BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

11-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Dilemma - Having Two Small Cars and No SUV - Cayman

So, everyone in my family has gotten a new car this year - just worked out that way, and now my wifey wants one too. It's only fair!

She has always had an SUV and I have always had the sports car, but now she wants a Cayman. Neither of us are speed/performance gals. I love cars and look at them and love the way they look on the inside and outside, but really don't care how fast they go - and she cares even less than I do!

So we both think the Cayman is pretty (haha) and like the way it drives. But I'm worried about having two small cars - we have no kids.

So my point of this whole post is:
Does anyone here (who's married or partnered) have two sports/smaller cars with no SUV? Do you wish you would have kept an SUV in the family instead?

Thanks
      11-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Clearly there seems to be some confusion as to who's entitled to drive the sports car in your family. Perhaps you need to sit her down and explain her role as the minivan/suv driver. Wives are supposed to be more concerned about safety and grocery capacity than fun factor. Barring that, maybe you can steer her to a practical yet sporty option, though at the moment cars like the RS6 Avant are not available in the US.
E63 AMG wagon?
      11-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Having a Cayman and an E93 might be a bit tough. You mentioned that you don't have kids, but do you have dogs, hobbies that require hauling around gear, or regularly travel with lots of luggage?

I personally chose the E92 M3 over the Cayman S for practicality reasons. I sold my truck at the same time and my wife has a little Honda Civic, and we haven't really had any issues. The E92 with the fold down seats will fit my bikes, a 6-foot ladder, or a couple of golf bags very easily. All of these would be difficult or impossible in the E93 and Cayman. Take stock of your regular activities and think about how often you'd need to borrow or rent a more practical vehicle...
      11-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

based on my personal experiences. it is a pain having two sport car in the family. I would get her an suv like fx35 or x6 35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Clearly there seems to be some confusion as to who's entitled to drive the sports car in your family. Perhaps you need to sit her down and explain her role as the minivan/suv driver. Wives are supposed to be more concerned about safety and grocery capacity than fun factor. Barring that, maybe you can steer her to a practical yet sporty option, though at the moment cars like the RS6 Avant are not available in the US.
E63 AMG wagon?
Clearly there seems to be some confusion as to the OP's relationship. The internet can do that to you sometimes.
      11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Clearly there seems to be some confusion as to the OP's relationship. The internet can do that to you sometimes.
No confusion really, all the clues are in Montego's first post.

As to the question, families, with or without kids, with or without dogs, have gotten along without SUVs for many, many years. So I don't think you necessarily need one of your two cars to be an SUV. But having 2 two door coupes in the mix would be a bit limiting in certain situations. The Cayman is a true two-seater, no room for anything else that breathes (dogs in your case.)

The question becomes, do you want to haul the dogs to the beach/park/wherever in the back of your E93, ALL THE TIME? Yikes....

So, the only real choice is to....
1.) Keep the E93
2.) Get a Cayman
3.) Get ANOTHER vehicle like a wagon or small SUV!

Easy, problem solved!

[/Thread]

2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

^lol

its always nice to have at least one SUV. for when you go to the grocery or just need to bring some stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

So, the only real choice is to....
1.) Keep the E93
2.) Get a Cayman
3.) Get ANOTHER vehicle like a wagon or small SUV!

Easy, problem solved!

[/Thread]

That's basically what my parents did. A G35 coupe for my dad (hes planning on getting a M-sport 335i coupe within the next year), an E93 328i for my mom and an Acura MDX as the grocery-getter/traveling car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

How often do you NEED the SUV?
- If you need one frequently and have somewhere to park a 3rd car you could always pick up a cheap, used, POS SUV and keep it handy.
- If you rarely need one you could always fall back on rentals.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
jblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05 range rover vogue SE

yeh i got to ask too, your female female? not that it matters ofcourse

being female female it makes it harder for you to stamp authority, but try to convince her she wants a cayenne its her sport SUV with porsche styling

every women/girl i met loves that car to death. even if a range rover was better, they would drop you in a instant just to get inside the cayenne
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I lived in STL for over 20 years, so while I know it doesn't snow a ton up there, it snows enough to where I'd want something in the family with AWD...or at least just something that wasn't RWD for the winters.

If you want a badass SUV...get a Jeep SRT8. Half the price of a cayenne and way meaner looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
So, everyone in my family has gotten a new car this year - just worked out that way, and now my wifey wants one too. It's only fair!

She has always had an SUV and I have always had the sports car, but now she wants a Cayman. Neither of us are speed/performance gals. I love cars and look at them and love the way they look on the inside and outside, but really don't care how fast they go - and she cares even less than I do!

So we both think the Cayman is pretty (haha) and like the way it drives. But I'm worried about having two small cars - we have no kids.

Does anyone here (who's married or partnered) have two sports/smaller cars with no SUV? Do you wish you would have kept an SUV in the family instead?

Thanks
you dont 'NEED' an SUV. the trunk of the e93 should suffice for MOST excursions/ grocery runs etc. If there is a need for a bigger automobile for those rare occaisions, I would rent. the cayman and the e93 would make a great pair. You also live in STL, which negates the idea of having a 4X4 or a taller vehicle.

Great choice on the Cayman!
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
Living in the 'Sunshine State' would it not be wisher to look at the Boxster instead. The difference in performance and feel is very small and noise levels inside with the roof up is again very small, plus it's cheaper and arguably prettier with the roof down.

Problem comes when kids are on the way, neither of the Porsches are child buggy capable. The only alternative I can think of that would still meet the requirements of a Cayman yet be family proof for a few years is the TT-S, it's definitely as pretty if not prettier, it's even better inside and built as well yet has a proper boot and usable back seats.

If the TT option sounds acceptable here's some pics to think over.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Hi guys, thanks for all the input and advice.
I don't know how to multiple quote so I'll just respond below.

Yes, girl on girl, FTMFW! It's funny because she's more of the one who kills the bugs while I run screaming and I'm the one who cooks. But our personalities are so opposite of that. I'm more like a guy personality-wise. The typical stereotype is there's always a "man" and a "woman" - sooo not true. Actually I only know one couple who is even like that. ANYWAY! (This concludes your lesbian education for the day.)

So, we already have a third vehicle in another state, and I don't want to pay insurance on a fourth, so that rules out getting a beater SUV. BUT, what we'll probably do is go for it, and if it's a huge deal, we can always drive the SUV up and keep it here too. The winter thing does concern me though, because it can get nasty here every now and then. Man, I'm just not sure what to do. It will come to us though.

The tt is a cool car, but we've already had one, so want something different. I'm not gonna lie, I've always coveted the p-car, and I certainly wouldn't mind switching cars every now and then!

Yes, the boxter is a convertible, but ever since the caymans came out, we have both loved the styling more. Plus we already have a cabrio, so that's cool.

NO KIDS EVER! I know it makes me weird, and all my straight friends are like what is the matter with you, but I hate them, lol.
      11-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

If no kids and you're not hauling things, I'd say dont worry about it. My roomy and I have been living together for 3 years and not yet had a problem. We have 3 vehicles, all of which can only hold 1 or 2 people at a time. (Camaro, motorcycle, and E30 which is a sedan, but lowered too much to fit people in the back).

Most things we can get by with. I figure out how to fit it inside the car or in the trunk, or if need be, we use the Camaro with the hatch and leave it sticking out the end. Very occasionally when we have something bigger that needs to be moved, I have a friend across town who lets me borrow his Jeep Grand Cherokee, but from what I've noticed my lifestyle only calls for that once or twice a year.

I think unless you're hauling LARGE items often, you'd be fine. You can fit plenty inside a coupe if you angle it correctly. I think many people have more car than they truly need. Hell, I've gone seasons with ONLY a single-seat motorcycle. Backpacks and straps work wonders.
      11-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i live with my gf, and my only car is the m3... its a pain in the ass sometimes... during winter, when there's lots of snow and ice on the ground, i sometimes have to rent an suv to haul my gear cos my m3 gets stuck in the snow due to low clearance, etc... so sometimes i wished i had an suv but i know that if i get one, i would prob use it bout 10 times a year (thats how often i have to rent an suv) so its really not worth it.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #18
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
you dont 'NEED' an SUV. the trunk of the e93 should suffice for MOST excursions/ grocery runs etc. If there is a need for a bigger automobile for those rare occaisions, I would rent. the cayman and the e93 would make a great pair. You also live in STL, which negates the idea of having a 4X4 or a taller vehicle.

Great choice on the Cayman!
+1 Well said!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
The winter thing does concern me though, because it can get nasty here every now and then. Man, I'm just not sure what to do. It will come to us though.
Invest in a winter wheel/tire setup for the e93?
      11-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
All good points, but when I posted this I didn't think we were buying a new house, but apparently we are now. So the Cayman is definitely not in the budget anymore. Damn.

That's sad I am more excited about a car than a house, lol.

So, now we're looking more around 30K MAX for a car. I'm a warranty freak, will not buy anything (used) that isn't covered for at least 3 years of ownership.

My coveting of the p-car continues........
      11-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
All good points, but when I posted this I didn't think we were buying a new house, but apparently we are now. So the Cayman is definitely not in the budget anymore. Damn.

My coveting of the p-car continues........
Huh, two days later and the woman is talking down your dreams. Yours sounds like the rest of em.
      11-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Huh, two days later and the woman is talking down your dreams. Yours sounds like the rest of em.
LMAO, I know RIGHT?

Well, she wanted the Cayman, but I wanted it more!

We put an offer in on a house with the contingency of selling ours and I thought no way in hell they'd accept our offer. So we decided not to move and just get a new car instead. But they accepted the offer, I was surprised, but turns out the house was weeks away from going to a "short sale."

So.....no Porsche for me....uh, I mean her.