BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

sorry if i worded it wrong. yeah i have the 6sp manual. sorry used man for short then realized it sounded like i was asking which is better for a man lol

yeah i forgot the dct was 7 gears and all different

good to know you like the 4.10 for the 6sp. so you noticed a big difference in acceleration?? also is the cruising really not that much higher on the rpm??

thanks alot

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I'm not sure that I understand your question. Is your car a 6MT or a DCT? The 4.10 is for the 6MT, while the 3.62 and 3.45 are for the DCT.

The 6MT and the DCT have entirely different gear ratios, with the DCT being much lower in the first two gears, in particular. Some people say that the 3.62 is too low for the DCT, but that depends on how you plan to use it. (It'll work and feel faster, but is actually slower in the 1/4-mile). Anyway, if the 3.62 is marginally or arguably too low for the DCT, then the 4.10 is going to be way too low, such that 1st gear wouldn't even be needed to get rolling. Also, that would likely confuse the DCT's computer no end.

So, the 4.10 is superb for the 6Mt. I've got it and love it. If you want to change the FD on a DCT you should search the threads about that to help you decide which you'll like most. There's been lots of discussion here.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
sorry if i worded it wrong. yeah i have the 6sp manual. sorry used man for short then realized it sounded like i was asking which is better for a man lol

yeah i forgot the dct was 7 gears and all different

good to know you like the 4.10 for the 6sp. so you noticed a big difference in acceleration?? also is the cruising really not that much higher on the rpm??

thanks alot

H
RPM is 6% higher and gas mileage is 6% lower, no way around that.

Keep in mind that I'm at 5400 feet above sea level, just South of Denver. That reduces my rear wheel hp by 60+ hp, so the gains that I experience from the final drive change may be more than someone at or near sea level.

I notice a lot more mid-gear responsiveness. It's very noticeable on the street. In autocross I can spin the rear wheels at any place on course.

There's a debate going as to whether your quarter mile time will improve or not. I think your 0-60 and 1/8th mile times will improve, but I'm not so certain in the quarter mile. That's not important to me, but if it is to you, then you'll want to Search some of the related threads and decide for yourself.

Dave
      09-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

awesome info thank you!!

no i don't care so much about the 1/4 mile or 0-60 i don't race. i do like though that you said it gave it some midrange punch as i feel that is where it could use some. coming off my E39 M5 with some mods it is down on tq for me

thank you

H

Quote:
RPM is 6% higher and gas mileage is 6% lower, no way around that.

Keep in mind that I'm at 5400 feet above sea level, just South of Denver. That reduces my rear wheel hp by 60+ hp, so the gains that I experience from the final drive change may be more than someone at or near sea level.

I notice a lot more mid-gear responsiveness. It's very noticeable on the street. In autocross I can spin the rear wheels at any place on course.

There's a debate going as to whether your quarter mile time will improve or not. I think your 0-60 and 1/8th mile times will improve, but I'm not so certain in the quarter mile. That's not important to me, but if it is to you, then you'll want to Search some of the related threads and decide for yourself.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
awesome info thank you!!

no i don't care so much about the 1/4 mile or 0-60 i don't race. i do like though that you said it gave it some midrange punch as i feel that is where it could use some. coming off my E39 M5 with some mods it is down on tq for me
Ok, then I can guarantee that you'll like it. With the DCT I think that the 3.45 is the best all around choice.

Dave
      09-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #27
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Why is the stock pipe crushed? Is this normal?

Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  181.2 KB
      09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #28
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Why is the stock pipe crushed? Is this normal?

Attachment 309367
This must be normal as it came off my new E90 M3 with less than 2,000 miles on it.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #29
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

It's totally normal my midpipe was the exact same way. i don't know why BMW would dimple the pipes. They must have some sort of weird engineering theory?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #30
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Looks and sounds great BIGLARE...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hey just got mine on today!! oh man you were so right it is awesome thank you for the feedback as i was a bit wishy washy on doing it. i am so happy i did. the sound is prob the best part but the extra power is equally awesome

i don't have the diff yet but i plan to get it. so i can imagine yours must really rip!!

do you notice it has a certain sound btw 3-5k then after that it takes on a completly different tone?? i think it is awesome how it does that

thanks again

H

[QUOTE=biglare;5894374]Finally installed the much anticipated DINAN Mid-Pipe and matching software update. I already had DINAN exhaust, diff 3.62, springs and performance software, so once I heard that DINAN was coming out with one I just waited. I chose Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale to perform the installation as they are the only authorized DINAN dealer in the North Phoenix area. I spoke with Greg Dalgarn, owner of Ultimate Auto Works to place the order and he kept me well informed of when the DINAN Mid-Pipe would be available, shipped and ready for installation. Greg worked with my schedule to perform the installation first thing on a Friday morning. The entire installation took about 4 hours including the installation of the Mid-Pipe Software, which is required by DINAN. This will eliminate the CEL as there are no cats with this mid-pipe setup.

The Review: When the car was first fired up it had the same deep note as before with only the DINAN rear exhaust, but when the RPM's were increased the beast was unleashed. At higher RPM's, above 6000, it screams like a race car. The sound was exactly what I was looking for. There is some slight odor as there are no cats.
Once on the street there is an immediate difference from before. It feels like there is more power right off the line. Through every gear in the DCT the car just continues to pull hard. I personally could not feel the dip that DINAN has stated, but a future dyno may show it. The downshifts are now more apparent as there is more sound from the exhaust now. It almost sounded like there was rev-matching throttle-blip downshifts similar to my old SMG-II E46 m3, which I loved.
With over 100 miles since the installation I am completely happy with my choice and look forward to every mile I drive. There is no drone and under normal city driving you will not even notice a difference in tone. However, if you decide to get on it, everyone will definitely know that you mean business.

Special Thanks to Greg Dalgarn and Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale for the installation. I highly recommend them and their shop. http://www.ultimateautoworks.com/

On to the Pics! (sorry they are with my iPhone)

Here are some shots of the stock mid-pipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #32
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
Great review!
Please, people - don't repost all the pictures for a one sentace response!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #33
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hey just got mine on today!! oh man you were so right it is awesome thank you for the feedback as i was a bit wishy washy on doing it. i am so happy i did. the sound is prob the best part but the extra power is equally awesome

i don't have the diff yet but i plan to get it. so i can imagine yours must really rip!!

do you notice it has a certain sound btw 3-5k then after that it takes on a completly different tone?? i think it is awesome how it does that

thanks again

H

Glad to help and glad you are happy with your setup. I absolutely love my setup right now with the DINAN mid-pipe, exhaust, software and diff. It just shreds up to redline and when cruising I find myself punching it a little just to hear the tone in the 3500 - 5000 range. I could not be happier with tone.

I hope to post more vids soon!

Thanks

GTS

Last edited by biglare; 10-02-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #34
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

me too. it got down to like 40 degrees last night so i went out for a nice cruise late night just to hear the car rip in the nice cool weather lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Glad to help and glad you are happy with your setup. I absolutely love my setup right now with the DINAN mid-pipe, exhaust, software and diff. It just shreds up to redline and when cruising I find myself punching it a little just to hear the ton in the 3500 - 5000 range. I could not be happier withe tone.

I hope to post more vids soon!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #35
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

Any dyno's on exhaust. This is useless without proof of gains.. I'm not spending 4k for 22hp..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #36
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the midpipe is not 4k it is 2300 and with the 10% discount even less now. i don't have a dyno done and i am not gonna either from all the dynos i have seen on here none of them are consistent and hard to tell if they are really correct. i know i feel the extra 23hp and 21tq i don't need a dyno

there is dyno results here if you want. don't buy it then your loss

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
Any dyno's on exhaust. This is useless without proof of gains.. I'm not spending 4k for 22hp..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a Dyno from last Friday. It was almost 100 degrees out so, there was no benefit from any lower temperatures.

I used Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale, AZ and they use a Dyno Dynamics setup there.

Sorry, I do not have a baseline to measure against so please do not ask. This was my car's first Dyno.

Let me know if you have any questions.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #38
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

I'd be curious to see the dyno from 2K rpm to see the low end response. The dyno numbers seem low, thats right around factory numbers?
how come you didnt pull it all the way to the 8600 RPM fuel cut off?
Just my opinion, but you should ask for a 'redo', this dyno run seems incomplete?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #39
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The rev limiter is 8400 rpm, not 8600.
      10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #40
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

stock is 8400 with dinan software it is 8600 which he has if he has the midpipe as it is required

Quote:
The rev limiter is 8400 rpm, not 8600.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #41
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

so 23 hp with just x pipe? How about the ecu? Or is more like x pipe and ecu, which is more like 23 hp and the cat back which would bring it to almost 4k..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #42
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so 23 hp with just x pipe? How about the ecu? Or is more like x pipe and ecu, which is more like 23 hp and the cat back which would bring it to almost 4k..
Yes, it is almost $4K for the entire exhaust, mid-pipe and software.

The 23hp is for the x-pipe and their software. Dinan makes you buy their software to eliminate the CEL as the cats are removed.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #43
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Quote:
the quoted HP increase is with JUST the midpipe (not rwhp mind you), the software and catback HP gains are supposed to be cumulative.
4K for software and a complete header back exhaust system is not out of line, not a screaming deal by any means but right in line with other manufacturers it seems.
I couldnt be more satisfied with the Dinan set up, the car is responsive, no reverb on the highway, a nice howl when you're on it, and isnt tuned on the ragged edge. I am a little worried about Dinans decision to move the redline up to 8600 rpm as its pretty easy to bounce off of it if you're not careful, but the fuel cut off is pretty harsh so I think the chances of running it to 8700+ would be almost nil
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #44
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
the quoted HP increase is with JUST the midpipe (not rwhp mind you), the software and catback HP gains are supposed to be cumulative. l

How can anyone quote a crank dyno number here.? Did he pull the engine to test it or what. Is he just reading Dinan's propaganda and spouting it here?

BTW, those results are NOT cumulative. I'll bet you're talking under 15hp at the rear wheels with the complete package. Of course, there was probably failure to establish baseline runs, so we'll never know.

Dave