BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-20-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
Alexand3r
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 '12

DCT Transmission Malfunction, won't go into gear!

Hello fellow owners!

My turn had come, to deal with the Gearbox malfunction problem.
It happened suddenly, out of nowhere, after I drove it a few times that day.
Started the car and I got the message. Gear lever does not respond to any command. One strange thing I noticed is that the car hesitates when it starts, like the battery is weak, which I don't believe is the case, because it's relatively new battery.

Attached is a photo of the errors in the module, which are there only when the engine is working. After I clear them, nothing changes and when I scan them again, they are there again.

The gearbox has GTS tune. Oil was changed few months ago and I even added a bit more(0.5 liters), because of the tune.

No problems whatsoever until today. Any help would be highly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This is why I've never done the GTS tune... not saying it's related necessarily, but I've heard and read of a decent amount of tranny issues potentially coming from these DCT tunes. have you tried reflashing back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Unwritten-dinasty
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
This is why I've never done the GTS tune... not saying it's related necessarily, but I've heard and read of a decent amount of tranny issues potentially coming from these DCT tunes. have you tried reflashing back to stock?
Any links to such threads? All I read is that the GTS tune is one if not the best mod you can do to our cars so I've been really considering it the past few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwritten-dinasty View Post
Quote:
Any links to such threads? All I read is that the GTS tune is one if not the best mod you can do to our cars so I've been really considering it the past few weeks.
Replacing DCT - Many issues, CAS Module Bricked https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665367

here's one.. scroll down to his post on his mods.
I am no expert, I am no claiming to know it is a risk to tune it, but over the last two years on here, just a few too many threads and conversations have scared me away from doing it ... mines been solid at 116K miles, so I'm probably a minority of cautious people on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
I had a DCT failure. $15k USD Lots of work to update the SW after the new DCT install.

Check with deansbimmer in Dallas, Texas and he may have a used DCT.

Two other options. Replace the internal pump and/or replace the mechatronics unit.

Before trying to repair the DCT, check the fuel pump under the back seats. (2 pumps). $1k USD to replace...very easy. Check youtube. EKP module for the fuel pump is behind the back seat upright.

When your DCT fails while driving the car shifts into Neutral for safety and your rpms drop to near zero.

My DCT and fuel pump failed at the exact same time. BMW dealer didnt fix the fuel pump first. They also don't repair DCT internals. $16k USD.

Good Luck,

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwritten-dinasty View Post
Quote:
Replacing DCT - Many issues, CAS Module Bricked https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665367

here's one.. scroll down to his post on his mods.
I am no expert, I am no claiming to know it is a risk to tune it, but over the last two years on here, just a few too many threads and conversations have scared me away from doing it ... mines been solid at 116K miles, so I'm probably a minority of cautious people on this.
It's unclear to me it's a risk on the street. The GTS tune is a popular mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I dont think it is the GTS maps; I change maps all the time and no issues.
At the same time, I dont think your tranny is bad. A lot of guys here have the expertise to re flash it for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

This happens when you have a bad battery/alternator as suggested by the first code that you have - I was dealing with this in my friend's car a couple of days ago. check the alternator and the battery before you jump into the DCT. The car had the same Valve errors, we jump-started it, left to run, turned it off, left it to reset and it worked. I hope its a simple fix and nothing serious.

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // ESS 625 //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
This happens when you have a bad battery/alternator as suggested by the first code that you have - I was dealing with this in my friend's car a couple of days ago. check the alternator and the battery before you jump into the DCT. The car had the same Valve errors, we jump-started it, left to run, turned it off, left it to reset and it worked. I hope its a simple fix and nothing serious.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

lol, that's like me saying "that's why I don't drive my car in the rain"..

I've had that software update for 120k out of 140k of my ownership and nothing has ever happened.

The GTS uses the same software and has the same hardware as any other M3.
      01-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Alexand3r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
Thanks for that!

Well it turns out, it really is one of the two. Left the car, came back to it later and everything was fine. Will investigate the battery first, because I had the alternator refurbished a few months ago. Will report back!
Appreciate 1
Makaveli7116.50
      01-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #12
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Run a test plan on the DKG codes on ista. It'll give more information on everything. Could be failing mechatronics unit, I've seen a few of those lately which show symptoms of intermittent transmission issues like you're experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Alexand3r
Private
Rep

Let's blow the dust off..

Just wanted to inform anyone who can have similar problem in the future. It was an electrical issue after all.
After some investigation, turned out, that the grounding cable for the engine, the one that goes from the oil pan to the body of the car, was a bit loose. So from there on, when the car was starting, the voltage of the engine and the transmission, was falling down to 6V and therefore the transmission recorded an error.

So if this happens to you, it 99% is an electrical issue, that triggers a low voltage alarm in the gearbox!
Appreciate 2
akkando5863.00
      03-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexand3r View Post
Let's blow the dust off..

Just wanted to inform anyone who can have similar problem in the future. It was an electrical issue after all.
After some investigation, turned out, that the grounding cable for the engine, the one that goes from the oil pan to the body of the car, was a bit loose. So from there on, when the car was starting, the voltage of the engine and the transmission, was falling down to 6V and therefore the transmission recorded an error.

So if this happens to you, it 99% is an electrical issue, that triggers a low voltage alarm in the gearbox!
Thanks for posting this follow up. Glad you figured it out and it wasn't anywhere near as big a deal as you initially suspected.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #15
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nothing a solid conclusion! Great news!