BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

02-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #45
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Which country and decade are you from, the KGB era of the Soviets or the hardline era of the Communists China?

First of all, law enforcement officers will never "apologize" for pulling anyone over.

Second, if they pull you over, they better have a "valid" reason and explanation of which specific law you "broke". Otherwise, all citizens have the right to complain on the officer for abusing their power and authority.

This is Canada, not a "police state". There is no discretion for any police officer to pull over anyone without a valid reason and explanation.
You can complain all you want, but it's still an LEO's choice either to pull you over or let you be on your way. The explanation you seek should be written on the ticket along with the when and where factors. You're in another country, so obviously there are many variables.
________
Volcano digital

Last edited by HappyG; 03-08-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #46
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
There are laws that state when you can be pulled over (as vague as they may be). It's not "up to their discretion". Remember, this is a democracy.
I meant their discretion on how a law is interpreted and if they see fit to pull someone over for it. I'm not saying they have the right to do whatever it is they please, but LEO's aren't lawyers or policy makers. Those laws that state when and why one can be pulled over are usually handled after the fact, not during or before.
________
New Jersey Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by HappyG; 03-08-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #47
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
Wow, I am not sure that I agree with your assesment. Circumventing established law enforcement doesn't fall under the umbrella of morality. For that to be the case, the officer in the speed trap would have to be acting immorally, and that isn't the case.

Is it a dick move to pull you over for flashing your lights? Maybe. But it is pretty established action; I remember being pulled over 20 years ago for the same thing, but we got a ticket. So I would just count your blessings that you didn't get an annoying ticket.
I agree. What the OP did was in no way "morally right". I would argue that it is quite the opposite. You are trying to protect people who are breaking the law. I don't like the idiocy of speed limits any more than you do, but what you (OP) did was morally wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansyes View Post
but I am not entirely sure what I did is illegal in here..

I mean i was just flashing for oncoming traffic which i don't think it's illegal at all ...
In Pennsylvania having your high beams on within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle is illegal, though I can't speak for your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #48
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS in the Chicagoland area:

1. It's illegal (even when at a 4 way stop, and you want another person to go)
2. Gangs are using this to "target" their initiation victims. They drive w/ their lights off, and the 1st person to flash their headlights is the one that they chase and shoot as part of their gang initiation. This is the stupidist shit that I've ever heard...but I've heard it from friends, and it was on the news. It's a shame that we can't help one another anymore!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #49
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5 View Post
DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS in the Chicagoland area:

1. It's illegal (even when at a 4 way stop, and you want another person to go)
2. Gangs are using this to "target" their initiation victims. They drive w/ their lights off, and the 1st person to flash their headlights is the one that they chase and shoot as part of their gang initiation. This is the stupidist shit that I've ever heard...but I've heard it from friends, and it was on the news. It's a shame that we can't help one another anymore!
That thing about gangs and flashing highbeams is real? I thought it was just one of those e-mail hoaxes.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #50
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

urban legend. One of those " I heard from a friend's grandma's second cousin" thing

here's a link: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
That thing about gangs and flashing highbeams is real? I thought it was just one of those e-mail hoaxes.
      03-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #51
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It might be false in other countries, cities or states, but I'll tell you that at least in Chicago, it is real.
I also had a personal experience where I was comming home late from the club w/ my friend in the car...and the oncomming car had their lights turned off. When I flashed my high beams, the other car [w/ about 5 guys in it, like a '83 caprice, w/ chrome, lifted, etc. ] slammed on the brakes, and made a u-turn. Luckly I was about 3 blocks from home, floored it...zig zagging through side streets and made it to my garage through the alley. I'm not saying that those guys were in a gang, trying to do something bad...but it didn't look good either.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0