in the title here.
He (singular person), did not cover any expenses. All the computers other than the ECU had to be replaced. Took the dealer weeks to figure out why they were going in and out and eventually get fried. They finally noticed the ground was loose after rod bearings. During that time, his car got some body damaged by the dealer too. Not a good experience. He was ready to sell it after spending more than $10k on it... but took it on a couple track days, and the M2c got sold instead.

My buddy also had issues with the same guy when he got camber plates that were sold as quiet but ended up being noisy and was told that can happen sometimes afterwards, so not sure why he went back to him. #internetreputation.
Loose ground blows all computers, sounds legit.

I'd love to bash a shop because man do I hate how incompetent and irresponsible they are even after takings thousands of dollars from you. But a loose ground blowing all computers sounds like that Nigerian prince emailing me has been legit all along.

I've had a corroded and broken ground cable on my BMW X5, as many many of us have had on many of our BMWs. God forbid we would blow all computers.

From past experience there is usually more than one ground cable/strap on the engine. The trouble is usually starting the car when the ground is bad.

I wish they offered a better theory on how the car blew all computers.
Appreciate 1
Malek@MRF718.50
      12-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #52
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Cool

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with SSR Performance down in Orange County?

More specifically, have you had your rod bearings done there?

How was your experience overall?
Just completed RB and motor mount replacements with SSR 10 Dec 20.

RB Replacements - ACL's w/xtra clearance; Carillo bolts

Experience:
Price - Competitive, honored a previous M3 Post promo price included supporting parts w/oil
Responsiveness - Calls/correspondence timely
Timing - Completed job same day
Service Misses [oversights]:
Oil Refill!?!
IMO UNSAT - Driving from shop to destination, ~11 miles away, got a RED LIGHT for oil level. Fortunately didn't do same day +90 mile drive from OC to SD as previously planned, right?
Remedy - SSR provided 2 liters but had to drive back to shop that evening [different car tho!]
Service Indicators - Failed to reset settings. Ended up doing myself w/ Carly to prevent yet another shop trip.
C minus for QA [hoping no other 'oversights' occurred w/RB job]...I'm a stickler for 'attention to detail'

Overall, I'd say worth comparing/consideration...should have been a slam dunk RECOMMEND.

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 12-20-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #53
Zalamander
-Zal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

Recently had a good experience with SSR. I had an o2 sensor go out a day or two before I planned to attend a track event. Despite being totally booked, they were able to squeeze me in and replace the sensor. I was able to attend my event and the car performed great.

Shout out to Mark and Nick at SSR for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #54
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
if you're coming all the way down here, go to the best- mrf engineering. Malek@MRF
+1 for Malek, had a great experience. Would definitely recommend him for doing the RBs.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #55
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i Alpine White

I've had nothing but great interactions with Shah @ SSR. He's always been courteous and quick to reply or explain over the phone what the service will cover and they even provide free diagnostics (which helped me out in a pinch on my old M235i). I'm doing my RB next week with them: BE bearings & ARP bolts.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #56
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

++++1 for Malek. anyone saying otherwise are delusional, sorry
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #57
ExcelonGT
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

If you’re in the Bay Area, hands down Performance Dynamic is the place to go. Greg is a wizard with e92s
Appreciate 0