BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #111
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

That is great. An ASA or Rotrex rebuild way more than
a Vortech.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #112
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Is the G1 supposed to be somewhere between the 625 and 650 kit in terms of power?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #113
Braymond141
Rep
Drives: 96 M3, 01 M5, 11 128 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Just wanted to clarify this, the G1/G1+ supercharger units are indeed 100% rebuildable and even easier/cheaper than the Vortech units.

The G1 supercharger is designed to last 10,000+ hours, it will most likely outlast the vehicle. Should you ever need a rebuild - an ESS G1 full rebuild is $499, while the Vortech inspection fee alone will set you back $100.

All Current ESS Supercharger-related info can be seen in this thread. As always, if you have any questions - feel free to contact us directly.
That's a tad misleading. Vortech is around $400 for a standard rebuild and fresh badge plate. There's no reason to send it in for an inspection. If you're sending it in, you're rebuilding it. The price goes up if you have a damaged impeller or want a trim upgrade, but they are fairly reasonable and that is bound to be no different than ESS. You can also rebuild them yourself for $250. I have rebuilt over a dozen and have had business with Vortech on several occasions, even recently.

The weight savings seems great. The noise reduction sounds like a step in the wrong direction but that probably has to do with making a more efficient gear design. Most of my clients are bummed that their helical cut gear Vortech (V2 and newer) are not louder. The V1 straight cut gear units added more to the experience.

Do you know if these ESS chargers are being made available to purchase by themselves?
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #114
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
That's a tad misleading. Vortech is around $400 for a standard rebuild and fresh badge plate. There's no reason to send it in for an inspection. If you're sending it in, you're rebuilding it. The price goes up if you have a damaged impeller or want a trim upgrade, but they are fairly reasonable and that is bound to be no different than ESS. You can also rebuild them yourself for $250. I have rebuilt over a dozen and have had business with Vortech on several occasions, even recently.

The weight savings seems great. The noise reduction sounds like a step in the wrong direction but that probably has to do with making a more efficient gear design. Most of my clients are bummed that their helical cut gear Vortech (V2 and newer) are not louder. The V1 straight cut gear units added more to the experience.

Do you know if these ESS chargers are being made available to purchase by themselves?
The typical end user would most likely be sending the unit direct to Vortech for inspection, or paying a shop to diagnose. Either adds to the overall cost. ESS still sells Vortech-based kits for those that request them.

I've never heard of anyone wanting a "louder" noise from a centrifugal supercharger - only those wanting quieter. G-Series superchargers are available separately, but need the G-specific mounting brackets and other hardware if upgrading from a vortech-based kit.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #115
Braymond141
Rep
Drives: 96 M3, 01 M5, 11 128 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The typical end user would most likely be sending the unit direct to Vortech for inspection, or paying a shop to diagnose. Either adds to the overall cost. ESS still sells Vortech-based kits for those that request them.

I've never heard of anyone wanting a "louder" noise from a centrifugal supercharger - only those wanting quieter. G-Series superchargers are available separately, but need the G-specific mounting brackets and other hardware if upgrading from a vortech-based kit.
That's the exact process an ESS G owner will go through too. Same same. You're not paying for an inspection fee when the rebuild is around $400. Whether you pull the charger or a shop pulls the charger is irrelevant. I'm not discrediting their product. Their rebuild pricing is more than reasonable and standard operating procedure compared to Vortech. It's great they seem to not be a nightmare like when an HKS or Rotrex require work.

The last 3 installs I have done, the first thing they comment on is the lack of noise. The HKS I just pulled off a friend's 01 M3 was insanely fun just because of the sound it made (and the dual vent to atmosphere bypass valves).

That's no problem on the mounting. I want another option for a kit I'm designing. I'll send you a PM now on pricing.

Last edited by Braymond141; 03-25-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:05 AM   #116
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Anyone have a link to a rebuild kit for the g1?
Appreciate 0