BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

10-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Precisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I think I finally get it.

For ball joints (left side of each arm in picture below), tightening in normal position probably does not matter because it is free to rotate.

But for actual bushings (right side of each arm), tightening in normal position will matter because there is resistance when you rotate.

When we do a rear spring/shock replacement, the lower camber arm outer joint is a ball joint, that's why it is OK to tighten that joint when NOT in normal position.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #24
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hallelujah! I learned something new today!

And Dinan's dead wrong to say that the rear TOE ARM has rubber bushings, whereas in fact they are both ball joints.

Here's what you would get to have zero bushings:

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I think I finally get it.

For ball joints (left side of each arm in picture below), tightening in normal position probably does not matter because it is free to rotate.

But for actual bushings (right side of each arm), tightening in normal position will matter because the rubber will be loaded when not in normal position.

When we do a rear spring/shock replacement, the lower camber arm outer joint is a ball joint, that's why it is OK to tighten that joint when NOT in normal position.

ok i was just thinking bout the rear links that are shown in this picture. correct me if i am wrong but when you do an alignment, dont they adjust the settings by loosening and adjusting these links then re-tightening everything. so assuming that you had an alignment done after a spring or coilover install, you should be ok since alignments are always done while the wheels are on the platform and the suspension is fully loaded.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #26
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

^no not all links get loosened. Typically in the rear, only the lower camber arm and toe link get adjusted.
Appreciate 0