BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

do you track in the rain? is it worth it?

Well I was setup to go to the track tomorrow but its showing rain... never ran in the rain and wonder if its worth it... any input. ... how wet does the inside of the car get? Is it still fun? Is it worth it once you add fuel, track insurance etc...
      02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes. You'll probably learn more in the wet than dry. Little water gets in the windows at speed (little is subjective I guess). Wet tracks make you focus on being smooth much more than dry. Go have fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Go!
You can learn so much by driving in the rain; it's great for learning smooth driver inputs, limits of traction, the wet line, etc. Every track I've been on I've driven in the rain/wet at least once. Start off with MDM mode and if you get comfortable with that only then go to DSC off.

Your interior may get a little wet, especially if you splash through a puddle but it won't melt.

Go! It's a hoot.
      02-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds good fellas!!! Thank you!!! Oh by the way my traction control no longer works..lmao should be interesting
      02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Have fun - no worries about the Traction Control not working, never run mine when at the track in the wet. Like the others said, you will learn more on a wet track.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Running in the rain gives you an even better appreciation of the balance and handling of our cars...especially compared to other makes. Plus, cool photos with your headlights reflecting off the track.
      02-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Have fun - no worries about the Traction Control not working, never run mine when at the track in the wet. Like the others said, you will learn more on a wet track.
Well that puts me a little more at ease.. only other thing is I run open group (advance) and I keep the pace when dry but in that group in the rain might be different
      02-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Running in the rain gives you an even better appreciation of the balance and handling of our cars...especially compared to other makes. Plus, cool photos with your headlights reflecting off the track.
Pretty sure your not supposed to run with the headlights on but will ask.... but the photos was one of the things I was really looking forward to. ..
      02-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

As others said, driving in the rain is a great learning tool (and ego check) because it exposes mistakes much more readily and thus shows you just how much you still need to learn. First time I drove in the wet with DSC fully off I spun twice in one lap.

Especially if you don't have DSC, just make sure to build speed very carefully, give other cars around you plenty of room since you don't know their experience or comfort levels, and make your inputs extra smooth and (where appropriate) extra slow, particularly throttle. The "wet line" is typically taught to lower run groups, whereas upper run groups are taught how to essentially drive the dry line with appropriate input modifications. Do whatever your instructor recommends on that front. And if you go off track, it is even more essential than normal to go off pointed straight, not sideways or even with the wheel significantly turned, because mud can and does pile up fast in that scenario and can flip your car in extreme cases.

Also, if you'll be running windows down (most organizers require it even in the rain) accept that if the rain is even moderately heavy, your rear seats will look like they were hit by a monsoon at the end of your sessions. If you're not ok with that, get some trash bags and tape, though the organizer may not be ok with that as it's a potential moving object. I didn't bother with that and fretted when I saw my drenched interior, but it didn't do any permanent damage.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
ivad32
Keelhauler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-spd

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I assume you're running with NCRC tomorrow at TH. I'll be in the Solo group and hoping that they let us roll the windows up and use turn signals. This will be my first time in the rain with any car and first track event with this car. I will leave DSC on and Power off for the first session then try MDM with Power off for the second.

I will try to get there early for a covered spot!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
I have a rainy track day this weekend and I'm looking forward to it.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivad32
I assume you're running with NCRC tomorrow at TH. I'll be in the Solo group and hoping that they let us roll the windows up and use turn signals. This will be my first time in the rain with any car and first track event with this car. I will leave DSC on and Power off for the first session then try MDM with Power off for the second.

I will try to get there early for a covered spot!
I started with MDM on even at my first event in the rain (which was only second ever track event, and also my first time in this car) and was totally fine. And I realized just how heroic MDM was when I turned it off for one lap! But you can easily run MDM without issue.

As for Power, I always turn that off on the track because I find the throttle more linear and thus easier to adjust smoothly, whereas Power mode is a bit twitchy. I drove for a year with Power on at the track, and when it finally occurred to me that Normal might be more controllable, I immediately got much faster. It was simply more confidence-inspiring, which allowed me to add more throttle earlier in the corners and make finer adjustments. Now I only use Power for regular road driving because Normal feels sluggish in that setting -- but perfect on the track when revs are kept high.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Also, if you'll be running windows down (most organizers require it even in the rain) accept that your rear seats will look like they were hit by a monsoon at the end of your sessions. If you're not ok with that, get some trash bags and tape, though the organizer may not be ok with that as it's a potential moving object. I didn't bother with that and fretted when I saw my drenched interior, but it didn't do any permanent damage.
Running with windows down during rain is a organizer specific requirement. I've ran track days where they allow windows up when it is pouring. To do point bys and such, you use the turn signals. I would not run in the rain with windows down. I care too much about my car to get the interior drenched and dirty.

I've also been to test and tune days where the event organizers are just track day junkies looking to get some track time with their buddies. In that case, besides standard safety requirements, we set our own rules. We'll have full track drift sessions, park on track for photos, time attack battles and other stuff.
      02-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Driving in the rain is the best teaching tool ever. You actual have to "feel" where the grip is and everyone I've run with let's us roll up the windows when it's pouring. I just put on the radio and cruise

[u2b]5R9if-lge2g&sns[/u2b]

Pee ess
Stay away from the shiny spots
      02-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I instruct sometimes at track days and the first thing I show people is the "traction circle".

In dry, it is a circle. In wet conditions, it becomes an oval with max acceleration and braking inputs possible (with increased braking distances and slower acceleration) but turning and accelerating/braking is much less in the wet.
      02-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think rain and dry is pretty easy relative to a drying out track or when it starts raining. Then the track can be VERY different every lap and that's when its really tough. Also, that's when most of the crashes happen in my experience. Patience and stay ahead of the car...know what its going to do before you do it and understand what it could do.

It also changes your exit strategies. You REALLY need to keep the car going straight if you go off.

The best thing about wet track days? They are a lot cheaper unless you hit something.

Who said rainy track days can't be fun?

2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
running in the rain will definitely improve your smoothness with respect to braking, gas and steering inputs. I have done a bunch of rain days. All worthwhile.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
running in the rain will definitely improve your smoothness with respect to braking, gas and steering inputs. I have done a bunch of rain days. All worthwhile.
Agreed, completely. I learned in the rain here up north, but had the benefit of mdm. Be careful without any traction control. Don't try to be fast, be smooth and if it drys out you will immediately see faster laps due to better driving techniques. Should be interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Driving on the racetrack in the rain is fun. You will learn the track all over again eg learning the rain line, where the water runs etc. At lime rock for example rivers form on no name and also on the downhill so you have to be aware and keep the wheel straight though there. It's also interesting in that the track conditions may change lap to lap depending on how hard or how light it's coming down, and your line may change. Essentially you drive wherever there is grip.

I was was also afraid of getting water in the cabin but the car seems to channel the water away from the interior. It's kinda neat actually. I was at a rain soaked track day last year and Calloway was hosting maybe 10 vettes. The drivers were complaining of puddles in the seats. Not in our cars LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Leaving the car sitting when you have a wet track you've paid to use is like buying a meal from the best restaurant in town, waiting for it to arrive, and standing up and walking out without taking a bite
      02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Leaving the car sitting when you have a wet track you've paid to use is like buying a meal from the best restaurant in town, waiting for it to arrive, and standing up and walking out without taking a bite
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks fellas for all the input! !!! APPRECIATE everyone taking the time to point out whats most important! !!!.will see what happens