BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Finance help please- URGENT

When calculating Return on INvestment (ROI), the formula is Net income/ long-term liabilities + equity. What is equity? Is that total shareholder's equity? or is that just common equity?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

shareholders
      03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
When calculating Return on INvestment (ROI), the formula is Net income/ long-term liabilities + equity. What is equity? Is that total shareholder's equity? or is that just common equity?
money you get back on your investment = how much money the investment brings in (net)/how much the investment owes + how much money was put in

i think....
      03-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
99% of the time when a finance teacher is talking about equity he/she is referring to shareholders. I think one of the hardest things about fiance is every professor has a little different meaning for each term and you just have to learn it at the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
99% of the time when a finance teacher is talking about equity he/she is referring to shareholders. I think one of the hardest things about fiance is every professor has a little different meaning for each term and you just have to learn it at the beginning.
Yeah. I'm just unsure which I'm supposed to use. On the financial reports, it will say something like (this is from Apple's reports)

Shareholder's equity:
Common stock ...
Retained Earnings...
Accumulated other comprehensive income...
Total Shareholder's Equity

So if I'm looking for Return on Equity, am I supposed to use Total Shareholder's Equity or Common stock which is part of equity?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Yeah. I'm just unsure which I'm supposed to use. On the financial reports, it will say something like (this is from Apple's reports)

Shareholder's equity:
Common stock ...
Retained Earnings...

So if I'm looking for Return on Equity, am I supposed to use Total Shareholder's Equity or Common stock which is part of equity?
Total Shareholder Equity is the complete investment that the owners have in the company. That's what you should use for ROE.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:

Shareholder's equity:
Common stock ...
Retained Earnings...

You will catch on... Dont sweat it until the test try and learn all the professors terms by then.. It gets tough when your doing accounting and a fin class since items like profit you have accounting profit vs fin profit ect and we analyze stuff different in finance by using NOPAT and other methods that we dont use to analyze junk in accounting and sometimes in accounting you have to chose an answer you know that would be wrong in finance class but its right in accounting.( In terms of analyzing a company)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
You will catch on... Dont sweat it until the test try and learn all the professors terms by then.. It gets tough when your doing accounting and a fin class since items like profit you have accounting profit vs fin profit ect and we analyze stuff different in finance by using NOPAT and other methods that we dont use to analyze junk in accounting and sometimes in accounting you have to chose an answer you know that would be wrong in finance class but its right in accounting.( In terms of analyzing a company)

I've already taken finance class and passed with 96% in the class. The only thing is that we never really went over ROI and ROE so now I'm a little bit confused. I've asked many people who are majoring in corporate finance and even they dont know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've already taken finance class and passed with 96% in the class. The only thing is that we never really went over ROI and ROE so now I'm a little bit confused. I've asked many people who are majoring in corporate finance and even they dont know for sure.
I hope your kidding.. Even in basic finance we got drilled on ROI and ROE and like 15-20 other formulas. Even in basic acct we had to learn them all also. Heck my major acct project was taking a company and making an excel spread sheet with 15-20 different things form ROI ROE WACC Turnover ect.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

That's because finance is total bullshit, no matter what you analyze or project, you almost will never hit the hammer on the nail, and if you did its because of pure shit luck.

ROI is what you invested ROE is what equity your concerned with, either it be shareholders or the company.

I'm in accounting and I'm currently doing a financial forecasting project and I realize now that this stuff is total bs...I don't understand business anymore, especially since its so easy to play off losses and mess with financial statements in Accordance with GAAP in order to meet with ST goals. My stat teacher told us the Stock Market is a ponzi scheme and I totally agree now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
That's because finance is total bullshit, no matter what you analyze or project, you almost will never hit the hammer on the nail, and if you did its because of pure shit luck.

ROI is what you invested ROE is what equity your concerned with, either it be shareholders or the company.

I'm in accounting and I'm currently doing a financial forecasting project and I realize now that this stuff is total bs...I don't understand business anymore, especially since its so easy to play off losses and mess with financial statements in Accordance with GAAP in order to meet with ST goals. My stat teacher told us the Stock Market is a ponzi scheme and I totally agree now.
Took you that long?

One of the reasons now that I am putting my biz degree on hold and taking science classes next semester and going into medicine. For a while I wanted to run an investment fund but then I realized I probably couldnt sleep at night and thats not the life style for me.
Appreciate 0