BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

02-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #45
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
The world is a big place. I wouldn't expect you to know who I am.

Geeze man, I said I would GROVEL at your feet and your still upset.

Just come back with some dyno graphs and put it to rest
It's not my tune, boss. Just my car. I will be the first to admit I don't have the expertise to tune the platform, because that's not where my business interests lie.

If the tuner chooses to pop into the thread, so be it. He knows the thread exists.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i

Last edited by Ron1n; 02-25-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #46
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
When you post SAE dyno plots of your tune putting down consistent 400whp on multiple cars I will grovel at your feet. I would run the tune myself.

Put up or shut up.
This is a fair challenge. OP's data and price should speak for itself - nothing personal about it. Lets see it. OP is making a lot of claims and speculation on tuners in the market. Lets see those claims proven.

I literally dyno'd 10x NA S65's on a single day and all of the FBO cars were 5-10WHP apart. There was no huge edge for one over another. I run a BPM tune because of his service, proven record and other coding options. He totally dialed my car in after the s65 swap making everything work like my cluster and mdm button and he also coded some nice servotronic features and euro mdm. He is excellent and well worth the price for his expertise. ( In my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #47
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
So, we were able to pull the stock file from the car (because mine is a DCT, the stock pull includes not only the ECU data, but the transmission data, as well. This means that the pull takes a bit longer to grab than normal).

We talked a bit last night, and we're currently looking at a lot of different changes, not just in performance, but in drivability:
  1. Throttle Response
  2. Fuel mileage
  3. E85 variant tune
  4. Speed limiter removed
  5. Redline bump from 8200 to ???
  6. Launch control adjustments below 4500RPM
  7. Cold Cat delete
  8. Other options/ideas you guys propose

Feel free to provide other feedback as to what we can look at and work with, and what you guys are interested in out of your tune.
Earth shattering, never been done before...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #48
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k4
Quote:
So, we were able to pull the stock file from the car (because mine is a DCT, the stock pull includes not only the ECU data, but the transmission data, as well. This means that the pull takes a bit longer to grab than normal).

We talked a bit last night, and we're currently looking at a lot of different changes, not just in performance, but in drivability:
  1. Throttle Response
  2. Fuel mileage
  3. E85 variant tune
  4. Speed limiter removed
  5. Redline bump from 8200 to ???
  6. Launch control adjustments below 4500RPM
  7. Cold Cat delete
  8. Other options/ideas you guys propose

Feel free to provide other feedback as to what we can look at and work with, and what you guys are interested in out of your tune.
Earth shattering, never been done before...
You chose to make one of your 95 posts in my thread? Thanks!

Curious. How many tuners are you aware of that have a functioning, solid E85 tune for the S65? Share with us your wisdom about what has and hasn't been done before?

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #49
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Threads like this get out of hand so quickly and so predictably. The pattern is simple:

1) OP posts something hard to believe given the current offerings with strong conviction about much improved results with no proof available
2) One or more people challenge the possibility of much improved results especially since there's no proof available
3) Bickering continues as the heat rises
4) Others grab some popcorn
5) Some people express hope it could be true
6) Put up or shut up is thrown down
7) Bickering continues
8) A long wait ensues for the requested proof
9) Thread goes so cold it's dead or on the rare occasion the proof is presented where a few people eat crow and everyone else rejoices that it's true

Let's break the pattern by either waiting to create the thread until verifiable results are available or tone down the conviction that the desired results will actually manifest. Both options lead to a better experience for all and a better "image" for the person or company trying to achieve the desired results.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #50
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:

Curious. How many tuners are you aware of that have a functioning, solid E85 tune for the S65? Share with us your wisdom about what has and hasn't been done before?
Not many out there are switching to E85 without FI, if any (as DC for the injectors will max out beyond E3X.) BPM does have an E30 tune that he put together for MFL; thus to answer a better informed question:
How many tuners are you aware of that have a functioning, solid ethanol tune?
At least 1, BPM.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #51
Maypo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IBM E92

First things first, for me. I would love to have a local option (which was the thrust of the initial post) for "canned tunes" with someone who was 1) capable, but 2) willing to open another can. So, I am not looking for proof that this new potential option will make current tuners obsolete, just that they are sufficiently knowledgeable to engage my desire to push the envelope.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #52
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

What the news? Where are the numbers?
      05-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #53
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:

I have a BPM Tune for 30% Ethanol (E30). Been running it for 1.5years. Either way, good on you for testing the waters though! If you can equal their performance for less money, it's a win.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #54
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
I have a BPM Tune for 30% Ethanol (E30). Been running it for 1.5years. Either way, good on you for testing the waters though! If you can equal their performance for less money, it's a win.

Cheers!
Glad to see that E30 tune is holding up man! Haven't seen you since... the airstrip event at Bremerton?? lol. How ya been? Have u put your car on a dyno since?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #55
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
Glad to see that E30 tune is holding up man! Haven't seen you since... the airstrip event at Bremerton?? lol. How ya been? Have u put your car on a dyno since?
It just turned 91,000 miles and is getting BE Rod Bearings and their ARP Rod Bolts here in the next few weeks as a precaution. Then it's off to overhaul the suspension and bushings. Then who knows what. I haven't had a reason to hit the dyno. I may do it again if I buy this other mid-section.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #56
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Then it's off to overhaul the suspension and bushings. Then who knows what.
Nice man, good shit. Just pressed out the bushings for rear subframe and diff earlier this week, hopefully pressing in solid aluminum bushings this weekend. What mid section are you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #57
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
Nice man, good shit. Just pressed out the bushings for rear subframe and diff earlier this week, hopefully pressing in solid aluminum bushings this weekend. What mid section are you looking at?
I already have my Mastermind sitting in the garage. I put my catted mid-section in over the winter and haven't gone back as of yet. I'll be doing aluminum subframe bushings as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #58
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

+1, when you think about it, there is really only one optimal map for maximum power, within the limits of safety. One optimal A/F ratio, one optimal vanos setting, one optimal ignition timing that all taken together under different loads will produce the maximum power. And being a target-based closed loop system, depending on conditions, the ECU tries to hit those targets. If any pre-detonation or detonation is detected by the ionic sensors, the ECU will pull timing, increased IATs may cause the mixture to richen up, etc. The question is are these tuners setting targets that are optimal and achievable given the fuel quality.

There are a few big-name tuning consultants out of Europe that will work with many tuners (at the wholesale level) around to world to help tailor optimal maps, or emphasize certain characteristics, i.e. higher revving, fuel cutoffs at high revs, timing targets and engine knock control intervention thresholds, increased torque at low end, etc, throttle mapping for feel, slightly different settings for intake/exhaust and other mods. MOST tunes have maps that are sanctioned by these few tuners who do the consulting, who also do quite a bit of work with racing vehicles. Most tunes are quite safe and don't target outrageous A/F or timing targets to let the ECU constantly intervene so that the engine is straddling the line between max power and overly aggressive targets or intervention thresholds

To me its the other differentiating factors that make a tune special, specifically VANOS adjustments at idle which can have a large impact on smoothness, servotronic adjustments for better feel (and they are not created equally), MT launch control, the right throttle response under the different modes and cold start engine protection. I know of only a few european tuners and BPM Sport in the US that offer some of these features (BPM offers the all).

Quote:
There is no secret to tuning these motors. The DME is target based. You enter the parameters you want to hit and the computer does the rest. Short of discovering a miracle there will be no difference to the current tunes out there.
Appreciate 0