BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv

Garage List
Remote Radar/Laser shifter install

A buddy has the Beltronics RX75 remote radar/laser system on his Range Rover and has had awesome results, so when I got my first speeding ticket (3 weeks after owning my little E93 M) I decided to pull the trigger.

Found one on eBay used but complete. After checking the wiring for any issues and contacting Bel for replacement pieces I was underway. I think the coolest thing about this install is that I did NOT have to remove the bumper to do it!

Sure I got a few scrapes here and there, but it was totally worth it not having to deal with removing all that. That part really intimidated me.

Luckily where I decided to mount was at the top of the lower side intake scoops as close to the headlights as possible. This allowed me to run the wiring through the connection of the bumper scoops to the air tunnels behind them. Clean and simple.

If anyone's interested I can go through a step-by-step. I just wanted to put this out there before loading all the pics up. Thanks!

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know that Laser Interceptor offers a very cool vertical option for aligning the shifters inside the vertical slats of the kidney grills, but I really wanted a horizontal option with a radar component combined.

As you can see they're not completely stealth, but unless you know what to look for you're never going to see them.

Also as you can see I integrated the mute/volume button and LED warning light into the headlight assembly. I think it turned out really nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Adeybbc
Rep
Drives: STi

Nice install - looks pretty discreet to me. Does this install allow you to JTK so you can slow down after the alert and let them take a reading?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Thanks for doing this. I am planning on installing some sort of laser shifter on my E92 when it arrives (my E46 had one since I bought it), so I would appreciate the step-by-step, if you don't mind.
      03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Sweet! I'm looking to make this purchase as well. ESS kit may get me into some trouble lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Another option with mounting that I have done is drill into the RPI scoops andi ins underneath. Completely hidden from the eye and any road debris while still being close to the lights
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I would love to do this but hate the big ugly black boxes that you have to attach to the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeybbc View Post
Nice install - looks pretty discreet to me. Does this install allow you to JTK so you can slow down after the alert and let them take a reading?
Thanks! Yep, the mute button will kill the lasers for 2 minutes when you press it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3 View Post
Thanks for doing this. I am planning on installing some sort of laser shifter on my E92 when it arrives (my E46 had one since I bought it), so I would appreciate the step-by-step, if you don't mind.
You got it. The E92 will be easier than the E93 for the simple fact that my trunk opens from the front AND the back for the top. It took a lot of thought to make sure I wasn't going to tear the cable in 2 when the top goes up/down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Another option with mounting that I have done is drill into the RPI scoops andi ins underneath. Completely hidden from the eye and any road debris while still being close to the lights
I saw some installs that did this! It looks great, but people expressed concern that the slats of the grill would not allow a perfect view of the road. If yours is working well you lucked out. I would prefer your way but was worried I wouldn't get the emitters to spread across the road completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I would love to do this but hate the big ugly black boxes that you have to attach to the front.
I agree with your opinion. They boxes are large, but it's good insurance against being caught speeding without realizing. And the only one that really bothers me is the one on the rear plate. It's too obvious, but I'm looking for a plate frame that has more substance I can modify so it looks more built into it rather than just sitting there on top.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Nice install. What about relocating the mute button to the ashtray?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
Nice install. What about relocating the mute button to the ashtray?
I thought about my options and that would require me to open the ashtray to use it. This way, at least for me, cuts down on steps and is more second nature. I like all the ideas tho!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I agree with your opinion. They boxes are large, but it's good insurance against being caught speeding without realizing. And the only one that really bothers me is the one on the rear plate. It's too obvious, but I'm looking for a plate frame that has more substance I can modify so it looks more built into it rather than just sitting there on top.
This is a good point. I agree with what Matt (THE TECH) said, as the units are a bit of an eyesore.

My single LI unit on my E46 is just fixed on my front lower grill. It's ridiculously conspicuous, especially since I don't have a front plate, but if you don't know what you're looking for, it honestly looks like a front plate bracket. Sort of.

I'm actually shocked that I haven't been hassled about it by any LEO in the 7 years I've been driving the car. I've gotten no front plate tickets, 100+ MPH tickets (paced), illegal lane change tickets, you name it - no mention of the laser shifter sitting smack on my front bumper. You'd think every cop would know what it is and get me in trouble about it. Never happened. (Knock on wood.)

The funny thing is I actually bought the car CPO'd from a BMW dealer, with the LI units and radar detectors hardwired on the car. The install is so clean that even the BMW CPO inspection didn't catch it, LOL. It also creates a great excuse/lawsuit if I ever get a ticket for it.

I definitely look forward to a cleaner install on my E92 thanks to your DIY.
      03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wow, that is crazy. The CPO guys didn't even notice it!? That's a cool bonus for you. Installation was a pain, but I still am so happy I got to do it. I saved a couple hundred from a stereo install guy 'trying' to figure out exactly what I wanted. And I get the impression they figure out how the different dash/door/trunk panels eject just like you would. Might as well enjoy tinkering as much as I can, right?

Pics to come!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Wow, that is crazy. The CPO guys didn't even notice it!? That's a cool bonus for you. Installation was a pain, but I still am so happy I got to do it. I saved a couple hundred from a stereo install guy 'trying' to figure out exactly what I wanted. And I get the impression they figure out how the different dash/door/trunk panels eject just like you would. Might as well enjoy tinkering as much as I can, right?

Pics to come!
They obviously didn't notice, since they were selling a vehicle with equipment illegal in that state and most others. The dealer was in NY and it was somewhat hard to find LSB as it had just been discontinued. I bought the car sight unseen. When it arrived it had the full hardwired radar detector systems front and rear, and front mounted Laser Interceptor.

You'd think they'd at least mention the equipment or something, if not actually tell me how to use it - it was going absolutely nuts all the time while I was driving and I couldn't find the source for weeks until I found the LEDs and switch hidden underneath the armrest. Then I toyed around with it and realized what it was. I was so pumped when I found out how lucky I was

With this system, I've driven right past a stationary cop, pointing his laser gun right at me while I whisk by him going 65+ in a 45, while I see him aiming and re-aiming his gun at me to try to get a reading. He didn't even bother to get in his car.

So yeah, my goal is to recreate that system on my new car. This time I have to do it myself, but thankfully for this awesome forum, I now can
      03-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll be taking all the pics and loading them today. Good luck with your install!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In the intakes you'll see how the wiring fits between the bumper intake and the scoop fitting behind it. What I initially did was use an old length of coax cable and fished it back there first. It's pliable and allows you to fish through the cables after you see it poking through behind the grills in the next step.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Unscrew these 4 bolts to gain access behind the grills. Here you'll be able to install the radar receiver on the black plastic cover that sits behind and just below the grills. Also you'll use that coax we talked about and continue working it back and forth until you see it appear in the open space behind the cover. It took about 10 minutes to trying to get a successful bend in the cable. After that the other side took about 3 minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Once I had the cables behind the grills I ran them to the nearest headlight and back through the radiator support. There's an opening near the headlights that's perfect for this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
At this point, remove the two screws holding the air scoop to the radiator support and pull out the plastic intake above the fan to gain access to the clips you'll be stuffing your wiring into for the perfect stock look. Begin to route the wiring to the driver's side of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For my setup, there's an S-Video type connector for the radar receiver that extends the cable another 13 or so feet. It just happened to be located in this cool little pocket near the air filter. I zip tied everything down and wrapped it all with electrical tape so it would look like the rest of the wiring resting near it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Now we need to get it through the firewall. First, pull the little strainer bucket out of the downspout so it doesn't fall inside the engine. Then you'll use your fingers to push 2 rubber locking tabs that are attaching the rubber downspout to the cabin air filter / windshield wiper cover assembly. There are 2 on each side of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Using a 10mm socket, remove the 4 bolts shown on each side of the car. 6 will hold each side's air filter on and the last 2 will hold the entire cover assembly on the car. You'll notice the 2 that hold the assembly to the car are threaded like a bolt and the other 6 are screws.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Pull the air filters away. The driver's side has wiring connected. Just move it out of the way. The passenger side can be completely removed. Also on the passenger side you'll notice a sensor that needs to be disconnected. Rotate it upward and it should come out of its housing. Then just pull up on the retainer clips to move it out of the way.

Another clip must be removed - the windshield washer supply line. Unclip it and move it aside.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0