BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

05-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

DIY Replacing radiator hose

So I was installing new engine belts and had everything finished up and while I was putting the radiator fan back in, I sheared one of the small radiator hoses . On this diagram it's the small plastic nipple sticking out the side of part number 4 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0433). I was planning on ordering parts #4(1), #1(1), #2(2), but there's a small hose section that connects #4 and #1 that doesn't have its own number on the diagram. Does anyone know if it is included with #4 or #1?

================================================== ================================================== =========

Ok, got this done - wasn't too bad.

I ended up only using #4 (11537838214) and #1 (17122283591). For the hose clamps (#2), you would really only need 1 because the vent pipe already comes with one on there, however I would highly suggest using a worm clamp instead so you can unplug the vent pipe to be able to remove your radiator fan more easily in the future if needed.

In the first picture, you can see the tip that broke off. It didn't take much force honestly, just too much heat made it brittle over time I guess. In the second picture, you can't really see too well, but the tip is stuck in the hose.

In the third picture you can see all 3 connections boxed in yellow. So you have the nipple that connects to the vent pipe, one side of the main hose connecting to the radiator (pic 4), and one side of the main hose connecting to the block/thermostat (pic 5). For the 2 connections of the main hose, there's just a simple clip that holds the hose on by blocking the flange from being removed. You can see the clip by itself and on the hose in the closed position in pictures 6 and 7. To remove this clip, just get a screwdriver and pry it up by the top/middle, it will come off quite easily. Then all you need to do is pull the hose off the flange.

Pro tip: have a bunch of rags/shop towels ready, because when you pull the hose off the block/thermostat side, a lot of coolant will start to gush out. I stuffed a heavy duty rag in the hole to try and stop the flow as much as possible.

The fitment is pretty tight, so it can be tricky pulling it off - ESPECIALLY on the radiator side. Because the flange that sticks out on the radiator is plastic and seems like it wouldn't be too hard to break off. Unfortunately, I don't have a surefire method of getting it off. All I can tell you is that I used a screwdriver between the hose and the flange connection to gently pry/loosen the hose. After that I ended up cutting the majority of the hose off so I could get a better grip with a pair of pliers. It took about 15 minutes of carefully twisting it (not too much!!) and pulling as perfectly horizontally as possible to finally get it off...and I still slammed my hand full force into the engine when it finally broke free

There is another one of those clips holding the vent pipe to the expansion tank (pic 8), but the clip and vent pipe should detach with no drama.

The new hoses come with clips already, so you don't need to reuse your old ones. Just take the new clips off and slide each end over its respective flange.

Then, you can see in picture 9, I attached the vent pipe to the nipple coming off the main hose and then added the worm clamp shown in picture 10.

Lastly, you need to refill your expansion tank to make up for the fluid that inevitably came out.

-
Attached Images

Last edited by M3MPH1S; 05-19-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Whoops, should have done more searching first. Just stressed out...

From the ECS picture it looks like it comes with part #1

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/17122283591/

However since I've got the thread going...are there any other parts I will need to replace this hose?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      08-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
philmeister4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray, Fox Red 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013.99 BMW M3  [0.00]
Literally just encountered the same dilemma. Thanks for the DIY, pics And links!

2013.99 E92 | 6MT | ZCP | Macht Schnell Underdrive Pulleys | BPM Sport Stage II Tune | RPI Scoops | AFE Elite Stage 2 Pro5R Intake | ESS X-pipe HFC | UUC Corsa Exhaust | Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Budge
Professional Trophy Husband
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT

I can't believe I found this thread. I'm replacing my alternator and did the exact same thing when pulling my radiator fan out. I just ordered part #4 since my part #1 seems fine. I need to pull the old clamp off of part #1. I was going to pick up a new BMW clamp, but apparently it requires a special tool. And the worm gear would make it easier to deal with in the future. Great write up with pictures. Thank you.

BTW, in my case, I'm going to have to cut the old clamp off. I talked to my friend who works on BMWs and he said to use only the worm clamps that don't have cutouts in the band. He says those will eventually cut the hose and cause a leak. I see in your pics that you used the one he warned me against. Just FYI.

Last edited by Budge; 05-19-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00
      11-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
thenewtomsawyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

Did you guys have any issues with your belts after doing this? I pulled the block side off first and got a lovely torrent of coolant on my drive belts and now I'm looking at another order to finish of this repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtomsawyer View Post
Did you guys have any issues with your belts after doing this? I pulled the block side off first and got a lovely torrent of coolant on my drive belts and now I'm looking at another order to finish of this repair.
I got a good bit of coolant on my belts as well, but I never cleaned it off or put new belts (they had just recently been replaced) and never had any issues. The friction from the pulley combined with the heat emitted from the engine should be enough to "burn" any residue off.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      11-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You can also hose them down or at least dump some water on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
thenewtomsawyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

Ended up dumping some water on mine, taking a break from the install due to the weather. Just got everything back together and after a second of slip everything ran perfectly fine. Seemed like my belts were pretty new so I wasn't too worried.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

This literally just happened to me while trying to remove the radiator assembly in order to install under drive pulleys. Thanks for posting this!
Any tips/tricks for removing the broken nipple from part #1? Also, how did you remove the OEM metal clamp?
      11-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
This literally just happened to me while trying to remove the radiator assembly in order to install under drive pulleys. Thanks for posting this!
Any tips/tricks for removing the broken nipple from part #1? Also, how did you remove the OEM metal clamp?
That entire hose gets replaced, and the new hose has one clamp tightened and one loose so you can just slide it off if I remember correctly. otherwise, just use some angled snips/pliers
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
That entire hose gets replaced, and the new hose has one clamp tightened and one loose so you can just slide it off if I remember correctly. otherwise, just use some angled snips/pliers
I was hoping to salvage the existing hose and just pull the broken nipple out of it. Obviously I'd have to buy some new clamp for that side.
      11-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

coolant on belts

Hey guys just was curious so I'm going to ask a dumb question. What is the concern with getting coolant on the belts? does it attack the belt material? I've never been concerned with it in the past, but I see it mentioned here a few times so I thought I'd ask.
      11-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #13
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
coolant causes the belt to slip and reduce the drive of the accessories on the belt besides it wears / burns it out.
Appreciate 0