BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thoughts on DKG transmission service?

Lads!

One of my close mates who is a master tech for BMW has told me that the DKG (DCT) transmission on the E92 M3 doesn't require an oil change/service, as the fluid is lifetime.

What are people's thoughts on this? And who among you have done a transmission oil change?

I come from the VW Golf R world and VAG recommends you change the oil every 60,000kms.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
chocstraw
Second Lieutenant
chocstraw's Avatar
202
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

The pan ends up leaking so you should just do the fluids and filter while there. It took me about 45 minutes to remove the panels, replace the filters, get everything back together, then another 15 to fill up the fluid.

I did not notice a single bit of difference with fresh fluid. I would still do it every 60k miles to be safe though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
10
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65_Screamer View Post
Lads!

One of my close mates who is a master tech for BMW has told me that the DKG (DCT) transmission on the E92 M3 doesn't require an oil change/service, as the fluid is lifetime.

What are people's thoughts on this? And who among you have done a transmission oil change?

I come from the VW Golf R world and VAG recommends you change the oil every 60,000kms.
Sounds great in theory until you get a leak. As noted, I would change it out when the filter is serviced or if you have a leak
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3TS View Post
Sounds great in theory until you get a leak. As noted, I would change it out when the filter is serviced or if you have a leak
This might seem like a silly question, how would one know if the transmission is leaking? Sweating from the transmission or pools of oil on the ground?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Fezza
Private First Class
Fezza's Avatar
Australia
35
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

I'd assume sweating like mine, got great results after doing the DCT oil service last year (inc. filters and gaskets).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
I'd assume sweating like mine, got great results after doing the DCT oil service last year (inc. filters and gaskets).
What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?

Dealership or reputable garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
Fezza
Private First Class
Fezza's Avatar
Australia
35
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65_Screamer View Post
What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?
Dealership or reputable garage?
I purchased all the stuff myself from rockauto.com (about AU$350 delivered) and took it to a reputable garage over here (GMW) and they charged $200 for the labour. I'll continue doing the DCT service every 3 years or so to keep it in tip-top shape since our DCTs seem to be designed to leak/sweat from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:41 PM   #8
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
I purchased all the stuff myself from rockauto.com (about AU$350 delivered) and took it to a reputable garage over here (GMW) and they charged $200 for the labour. I'll continue doing the DCT service every 3 years or so to keep it in tip-top shape since our DCTs seem to be designed to leak/sweat from the factory.
Solid advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
NQRDDS
Private
NQRDDS's Avatar
38
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

I've heard of some people changing over to the slon pan and possibly had greater success in terms of recurrent leaking/sweating. Although it may be more difficult and pricey to source.

https://slon-workshop.com/2018/07/19...w-dct-oil-pan/
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #10
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQRDDS View Post
I've heard of some people changing over to the slon pan and possibly had greater success in terms of recurrent leaking/sweating. Although it may be more difficult and pricey to source.

https://slon-workshop.com/2018/07/19...w-dct-oil-pan/
What's the price on this bad boy? It isn't listed on the web page.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #11
NQRDDS
Private
NQRDDS's Avatar
38
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65_Screamer View Post
What's the price on this bad boy? It isn't listed on the web page.
This is what someone else paid a while back:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594116
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
S65_Screamer
New Member
S65_Screamer's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQRDDS View Post
This is what someone else paid a while back:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594116
Faaaarrrkkkk and that's USD as well
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
10
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
I'd assume sweating like mine, got great results after doing the DCT oil service last year (inc. filters and gaskets).
Yes sweating. On a ppi, there was some oil sweating and it was thought to be a rear main seal. Fortunately it was the from the gearbox and i had all the bits ready for a tranny service.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
perth1
Private
29
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Perth, Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Hi,
'Lifetime' is a silly term used by manufacturers and dealers. It usually means 'will last as long as needed to exceed any warranty'.

As suggested above it is good advice to change the oil, but it is rather costly and depending on driving style you may stretch it to 100k km also. Depends on your driving style, for example if you do track days or have supercharger kit etc, then do it sooner.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST